• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44

cowboyjoe

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2011
I would like a mil/mil FFP scope with a mil-dot type reticle. The Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12X44 looks like it might tick most of my boxes and fit my budget. Can anyone tell me how they have found this scope and in particular to how it tracks. Is there is any kind of mechanical 'return to zero' with the turrets?

Are there any downfalls about this scope that I should be aware of?

Re: Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44

No mechanical zero stop, awesome glass, dead nutz tracking, decent illum. reticle.

It is a fantastic scope, my only gripe, and maybe this is just me, but when shooting this scope in the bright sun, the reticle seems to have a green tint to it with the illum off. Side by side with my NF, the reticle has the appearance of being not sharp and slightly washed out, but in reality it is perfectly sharp... After a couple shots I forget all about it and go to work. Does that make sense. It could just be my eyes, everyone is different.

The short of it.... its a great piece of glass!!!!! I love mine.

Bushnell's First Focal's are good solid scopes. Check out Lowlight's video review of the model you are looking at. The video is located on the front page of this website.

Looks like it is in the same price range as the vortex PST and the upcoming SS (with the discount), if you haven't looked at those. Bushnell makes a fine product, just wanted to make sure that you had options. Good luck.

I love mine, but I wish it had zero stops, that's my only complaint. Great glass, good knobs, well built, and good illumination. For the money (I paid $650.00 or so) it's a great optic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like it is in the same price range as the vortex PST and the upcoming SS (with the discount), if you haven't looked at those. Bushnell makes a fine product, just wanted to make sure that you had options. Good luck. </div></div>

I am interested in the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 as it has zero stops. The only concern is that I have read complaints about the quality of glass in comparison with it's big brother the PST 6-24x50. I have been scouring this a few other forums for recent reviews, but there has been little written lately on it. I don't want to go to the 6-24x50 because 6x is too powerful for how I will use my rifle.

So all this to say, I am very interested in the PST and in some ways fits the bill better, but I would like to hear a bit more about it before I buy it.

Thanks everyone for the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love mine, but I wish it had zero stops, that's my only complaint. Great glass, good knobs, well built, and good illumination. For the money (I paid $650.00 or so) it's a great optic. </div></div>

Yeah, that is my disappointment in this model, no type of zero stops. I know you get what you pay for, so it may be something I have to live with if I decide to pass on the PST.

excellent scope for the $. I wasnt a fan of the green illumination. Mine got dropped on the floor, it initially lost the 100 yd zero, but after shooting it a few times and making adjustments, it went right back to my initial zero.

If the zero stop is truly a deal breaker, the PST is the way to go. If you can live without it, I've had outstanding luck with the Bushnells. Better yet, buy a 2nd rifle and get both...

Mark H.

I have one, it works well. My main gripes are poor picture at max power and a tight eyebox. At 6-10x it's fine.

I got mine when they were blowing them out, if you're buying it right now at 800whatever bucks I would get the weaver 3-15 FFP instead.

edit: unless you are dialing your riflescope in the dark or use more than ~10mils of elevation zero stop is a non-issue. With 200 yard zero you can be at 600 in 5 mils and 1000 with 10mils, I have done it with a 18" 308. That's only two turns of a knob, can't see how you'd get lost in that.

Ive got the 3x12x44 Elite Tactical 4200, very solid scope.

Clear glass, no malfunctions or complains to this day with it. got mine for just a hair over 600 brand new from midway, worth every penny for my first tactical/target scope

I have 2 3-12 4200s, they are very nice scopes for the money. I wish I would have picked up a 6-24, still might get one.

I have never had issues returning to zero or tracking with mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got mine when they were blowing them out, if you're buying it right now at 800whatever bucks I would get the weaver 3-15 FFP instead.</div></div>

I looked at the weaver, but as near as I could tell, they only have MOA adjustments and I was wanting Mil based adjustments.

I am considering going all out and getting a Nightforce NXS F1, but it's a fairly heavy scope. Decisions, decisions!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboyjoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got mine when they were blowing them out, if you're buying it right now at 800whatever bucks I would get the weaver 3-15 FFP instead.</div></div>

I looked at the weaver, but as near as I could tell, they only have MOA adjustments and I was wanting Mil based adjustments.

I am considering going all out and getting a Nightforce NXS F1, but it's a fairly heavy scope. Decisions, decisions! </div></div>

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=911627

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboyjoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am considering going all out and getting a Nightforce NXS F1, but it's a fairly heavy scope. Decisions, decisions! </div></div>

What rifle is it going on and how do you want to use it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboyjoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am interested in the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 as it has zero stops. The only concern is that I have read complaints about the quality of glass in comparison with it's big brother the PST 6-24x50. I have been scouring this a few other forums for recent reviews, but there has been little written lately on it. I don't want to go to the 6-24x50 because 6x is too powerful for how I will use my rifle.</div></div>

I own 2 of the 3-12 Bushnells and briefly owned a 4-16 FFP mrad PST.

I prefer the knob feel of the PST over the Bushnell and the PST reticle is far more useful than the standard mil-dot of the Bushnell... but the Bushnell absolutely *smoked* the PST for glass clarity-- at least the PST I had. Looking at a pine tree at 220 yards I was able to resolve and discern the pine needles and cones with the Bushnell... but with the PST all I could see was green "things" attached to the branches as everything was slightly blurred no matter the magnification, parallax setting, or diopter setting. The resolution and clarity of the PST was disappointing to me... even moreso because I waited 15 months for it. I sold the PST 2 days after receiving it and I cancelled my 6-24 PST preorder because of the disappointment with the glass in the 4-16.

The PST did have better eye relief and a much less "touchy" eyebox at maximum magnification compared to the Bushnell but I couldn't live with the lack of glass clarity.

