• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-8.5

WTC343

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2006
Nevada, Texas
I've been on the hunt for the ideal .308 AR pattern rifle scope since I bought my 16" OBR almost two years ago. Have tried 1-4's, 2.5-10's, but I cant find a happy medium. My main use for this rifle is banging steel to 500, 3 gun comps, hunting, and sometimes shooting groups on paper. I got excited when I heard that Bushnell is going to bring a 1-8.5x Elite Tactical scope to the market. I like the fact that Bushnell is very much in tune with the end user, and is obviously listening by bringing affordable scopes packed with features to market. Since there are not a lot of details being released yet, it leaves much to speculation about what reticle options will be available. From the sound of things, Bushnell wants to make sure it's right and not rush it to market.

I currently have the HDMR with G2DMR reticle and their 1-6.5 SFP with BTR-2 reticle. I love the reticles of both of those optics, but the HDMR is a bit much for what I use the rifle for. The 1-6.5 will find a permanent home on my AR-15 because I feel its the perfect combination for the platform. I thought it would be great if Bushnell could combine the BTR-2 and G2DMR reticles in the new 1-8x. With the combination of turrets similar to the HDMR with the versatility of daylight visible illuminated circle dot reticle of the 1-6.5, this scope could prove to be very versatile. Add to it the chrismas tree of the G2DMR reticle, and it would be really handy and give the option to use very precise holds at distance.

I overlayed the circle dot of the BTR-2 onto the G2DMR reticle using MS paint:
BT-DMRreticle.png

I have no clue if this could even be done knowing that the G2DMR reticle was developed by George Gardner from GA precision. But my thoughts would be FFP, daylight visible illumination at 1 power, some sort of christmas tree below the dot, and under 2K price tag. Obviously, 11 mils of holdover might be a bit much for an 8.5x optic, but you get the idea.

Photo of the 1-8.5x by Lowlight, blatantly stolen from a previous thread for those that have'nt seen it yet:
Bushnell1_8X.jpg

These are just my thoughts on what a guy like me would want in what I would consider to be an almost do it all optic for the .308 semi auto platform short of buying a CQBSS with Horus reticle. Who knows, Bushnell may already have something very similar in the works. Am I way off base here, or is this a scope that others would want as well?

Re: Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-8.5

I'd buy that config in a New York minute.

They have a Mil and 3Gun 10" ranging reticle, both are pretty useable, not quite as complex as what is posted above, but I know the guys shot the 1-8.5x to 800 yards and did well with it.

Looks like just what I need!

I'll own one for sure. Question is do I put this on my Noveske? Or build anther rifle?

Didnt the 6x have a small eyebox? That means the 8x will be even smaller, yikes!

They need to put bigger glass on the far end to create a bigger eyebox. Kinda like the NF 2x10x24(32)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didnt the 6x have a small eyebox? That means the 8x will be even smaller, yikes!

They need to put bigger glass on the far end to create a bigger eyebox. Kinda like the NF 2x10x24(32) </div></div>

Yes, the eye box on the 1-6.5 is kind of wonky. Some hate it, but others don't seem to mind once they use it for a while. What I'm hearing from those that have seen it and used the 1-8.5 is that the 34 mm tube makes this a non-issue. I would assume it has something to do with the objective lens being larger, but I'm not a scope engineer.

I wouldn't mind a little larger objective, but I also like the compactness of the scope like it is. It would seem that the 34 mm tube by itself would allow a 30 mm objective. That's not much smaller than the 2.5-10 NF.

That's great!! I am looking forward to seeing this little guy on my rifle. My NF 1-4 is great, just wish I had a little more mag on the top end.

Here is another pic from the other thread stolen from LoneWolfUSMC:
Bushnell1_8x2.jpg

Any of you scope Guru's know what the thing the arrow is pointing to is? And what purpose does it serve?

It keeps the erector spring in the scope. It holds a pre determined amount of tension on the spring so when you make adjustments on the knobs, it moves the erector correspondingly

Which thread was that I am unable to find it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It keeps the erector spring in the scope. It holds a pre determined amount of tension on the spring so when you make adjustments on the knobs, it moves the erector correspondingly </div></div>

Yep the old basic way of keeping tension. It is easier to manufacture and cost less than the various "newer" ways of providing tension.
This Picture is for reference on how the spring would provide tension.
09-30-10-04-Unertl-scope-adjustment-knobs-return-spring.jpg

Here is an example of another way, I have also been told that some manufactures use 2 or more springs with this method?
Less%20elevation%20dialed%20in.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: schultz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which thread was that I am unable to find it. </div></div>

1+ to this. Looks like an ideal scope. If they can keep the price competitive like the 1-6.5 it's gonna be a hit.

Oh man, if this comes out before the SS1-6's are finally ready to ship, I many have to cancel my order.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WTC343</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I overlayed the circle dot of the BTR-2 onto the G2DMR reticle using MS paint:
BT-DMRreticle.png

</div></div>

Now we're talkin'!! That would be a fantastic setup......
cool.gif

If I changed anything, it wold be reduce the length on each circle-reticle section to improve visibility but that concept is definitely a great one.

Does anyone have one of these in their hands for T&E? Would love more info on reticle, eye relief, illumination, etc. Anyone?

Looking forward to learning more about this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking forward to learning more about this one.</div></div>

Yeah I would definitely like a release date and price!!

I like the bushnell elite scopes!