• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell DMR2 Compared to others?

shakin_bakin

LT
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2017
I was at Cabelas the other day talking to a fellow shooter who claimed he had some nice optics (such as Razor Gen 2, S&B). He told me I should really get behind the glass of a DMR2 and that if you catch them on sale, they cant be beat for the price. He said the quality was very comparable to his Razor GEN 2.
They didn't have any Razors, or DMR 2's at the store that day so I couldn't look at either. I have a Vortex PST GEN II on back order. Its so far on back order that they sent me an email stating they are returning my money until it ships.
Thus, I thought hmm, well how comparable is a DMR 2... So, has anyone compared a DMR 2 side by side with any other decent glass? I've thought about cancelling my order and getting a Razor GEN II anyhow and I could make the purchase for a DMR2. I'm not willing to drop the $4500 for a S&B, but I would be willing to step into the 2K'ish category for a scope.

(I have looked at a Cronus BTR, side by side with the Viper PST GEN II, and I was not impressed with the Cronus)
**EDIT** I have used the search tool and have been unable to find any comparison information in the Scopes forum.

Wondering these things as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own two DMR IIi's, two Sig Tango6 3-18's and one Athlon Cronus (not BTR) 4.5-29x, so I can only make good comparisons between these three. All three models track well. Glass quality is Cronus>T6>DMR. I got the Cronus on the recent Cabela's deal and it is the best glass I own; similar, but slightly better than, the Sig T6 (which was $719 at Optics Planet a month or two ago). Of these three scopes my fav is the Cronus. But the DMR's are a great value, probably the best value unless something else is on clearance. If going with the DMR I would recommend not getting the illumination because the illuminated models have a thicker crosshair which (for me) makes shooting dots harder.

Reactions: supercorndogs
The retail price for the DMRII, IMHO, is too high. When Bushnell was running its rebate I thought it was a steal. Anything in the $1200-$1300 price range I think it is an excellent buy, but when you start approaching the $1500 mark I would hold out, save up, and go with the Razor GENII or Cronus BTR. You can sometimes find NIB ones in the PX for around $1300. Other options to consider in this price range would be the SWFA 5-20HD and the Steiner T5Xi

I also think Bushnell is a little too proud of the new DMR. If this had come in at the $1200 price point I would like it better. But I do think it's a great scope.

I got to put it side by side with a handful of others at a PRS match where Savage was showcasing some new rifles. They had the new DMR on one of their bolt guns. It's not Gen II Razor glass. Nor do I think overall it's as nice the the Razor. But it's less money than the Razor and I think it's another solid offering from Bushnell. I would own one.

Reactions: Vamike9
Hmm these are very good insights. I’ve looked into the Steiner M5XI 5-25.
I saw a Cronus on sale in real life and passed on it. I compared it side by side with a Viper PST Gen II and the viper just looked better to me.

Have a DMR-ii illuminated coming, eventually, once OP gets them in stock. Didn't realize the thicker reticle for illuminated comment, but will be comparing it to my ERS once it eventually shows up.
Have compared my ERS to PSTs and Razors previously so will be interesting to see how it compares. Would be nice to find someone locally with an XTR-2 to compare to but can only go off internet opinions on that one to date. From what I've seen on glass so far, Razor 2 > ERS >= Gen 1 Razor > PST. YMMV as always.

I saw a Cronus on sale in real life and passed on it. I compared it side by side with a Viper PST Gen II and the viper just looked better to me.

The M5Xi will have better glass and turrets than the DMRII but at a higher price. The T5Xi will have similar glass to the M5Xi, but not as good, and IMHO better turrets than both.

I have not looked through a CRONUS but did a CRONUS BTR and found it very similar to 2k
optics. I did not have the same
opinion on the PST GenII.

Comparing the ERS I think they follow in this order.
Razor Gen 2, T5Xi, DMRII, ERS, PST GenII, XTRII.

Have a DMR-ii illuminated coming, eventually, once OP gets them in stock. Didn't realize the thicker reticle for illuminated comment, but will be comparing it to my ERS once it eventually shows up.
Have compared my ERS to PSTs and Razors previously so will be interesting to see how it compares. Would be nice to find someone locally with an XTR-2 to compare to but can only go off internet opinions on that one to date. From what I've seen on glass so far, Razor 2 > ERS >= Gen 1 Razor > PST. YMMV as always.

It's hard to find an XTR II on a shelf. They sell very well.

It's hard to find an XTR II on a shelf. They sell very well.

