• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell DMR or Burris XTR II

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    Morning,

I have been looking hard at the Bushnell DMR with the G2 reticle for the SPR A1 I will be picking up. All the reviews I have read on it are good, and it seems it would be a good match for what I intend to use the rifle and scope for (paper, steel, and a little hunting).

I read Lowlights post about the new Burris, and it seems really attractive for the price. Now it has me intrigued. I know its a new scope, but for the price it seems to be a really well made scope, especially if they offer it with the new reticle that was talked about.

For the money, would you rather run the DMR or the XTR II? And why?

I too am curious about a back to back comparison. Not a lot of people have been able to play with the XTR II yet but it looks like a really well made scope from what I have seen online. Can't wait to play with one in person and some more reviews.

If I narrowed down my choices to those two, I'd at least wait to see the new reticle offered by Burris as I'm not too enthused by the GB2. Overall they (the new XTR II line) looks really solid and packs a lot of features into a scope at a nice price but the DMR line is a proven performer and Burris is the new kid on the block in this segment of the optics world. It might pay to let a few other users beta test for you while you wait to see the new reticle. In the mean time you can always throw a Bushnell or SWFA fixed 10x on the gun - shoot now and have a decent backup when you upgrade.

I am using the Burris 8-40 XTR-II currently and really like it. I have had only two short shooting sessions with it, with a long session out to 1K and beyond planned for next week.
    It is on my F-Open gun right now.
    So far I really like it.
    Never used the Bushnell.

Euro Optics has the Bushnell with their Tremor (horus?) reticule for 900 on closeout. If you want a holdover reticule that would be perfect for your rifle. You will not find a better scope for the money.

If you want to dial your shots I think you should look for a used Nightforce. Sometimes I see them used on here for 1100-1200 bucks for the 3-15 base model, or with zero stops if you're lucky. That would be a great scope for you.

The Burris isn't out yet. On paper they look great but I would wait and see. If they turn out to be good scopes there will be sales, there will be used ones in the PX etc. Grab one then.

Have you read this thread yet?
    http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...es/249676-hows-burris-xtr-ii-working-out.html

Morning,

I have been looking hard at the Bushnell DMR with the G2 reticle for the SPR A1 I will be picking up. All the reviews I have read on it are good, and it seems it would be a good match for what I intend to use the rifle and scope for (paper, steel, and a little hunting).

I read Lowlights post about the new Burris, and it seems really attractive for the price. Now it has me intrigued. I know its a new scope, but for the price it seems to be a really well made scope, especially if they offer it with the new reticle that was talked about.

For the money, would you rather run the DMR or the XTR II? And why?

Proven, known quality Japanese made scope versus unproven, unknown quality Philippine made scope.
    Which do you want to trust your money to?

The Burris offering MAY be an excellent scope for the money, but we KNOW the Bushnell IS an excellent scope for the money.

Consider this: If hunting is on the list and you intend to use a FFP scope, illumination becomes very important. Th bushnell does not have illumination, the Burris does, I am not certain, but I believe the entire crosshair illuminates on the Burris, which tends to ruin your night vision. If the illume dims enough, it may not be that big of an issue.

In ref to the reticle. The Burris is basically an enhanced Mil-Dot reticle, which I think is a very good but simple reticle. The DMR reticle is a very well designed reticle and offers some nice enhancements.

For hunting and general use with the occasional match, I would choose the Burris. For serious competition, I'd choose the Bushnell.

My 2¢....I'd also suggest the Bushy. The G2s windage sub tensions would alone be valuable enough to spend the extra $200. I love mine.