• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 AR Mount

Skeld1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2010
Maine
How would you mount a Bushnell DMR to an an LR-308 or any other AR style rifle? Being a 34mm tube seems to limit the choices. It seems like a cantilever mount of some sort is necessary to get the scope in the correct position but I can only theorize about it; right now I have an EOTech and I have never had a scoped AR.

I have a DPMS Recon 16" 308 that I set up more as a carbine, but I'm kind of thinking of switching it to a DMR-ish setup. And if it doesn't work out I could put the scope on my bolt gun.

There are multiple, high-quality mounts for ARs available with 34mm rings...Aadmount (35mm with 34mm reducers), American Defense Mfg (ADM), Badger Ordnance 1pc Ringmounts, Larue...etc., etc.

To get the scope forward enough to not cause you issues...you will want some degree of offset (how much will depend on you, how you are running the rifle, etc., etc.).

I've had that scope on a on a flat top AR with a Badger 22 MOA riser and Seekins low rings, a Badger 1 piece and also a JP one piece mount. They all do the job. Now that I don't have to swap that scope back and forth I'd like to get a second set of Seekins lows so I could run my second G2DMR on the POF with the Badger riser. I like that setup better than the other two I've ran, mainly because it was the perfect height and has the elevation built into the base. Maybe someone makes a one piece with about 20 minutes built in that sits at just the right height though because I don't really like stacking rings on risers... Guess I'll keep an eye on this thread too. Not sure about you but I don't care for QD on a rig like that. The right Spuhr would be great but I'd need to sell a few things to get one

OP, are you going to use a BUIS flip up sight? If that is the case then you're going to need a mount that is high enough to clear the sights at the back of the scope or use a riser with some low rings (if you want to swap between your LR-308 and a bolt gun you're going to have to decide which is more important). If you're not going to use a flip up then you don't need super high rings or the riser. Below are some pics of my AD-RECON-SL (super low) 34mm with a Bushnell ET 3.5-21x50. Hopefully this gives you some idea.

0004_SurgeonAICS_7WSM_20130923.jpg

20131019_LMT_Access_0002.jpg

20131019_LMT_Access_0003.jpg

20131019_LMT_Access_0004.jpg

OP, are you going to use a BUIS flip up sight? If that is the case then you're going to need a mount that is high enough to clear the sights at the back of the scope or use a riser with some low rings (if you want to swap between your LR-308 and a bolt gun you're going to have to decide which is more important). If you're not going to use a flip up then you don't need super high rings or the riser. Below are some pics of my AD-RECON-SL (super low) 34mm with a Bushnell ET 3.5-21x50. Hopefully this gives you some idea.

0004_SurgeonAICS_7WSM_20130923.jpg

20131019_LMT_Access_0002.jpg

20131019_LMT_Access_0003.jpg

20131019_LMT_Access_0004.jpg

Lots of great suggestions, thanks. On the AD-Recon-SL, how does that work for height with a non-adjustable cheek weld stock? I'm using the MOE Rifle stock right now. I could live without the BUIS. One other issue I see is whether or not I could get the scope far enough forward with that mount where I don't have the monolithic LMT upper. It looks like some of the other AD mounts are canted really far forward though.

Mine was mounted in a Larue mount and my new XRS is in the same mount. There are a lot of good options out there for quality 34mm ring mounts for AR rifles.

DSC_0325.jpg

You might also check out the new American Rifle Company (ARC) mounts, they are both QR and permanent and they come with a nice little bubble level built in; however, if you use a BUIS then it will block the bubble level (just like on the Spuhr).

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...fle-rings-new-qd-l-unitized-mounts-stock.html - contact Eurooptic directly and tell them you're from the Hide and they'll give you a nice discount.

Get a good grip on your wallet and take a heart pill and then go look at SPUHR mounts.
They will get the job done. 34mm, no problem, I think they even have a cantilever mount if you need to get the scope forward enough. It wasn't a problem on my REPR.