I own 3 XTR II's 1 4-20X50 and 2 5-25X50's and they are a solid scope for their price point but to my eyes the clarity is not quite as good as my ERS or my Gen I DMR. close but a little less clear. But a good choice for the $$$$.

Last edited:

The Cronus and PSTII are in different leagues. You missed out big time.

I liked my DMRII, just like the gen before it, it has a small FOV for 3.5 optic, probably because it tunnels from about 4.5 or 5 down 3.5. I would have never seen it as less capable if they would have just made a 5-20. I guess 3.5-21 is their gimmick though. I think it sits right where it should, a little more than the Burris and a little less than the TX5, that is a little less than the Cronus, and I wouldn't trade my Cronus to get my TX5i back. After the upgrade my 3-15 TX5i tracked, the only thing I didn't like about was in low light it was hard to see the numbers through the little windows on the never lost turret. The glass in the Cronus really is impressive.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, the Elite series of scopes still falls under the No Questions Asked Lifetime warranty. The IronClad warranty seems to apply to Engage optics only, though perhaps the website is unclear.

I've had my HDMR II for a bit now. Right now the scopes i have to compare it to are my USO SN-3 and the new Conquest v6 3-18x50 we just put on dad's SAUM. Previously owned a Leupy Mark 6, ERS, LRHS, and a 1-6 Gen II. Have used and sat behind various Gen II 4.5-27s, briefly looked at a 624i, ATACR, and the new XRS 2.

At retail the HDMR II is a bit much but for 1150$ (what i paid) it was a steal. Truthfully that's probably where it should be is the 1300$ area.

First off the glass is not Razor Gen II, ATACR, 624i, USO, etc. etc. quality. It just isn't. The edge to edge clarity isn't there, the resolution isn't there, and in my model it exhibits some serious CA. That's not to say it's bad not by any means, just don't expect 2500$ glass when you're not paying for it to begin with.

I have only compared these briefly, so no low light comparison. Side by side compared to the V6 they seem to trade blows. Being in the same price range they should.. On one hand the V6 controls CA much much better than the Bushy on the other despite having better edge to edge clarity the V6's resolution doesn't seem to be as good as the Bushnell's. Color is good in both though i give the edge to Zeiss in that regard.

I think the most disappointing feature of the Bushnell to me other than the CA control is the clicks. My LRHS had amazing clicks for the cost of the scope. I got it at 800$ and the clicks were phenomenal considering it's price. I expected much of the same with the HDMR II and it's quite the opposite. Usable but mushy. Nothing as bad as say a M5B2 on a Leupold Mark 6, but a lot worse than i was expecting. Also i think my LRHS handled CA a bit better.

The big upgrade for the Bushy this time around compared to the ERS is the coatings. While i haven't compared it side by side with the V6 in low light i did kill the biggest deer of my life two weeks ago with it at dusk. It is a leap from what was severely lacking in the ERS i owned and to some extent the LRHS. Low light performance seems very much improved from what i can remember. The glass despite CA is a step up from the old ERS to my eyes, better resolution, more color pop, and again vastly improved low light performance.

For 1100-1300$ i'd probably get one anything over and i'm looking at the Cronus or a Gen II razor.

I've been looking at a DMR2 for a 308 AR with 20 inch heavy match barrel. Shooting out to 800 yards. I can get a good price on the DMR2, but people seem to be all over the place with their experiences with the scope.

Just don't know if I should double my budget for a gen2 Razor or Steiner Military. Or go for a pst gen2 for a similar price, or a little more for a Stiener T5i.

One thing I like about the DMR2 is the mag range, 3.5-21. If I go with another option I have to drop to 15x on the top, or loose on the bottom and go 5-25x.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've been looking at a DMR2 for a 308 AR with 20 inch heavy match barrel. Shooting out to 800 yards. I can get a good price on the DMR2, but people seem to be all over the place with their experiences with the scope.

Just don't know if I should double my budget for a gen2 Razor or Steiner Military. Or go for a pst gen2 for a similar price, or a little more for a Stiener T5i.

One thing I like about the DMR2 is the mag range, 3.5-21. If I go with another option I have to drop to 15x on the top, or loose on the bottom and go 5-25x.

I have been sitting with this exact same dilemma... except mines going on an RPR.

I really like my HDMR2, for what it's worth. It ticks the boxes I was looking for (good mag range, Horus reticle, 10 mil turrets, locking windage, ffp) all at a price I could afford. previously I had a NF SHV 4-14F1 that I also quite liked however I wanted to get away from the 5 mil turrets and more basic reticle. So far the Bushy has been solid although I only have a lil under 500 rounds under it .

dang.........:mad:

FWIW, I believe the model on sale at Cabelas for $1000 you missed out on was the earlier version of the Cronus 4.5-29x56.

