• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-12x44 Tactical mil/mil

txgolfer45

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
Texas, USA
Would this be a good starter scope for getting into long range shooting in addition to hunting? It's got mildots and mil adjustments for elevation and windage and an illuminated reticle. If so, the Nightforce may have to wait as the price on the Bushnell appears to be very good.

Re: Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-12x44 Tactical mil/mil

They are discontinued so you had better hurry and buy one. If the choice is between the bushy and a NF, get the NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are discontinued so you had better hurry and buy one. If the choice is between the bushy and a NF, get the NF. </div></div>

Like others, I'm also waiting on new Viper PST and Sightron SIII models. I got to handle a Nightforce today. It was excellent. But, also $1500 for base model and up to $1800 for high speed turrets and zero stop. The Bushnell claims 80 inches of elevation adjustment. So, it is similar to the Viper PST and Sightron models.

BCP, that is the problem, I'm still not sure what I want. The ultimate for me would be a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 with high speed turrets and zero stop. But, at about half the cost, the Vortex Viper PST could be a good alternative. I lose top end magnification on the Sightron SIII unless I go up in magnification to 6-24x50.

Is zero stop on the Nightforce a must have for a 308?

No it's not a must have for any scope but it's nice to have.

10 mil per turn not sure why you'd need a zero stop. My IOR is 10 mil per turn and from a 100 yard zero I can only dial ~10 mils anyways. Would've been nice when I had to dial 42 on my super sniper 10x though.

Honestly if you can't afford to plunk down 2k or more (which is what it'll take to get you an IOR 3-18, Razor HD, NF, USO counting rings bases yadda yadda) then just get the bushnell. For 544 it is a steal and unless you beat the shit out of it or krylon it in your own custom blend of urban tiger stripe whatever camo it'll probably sell used for 450-500 so you won't take a big hit.

I already have the base and rings. Just shopping for a scope. A NF 3.5-15x50 is around $1500 without zero stop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would this be a good starter scope for getting into long range shooting in addition to hunting? It's got mildots and mil adjustments for elevation and windage and an illuminated reticle. If so, the Nightforce may have to wait as the price on the Bushnell appears to be very good. </div></div>

The Bushnell 3-12x44 is the best scope out there for the price! I don't have any complaints with mine at all for what it is and the price point.The F1 is nearly 5 times the cost.I have a NF F1,HS,ZS,H-58 on order.I'm looking forward to trying it and comparing it to my USO and IOR.

Yes.

Great scope. You will not find a better scope for the price. It is arguably the best scope under $1000.

Though I wouldn't compare it to NF, IOR, etc, I LOVE my Elite 4200 3-12x44 ffp, and I have NF and IOR scopes. It does its job admirably and is tough as nails. Very good glass. Very good turrets.

Buy it. You won't regret it.

And it's on sale for a slammin' price at multiple outlets including Midway. If you want it, you'd better hurry.

I just got my Bushnell 4200, was supposed to go shoot today. If they still have them at a clearance price I dont think you will find a better deal out there. I paid 530 plus shipping for mine. A PST would be nice, but I only shoot paper and dont get to shoot very far that often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I already have the base and rings. Just shopping for a scope. A NF 3.5-15x50 is around $1500 without zero stop. </div></div>

The NF for 1500 is a SFP scope.

The Bushy is a FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kengel2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my Bushnell 4200, was supposed to go shoot today. If they still have them at a clearance price I dont think you will find a better deal out there. I paid 530 plus shipping for mine. A PST would be nice, but I only shoot paper and dont get to shoot very far that often. </div></div>

Where did you find it for this price?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chillin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kengel2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my Bushnell 4200, was supposed to go shoot today. If they still have them at a clearance price I dont think you will find a better deal out there. I paid 530 plus shipping for mine. A PST would be nice, but I only shoot paper and dont get to shoot very far that often. </div></div>

Where did you find it for this price? </div></div>

You can't anymore. Those were the Elite 4200 tactical models that are now discontinued. Now they are just called elite tactical and have more elevation. They go anwhere from 700ish to 899 now. However, there is a new one posted in optics for sale section right now for 610! Awesome price on a really good scope.