Ha ha. After building a budget bolt rifle, and buying a budget 308 AR, I'm starting to think maybe I should have gone with the "buy once, cry once" theory right from the start...

Ha ha. After building a budget bolt rifle, and buying a budget 308 AR, I'm starting to think maybe I should have gone with the "buy once, cry once" theory right from the start...

Spuhr's are nice, but you don't have to spend that much to get a good mount, there are plenty others to get the job done.

I'm using a Eurooptic mount and it works pretty good. When swapping the mount/scope between rifles it keeps it's zero perfectly.

Eurooptic Alloy Unimount 34mm 28 Moa 1.4" high with bubble level - EuroOptic.com

give it a look.....

Does the placement of the bubble level on that mount render it almost useless? I tried a bubble that mounted directly under the objective, not off to the side and it was awful. Maybe that mount puts the bubble closer to the objective, the one I tried was about 1/2" under it and close to the rail.

Like to hear from others that have used a mount where the bubble is directly under the scope. Is it easy to see the bubble while looking through the scope? I have used USO levels and Hollands that are offset and like them.

Last edited:
+1 for ADM and Larue, also easy to find used! I like the quick-releases best as I own too few scopes at this time. I like the USO bubble levels so I would not use one mounted on the mount. The only BUIS I I use with scopes on an AR is the MAD by GG&G and it clears any scope combo thus far for me.

Does the placement of the bubble level on that mount render it almost useless? I tried a bubble that mounted directly under the objective, not off to the side and it was awful. Maybe that mount puts the bubble closer to the objective, the one I tried was about 1/2" under it and close to the rail.

Like to hear from others that have used a mount where the bubble is directly under the scope. Is it easy to see the bubble while looking through the scope? I have used USO levels and Hollands that are offset and like them.

Yeah that level bubble is almost useless. It's small, hard to see and the objective pretty much covers it up. I'd go with a Hollands' any day.

I almost forgot it was there!! :O

e9eqyrug.jpg

Here is my 3.5-21 in an adm recon 20 MOA mount

That is the rail mounted level that I tried and had to break position to see it. Needless to say it never made it to the range or woods. Hopefully it works better for you, with the setup I had the level was too far from the center of the scope and I couldn't see it.

That is the rail mounted level that I tried and had to break position to see it. Needless to say it never made it to the range or woods. Hopefully it works better for you, with the setup I had the level was too far from the center of the scope and I couldn't see it.

The level doesn't work for me either. Not only is is impossible to see it is not precise at all. I have a USO on the way. This is my third adm recon mount and they work great for me.

A Nightforce Unimount worked well for me, mounting the Bushnell 34mm ERS. I also used the very excellent Holland's signature series level. Both worked out great, I just need to get back out and wring this rig out! CKruse

I'm thinking of trying the AADMOUNT 20MOA 35mm but am unsure about using the inserts for a 34mm tube -- is there any downside to using inserts?

Or the American Rifle Company M10QDL.

I don't suppose anyone has run both?

I'm thinking of trying the AADMOUNT 20MOA 35mm but am unsure about using the inserts for a 34mm tube -- is there any downside to using inserts?

Not really, if they're quality inserts made of delrin or some other polymer, as long as the rings are torqued properly they should hold just fine and they won't mar your scope as much as some other rings out there. I just sold my AD Recon-SL mount that I've had on my Bushnell for almost a year, after removing the mount I was surprised to see that I could find no marring whatsoever on my scope. I was using it mostly on my 7mm WSM so it was taking some recoil.

Not really, if they're quality inserts made of delrin or some other polymer, as long as the rings are torqued properly they should hold just fine and they won't mar your scope as much as some other rings out there. I just sold my AD Recon-SL mount that I've had on my Bushnell for almost a year, after removing the mount I was surprised to see that I could find no marring whatsoever on my scope. I was using it mostly on my 7mm WSM so it was taking some recoil.