The Bushnell 3-12 FFP was a great deal when they first came out at about $625 and were an awesome deal when they were closing out last years models a few months ago at $500. They might be good scopes but buying a new one at $750ish (or whatever the current price is) would make me think twice... that's getting close to buying a "next tier up" scope on the used market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What rifle is it going on and how do you want to use it? </div></div>

Long range hunting rig. I hunt up to some favorite meadows and set up for long shots for deer/elk. I'd like to upgrade my optics to something that gathers a bit more light and has a bit more magnification. Plus, I am starting to get more and more into the tactical side of learning what my ammo can do, so in between seasons it'll be dual use for long range target shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The resolution and clarity of the PST was disappointing to me... even moreso because I waited 15 months for it. I sold the PST 2 days after receiving it and I cancelled my 6-24 PST preorder because of the disappointment with the glass in the 4-16.</div></div>

This is exactly why I have not pulled the trigger on purchasing the PST. I have read that while feature rich, the glass is just not as good as it should be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Bushnell 3-12 FFP was a great deal when they first came out at about $625 and were an awesome deal when they were closing out last years models a few months ago at $500. They might be good scopes but buying a new one at $750ish (or whatever the current price is) would make me think twice... that's getting close to buying a "next tier up" scope on the used market. </div></div>

Agreed. Going back to my original specification, I'm looking for a mil/mil FFP scope that tracks well ideally with some sort of zero stop and good glass with a range roughly 4-15 with at least a 40mm objective. The zero stop is not a deal breaker, but as this is a long term investment, it is on my wish list. PST comes so close, except for the glass. I don't expect the PST at its price point to have glass comparable to a $3K rig, but PST appears to be struggling in glass quality even when compared to some of their other models of scopes.

Hence I have come clear around the mountain to relook at Nightforce, which is a considerable jump in price. Aside from price, I am a bit concerned about the weight. I am not weight sensitive and prefer actually my rifle is more on the heavy side as I like the way it tames recoil. It's either this or maybe the Weaver tactical. Decisions, decisions!

If you're .mil or LE you could get a discount on the 4-14 leupold M5 model. It fits your criteria.

PST glass is like a vari-x III leupold, at least the ones I saw. The 4-16 seems to be getting a bad rap in that department but I haven't seen one to decide for myself.

For 999 the super sniper 5-20 group buy looks really hard to beat. I think a lot of people will be regretting not ordering them when they had the chance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboyjoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The resolution and clarity of the PST was disappointing to me... even moreso because I waited 15 months for it. I sold the PST 2 days after receiving it and I cancelled my 6-24 PST preorder because of the disappointment with the glass in the 4-16.</div></div>

This is exactly why I have not pulled the trigger on purchasing the PST. I have read that while feature rich, the glass is just not as good as it should be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Bushnell 3-12 FFP was a great deal when they first came out at about $625 and were an awesome deal when they were closing out last years models a few months ago at $500. They might be good scopes but buying a new one at $750ish (or whatever the current price is) would make me think twice... that's getting close to buying a "next tier up" scope on the used market. </div></div>

Agreed. Going back to my original specification, I'm looking for a mil/mil FFP scope that tracks well ideally with some sort of zero stop and good glass with a range roughly 4-15 with at least a 40mm objective. The zero stop is not a deal breaker, but as this is a long term investment, it is on my wish list. PST comes so close, except for the glass. I don't expect the PST at its price point to have glass comparable to a $3K rig, but PST appears to be struggling in glass quality even when compared to some of their other models of scopes.

Hence I have come clear around the mountain to relook at Nightforce, which is a considerable jump in price. Aside from price, I am a bit concerned about the weight. I am not weight sensitive and prefer actually my rifle is more on the heavy side as I like the way it tames recoil. It's either this or maybe the Weaver tactical. Decisions, decisions!
</div></div>

I own both the B 3-12 and F1.

The earlier descriptions from the other members are accurate and how it is with the Bushnell.I feel it's a great scope for the money.

The new F1's with the 10 mils knobs and ZS are impressive! Even at $2300 they are worth the money.I want another one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 999 the super sniper 5-20 group buy looks really hard to beat. I think a lot of people will be regretting not ordering them when they had the chance. </div></div>

I've looked at the group buy, but 5x is a bit too powerful for my application on the low end... 4 or less would be preferable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're .mil or LE you could get a discount on the 4-14 leupold M5 model. It fits your criteria.</div></div>

I have read that Leupys have not kept up the build quality compared to others in recent years and sometimes don't hold up well with the beating that magnums give them. This was probably a tragic generalization, but it seems often on these forums that people are grabbing for other makes and models. I would be interested in any views on this forum.

What's the difference between the 3-12x44 Elite 4200 and the 3-12x44 Elite Tactical (6500 series, I believe)??

Lowlights review of the Bushy 3-12x44 FFP mil/mil illum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F5KWrbuezg

The weaver tactical does come in mil/mil with FFP and illum; swfa has them for $700

I do not have a Bushy 3-12 but a Bushnell 10x and the thing is built like a tank and repeatable. You can make home-made zero stop by trimming pvc to the proper height and making a mechanical zero stop when the turret bottoms out on the pvc. Just an idea.

I myself bought a 4-16 ffp moa pst last august. When it arrived I quickly compared it to my 2.5-10x50 bushnell 4200 and a 4-16 millet. Sadly the pst glass sucked. It had a very distinct green tint and was not bright. The millet at 1/4 the price was noticeably brighter and clearer. The 4200 has always impressed me for the price.

I was at a match last month and looked through a PST. It was very poor glass quality. I also lookes at a Razor also, for the price of them I thought it also had poor glass. It was a FFP and the reticel was so thick it looked like it would cover a barn at long range. So I do not understand what all the hype has been about on them.