• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Elite Illuminated Mil-dot or G2DMR?

MStarmer

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2012
Pac NW
Just getting started, want to put a decent scope on my Noveske 16" AR. I think I've narrowed it down to the 3-12x between the LRS 3-12x 44mm - G2DMR, .1 Mil (non illuminated) or the LRS 3-12x 44mm - Illuminated Mil-Dot. I'm new to the whole long range thing, going 400yrds or less. I have a tactical rifle class I want to take and I'm sure either would be good and they are pretty close in price. I like the illum, but the new reticle is pretty slick too. Any suggestions for a noob would be great. I'm figuring a ADM mount and looks like Liberty is the place to buy.

Thanks,
MStarmer

Re: Bushnell Elite Illuminated Mil-dot or G2DMR?

I have the 3-12 w/new reticule sitting on my 308 AR right now. Haven't fired it yet but everything looks good. G2 reticule would be way overkill for a 223 AR though.

My 2cents; look at the super sniper 3-9, leupold 3-9 patrol, vortex pst 2.5-10. They are all lightweight and reasonably priced. You can get the super sniper mildot version off samplelist for 500$.

G2 on the HDMR is quite possibly the best reticle period. The glass is very good as well. Go with the HDMR. Mine is on the way.

34sfndc.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He G2DMR all the way.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Thanks Mike, I bought my ACOG from you too, I may have to pick one of these up with a recon mount. It's going on a Noveske Project ARES so it should easily be a sub moa AR with the right ammo.

You should know, the illumination is green- it's my first scope with green illumination, and it will be my last. I'd rather have just about any color than green... I'm very used to red, but have heard good things about blue. Green though... I can't put my finger on the main reason I don't like it, but I just don't. Might have something to do with blending into the veg unless it's so bright it causes some wash-out. Dusk shooting w illuminated ret for me means the minimum useable brightness, and I don't want that to be so bright it washes out the target.

Just my thoughts.

YMMV

DP425,

I agree on the green, my ACOG although fantastic does wash out a little more than I thought it would. That and 3x just isn't enough for me to make any precise hits at 300-400yrds. I can get man size hits easy enough but I need more power. I think the Bushnell G2DMR 3-12x will be more than enough for what I want. Probably too much scope for this rifle but my eyes aren't the greatest. I could probably squeak by with the SS 3x9 but I probably would regret not getting the other one.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Ugh, why did you have to point out that Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10, that thing looks like a better fit than the Bushnell... Illumination, zero stops and mil/mil. That one may be the ticket!

I have my 3-12 in an ADM mount from libertyoptics. Played around with it mounted on my 16" and it felt fine. I don't miss having illumination either. Only bitch I have with it is that the eye box is a little tight and it took some fiddling to get the reticule focus exactly how I wanted it. I would also throw the Vortex PST 4-16 into the mix. It's a nice sub 1k dollar scope that doesn't weigh a lot.

A note on green illumination, I like it. Given the choice that's what I use. I first started using it on my X-bow 3 dot scope (there is a red choice on it) and since then I find I like it better than any other. I find that I can use it at lower intensity settings than red.

On the G2DMR, I like the center of the reitcle, but I find that that the .1 mil hashes on the sides are too busy to use. If they were somewhat chevroned to the left/right - up/down they'd be much easier to use.

I have both optics you listed in your first post, and prefer the G2 to the Mil-Dot. Don't miss the illumination on the HDMR. The Mil-Dot was my first venture into Mil reticles, but wish the G2 had been out.

Kevin

If you go with the HDMR you will never regret it !!