I wasn't thinking about marring, but that's good to know. My concern -- which may be entirely unfounded -- was whether or not there's any issue regarding coming loose or losing accuracy over time due to wear, or hot sun, or ???, with the plastic inserts. I just didn't know one way or the other.

Last edited:
I would not be the subject matter expert in this area so I'll leave the answering to someone who has experience using inserts; however, inserts are a popular option when you don't have a ring lapping kit to ensure the scope is not warped in any way when torquing it down. That being said, with a ring mount (as long as you buy a good quality mount) it will be machined to within such tight tolerances you should not lap the rings anyway. In fact, I spoke with Seekins some time back about lapping their rings and they told me that would actually take them out of spec because they are machined in serial numbered pairs.

Nice rifles JL.

Here is my P308 with JP mount. It works fine with a PRS stock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 22
First thing... If you had used the search function or even browsed the first 2 pages in this Forum, you would have already have any awnsers that you have recieved in here
Second thing.... Ignore 90% of the advice in here, as its poor to downright shitty advice.
Third Thing....Anyone who says larue, or any QD mount, you should just place on ignore now as they are not worth listening to on any subject.

Lots of great suggestions, thanks. On the AD-Recon-SL, how does that work for height with a non-adjustable cheek weld stock? I'm using the MOE Rifle stock right now. I could live without the BUIS. One other issue I see is whether or not I could get the scope far enough forward with that mount where I don't have the monolithic LMT upper. It looks like some of the other AD mounts are canted really far forward though.

I apologize for not seeing this earlier. I had a LWRC SPR that did not have the monolithic rail and yes, you are going to run into an issue with those uppers and I would not recommend this mount in that situation, there are so many cantilever mounts available though but they are typically much higher than the SL. AD makes a cantilever mount in the AD-RECON series American Defense MFG, LLC | Browse | Scope Mounts | AD-RECON Scope Mount 30 MOA. Badger also makes a pretty nice semi-cantilevered mount so you might want to check that out - 34 mm 1 Piece Unimount, Extra High (1.3? high / 4.625? long) 20 MOA Aluminum | Badger Ordnance

One other option is to put on a riser or extension, but this is going to increase the height yet again. You're between a rock and a hard place if you don't have a full rail unfortunately.

One other option you might consider is the new American Rifle Company (ARC) M10 QD-S, it is a unique design for use with short rail platforms. It mounts before or after the turrets instead of one before and one after; however, I have no idea about its performance - American Rifle - American Rifle Company, Inc.

First thing... If you had used the search function or even browsed the first 2 pages in this Forum, you would have already have any awnsers that you have recieved in here
Second thing.... Ignore 90% of the advice in here, as its poor to downright shitty advice.
Third Thing....Anyone who says larue, or any QD mount, you should just place on ignore now as they are not worth listening to on any subject.

But if I hadn't asked, what would you have to do this afternoon?

But if I hadn't asked, what would you have to do this afternoon?

HAHA ok you get some style points for that awsner, im litterly LOL.

Just get the Badger 1 piece... for the money there is nothing of its quality out there, and you gain little/nothing with shit that cost 2x as much. Its also one of the lighter options.
For a 16" .308, the DMRG2 is a little heavy. I ran that for a little while and would have liked something lighter. Look at the 3-12 Bushnel FFP G2. 30MM, lots of elevation and ALOT cheaper.
If your .mil/leo, they can be had for around $650. The DMRG2 is a fantastic option, but it will weight down a lighter rifle right quick. The 3-18 MK6 and Vortex 2.50-10x32 are also great options.

My suggestion, ADM Recon if you want something removable, JP Enterprise mount if you're leaving fixed.

I'm running both of these and they are high quality, durable, very well made, and do a great job holding zero if you need to remove / remount the optic on the gun.

I'm using the Alamo Four Star mount as well. Mile High has them for 200.00 and it will clear Magpul BUIS with no other riser. Beware, this advice could be 90% downright shitty.