The second generation of this scope sported improved turret markings,parallax adjustment, and battery compartment. It also has a different reticle than the on sale Cronus. This newer version Cronus is marketed as the Cronus BTR.

FWIW, I believe the model on sale at Cabelas for $1000 you missed out on was the earlier version of the Cronus 4.5-29x56.

The second generation of this scope sported improved turret markings,parallax adjustment, and battery compartment. It also has a different reticle than the on sale Cronus. This newer version Cronus is marketed as the Cronus BTR.

Pell is right, it was the Cronus Gen 1. It did not have the BTR. I apologize. I didn't think it looked that good and I compared it side by side with Viper PST GEN II. But that was me personally. They did not have a Razor or a Cronus BTR to compare it to.

Well I broke down and ordered the DMR2 off expertcity. For the current price I figured I'll give it a shot.

Well I broke down and ordered the DMR2 off expertcity. For the current price I figured I'll give it a shot.

I’ve been thinking about the same thing. When you can get it for that price it’s hard not to, but I’m still waiting on the vortex Viper GEN 2 I ordered

I did the same thing. I've been wanting to order a PST II from there, but didn't want to wait months for it. When I saw the current deal I decided I might as well give it a shot. Mine should get here Monday, so about a week after ordering. Definitely beats the Vortex ship times!

Reactions: Brent Parker
I got bored today and strapped my rifle with dmr2 down on my kitchen table and measured a few barns and telephone poles with the g3 reticle. Then did a bit of tracking tests with it....the turrets matched what the reticle measured exactly to 9 mills and back vertically and tracked 4mills windage each way perfectly. Pretty happy about that. Glass is about same as pst gen1 and swfa 3x15. I'll do a more exacting test later but the reticle subtends exactly with my turrets when measuring and dialing at random stuff in the field. Did some stop signs, roof edges to ground, distance of transformers from edge of them to top and or bottom of pole....things that could be easily measured with the reticle at exact spots and checked with turret afterwards. I'm pretty hopefully it'll track like a hound dog when I do a more legit test.

I saw Midway has the new Ers2 listed for sale now. Fwiw.

I'd be sending it back to Bushnell if i thought the glass was comparable to PST Gen I, honestly that's terrible.

I'd be sending it back to Bushnell if i thought the glass was comparable to PST Gen I, honestly that's terrible.
I was setting up my buddies .308, we just mounted a gen 1 PST 4-16 on it. I zeroed it in 4 shots. Punched a quick group of 5, then took that pst straight to a 600 yard square plate and made a hit. Then I got behind my DMR2. I was running the pst at max mag and I was running my DMR2 about 17 power. They both had the same glass resolution, with the pst actually exhibiting less CA around the edges than my dmr2. The Dmr's FOV was alot bigger but the glass was very close in comparison between the two. I'm calling it like it is. Until I get behind some other DMR2's that are obviously better looking than mine I'll hold onto what I've got. Maybe my buddies pst 1 is a rare unicorn with stellar glass. Hell I dunno. Just what I seen on a day that I put over 50 rounds through both scopes and got behind them side by side.

I was setting up my buddies .308, we just mounted a gen 1 PST 4-16 on it. I zeroed it in 4 shots. Punched a quick group of 5, then took that pst straight to a 600 yard square plate and made a hit. Then I got behind my DMR2. I was running the pst at max mag and I was running my DMR2 about 17 power. They both had the same glass resolution, with the pst actually exhibiting less CA around the edges than my dmr2. The Dmr's FOV was alot bigger but the glass was very close in comparison between the two. I'm calling it like it is. Until I get behind some other DMR2's that are obviously better looking than mine I'll hold onto what I've got. Maybe my buddies pst 1 is a rare unicorn with stellar glass. Hell I dunno. Just what I seen on a day that I put over 50 rounds through both scopes and got behind them side by side.

I'm not doubting what you see. I'm just saying i'd be sending it. Unacceptable for the price of the scope. The CA is pretty bad in mine as well but the resolution is on par or better than our V6 conquest, truthfully thought it was better. Though edge to edge clarity and CA the zeiss fared better in. CA is something that i can deal with for what i paid for the scope but from the Gen I PSTs i've personally seen if it was like that i'd be sorely disappointed even at the great price i got the scope at.

A little late on this post but I'd also agree that the DMR2 glass is no where as good as it's price would have you believe.
I'm a fan of Bushnell, they track beautifully but their DMR2 glass isn't even as good as my Bushnell Engage and Nikon Black fx1000, and they're much cheaper optics.
Hopefully Bushnell will improve this issue many seem to have with the clarity.

