• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50 HDMR vs Vortex Viper

jlitalien

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2007
Aurora, Colorado
Ok, I have a Viper HS LR with the XLR reticle. I have only taken it out a few times and I'm pleased with the features and really like the the reticle. The scope dims a bit near max magnification but in the grand scheme of things it isn't too troublesome. All of that being said I have been thinking of replacing it with the Bushnell HDMR. I have an opportunity to get a new HDMR for a little more than I originally paid for the Viper. I have spent the last 3 days researching and find that I am still torn! I would like to solicit input from those out there that have owned both (Viper PST should be comparable to the HS LR XLR). What are your thoughts on both and what would you do?

I haved owned 3 PST's and really like them. But if you have the coin the Bushnell is the better scope.

The glass in the DMR is plenty bright until about 18x, it dims a little on the top magnification.

I've read reports that side by side comparison of a Bushnell ET 6-24x50 and Viper PST 6-24x50 give a slight edge to the Bushnell glass.
The DMR uses the same glass as the ET 6-24 and the optical quality is a tie to my eye, having owned multiple examples of both.

Neither has alpha scope glass that will gain you that last few minutes of hunting at dusk like an S&B, Premier, or <insert the name of your favorite $3k top tier scope here>.

The DMR is built like a tank. I consider it a 4x scope on the low end since it tunnels with no increase in FOV below that.

There's good reason it's been such a hit with shooters.

Joe

Last edited:
The Razor would compare better to the HDMR rather than the PST so I say it's a no contest in favor of the HDMR.

I preferred the HDMR because of the H-59 reticle although I like the G2 better than the Vortex reticles also. I had 3 of the HDMR's and the only thing I could fault it on is when the elevation was dialed all the way up the image degraded.

The Razor would compare better to the HDMR rather than the PST so I say it's a no contest in favor of the HDMR.

Exactly what I was going to say. I've used the H-59, but am perfectly happy sticking with my G2.

Thanks for all of the input. You have definitely confirmed my suspicions. I would absolutely love to get a Viper HD but it's hard to justify when I can get the HDMR for the price of a PST.

Thanks again!

I have used both and strongly prefer the HDMR, both because of the H59 reticle and the overall features. Lack of a zero stop is my complaint with the HDMR.

I have had both scopes, I still have the HDMR. It is built like a tank, which shows in the weight difference. There are a few things about the HDMR that make it a better optic for competition. Glass seems better, Like the reticle better, Locking turrets, easier to reset turrets ( grab a quarter or pocket knife and uncrew the cap and reset). Vortex makes a nice optic and I still own one but the HDMR is a better optic than the PST. The Razor is a whole different story, that thing is great.

Thanks for all of the input. You have definitely confirmed my suspicions. I would absolutely love to get a Viper HD but it's hard to justify when I can get the HDMR for the price of a PST.

Thanks again!

Where? A PST is about 950.00. If you are buying DMR's with a Horus at the same price, please pass it along.