A little late on this post but I'd also agree that the DMR2 glass is no where as good as it's price would have you believe.
I'm a fan of Bushnell, they track beautifully but their DMR2 glass isn't even as good as my Bushnell Engage and Nikon Black fx1000, and they're much cheaper optics.
Hopefully Bushnell will improve this issue many seem to have with the clarity.

The DMR2 Pro is a *significant* improvement in glass over the standard DMR2, using the same ED Prime glass in the XRS2. MAP on the Pro is roughly $2k.

Reactions: Vamike9 and Basher
That is great to hear, wished they had done that in the first place because it would make a feature rich optic.
Let's just hope that they price it for the budget friendly market they hang their hats on.

That is great to hear, wished they had done that in the first place because it would make a feature rich optic.
Let's just hope that they price it for the budget friendly market they hang their hats on.

Bushnell started doing an across-the-board change in their glass used for their high end products shortly after the DMR2 came out. The Pro just revised the DMR2 to that same level of glass, and the price reflects that. Street price is $2000, and it'll be rare to see it below that due to MAP policies.

Thanks for the info, usually Bushnell doesn't seem to fair too well on the used optic forums for holdibg value.
So we may be able to score some great used deals that way.
Still, I like Bushnell and am glad they're improving the glass on the DMR series.
Take care

I still believe the DMR2 to be one of the most underrated optics in this industry. Their reputation for incredible durability and tracking consistency completely makes up for the mid-tier glass.

Combine that with a solid reticle, illumination, locking wind, integrated throw lever, very good zero stop, all in a compact package—what’s not to like!?

Oh and FWIW just because the glass isn’t ATACR or Kahles good doesn’t mean you can’t shoot a 8” plate at 1k with this optic. All too often the people on this forum get caught up in the glass debate when in all reality all of these $1000+ optics will allow you to shoot whatever the hell you want at whatever range you want.

I agree with you mostly hypn02. It's just that if I have 2 optics which track well, are durable and have great reticles at roughly the same price, I'm choosing the one with better glass.
I'd still opt for a Razor Gen2 3-18 EBR2-C over the DMR2 for no more than they differ in price, especially if purchased used, but that's just me.

I hear you @Vamike9. Perhaps I’m a little biased as I picked up my DMR2 illum G3 for less than 1k during a sale+rebate period. For less than 1k you will NEVER find a better optic.

At $1500 I’d consider a [used 3-18 razor2] , NXS F1 (first choice), used mk5 illum, or two used DMR’s.

If the DMR2 had top tier glass, a .2mil wind reticle, and a slightly better FOV they’d sell a metric shit-ton of em.

Oh where to start on this? Ok, so I have had almost every make of optic under the sun. Bushy has never had the best glass (to me) and I have always found them to bend towards yellow and not that crisp, now things may have changed in the past few years???? The M5xi has great glass, little more towards the blue hue and fairly sharp. Now, this is a very mine field ridden and subjective area. If I had a choice between a Bushy and a Vortex then I would go straight for the Vortex. the DMR2 will track great and stand up to bumps but the Vortex will do all that and have better glass, not to mention fantastic customer service.

I still believe the DMR2 to be one of the most underrated optics in this industry. Their reputation for incredible durability and tracking consistency completely makes up for the mid-tier glass.

Combine that with a solid reticle, illumination, locking wind, integrated throw lever, very good zero stop, all in a compact package—what’s not to like!?

Oh and FWIW just because the glass isn’t ATACR or Kahles good doesn’t mean you can’t shoot a 8” plate at 1k with this optic. All too often the people on this forum get caught up in the glass debate when in all reality all of these $1000+ optics will allow you to shoot whatever the hell you want at whatever range you want.

The DMR2 Pro is a serious improvement in glass quality on the DMR2, but I agree wholeheartedly with your comment.

Oh where to start on this? Ok, so I have had almost every make of optic under the sun. Bushy has never had the best glass (to me) and I have always found them to bend towards yellow and not that crisp, now things may have changed in the past few years???? The M5xi has great glass, little more towards the blue hue and fairly sharp. Now, this is a very mine field ridden and subjective area. If I had a choice between a Bushy and a Vortex then I would go straight for the Vortex. the DMR2 will track great and stand up to bumps but the Vortex will do all that and have better glass, not to mention fantastic customer service.

When you get a chance, get behind an XRS2 or DMR2 Pro. I've put some hardcore Nightforce fanboys behind my XRS2s, and they walked away impressed.