• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Bushnell HDMR Owners - Your Honest Input Requested

JCB

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2006
Tennessee
Hi Guys, I’m looking for some feedback from those of you who either own or have used the Bushnell HDMR’s. Much of what I’m about to detail here isn’t new ground but if you will bear with me through this long post detailing my experience I would really appreciate some honest feedback from some of you HDMR owners as to the qualities of the scopes you own.

After having an opportunity for some firsthand time with two HDMR’s at a competition back in February I decided to buy a Bushnell HDMR with the G2 reticle. I thought it would be a good fit for an AR in 308 and was really excited about the reticle and power range. After I had it for a few days I was noticing that when looking at lighter colored objects they frequently had a halo or ring around them that was a purple or blue color. The more I looked through the scope the more it seemed to jump out at me. I was pretty surprised at what I was seeing after having viewed two other HDMR’s previously, one with the H59 and the other with the TRMR2 where I did not notice this issue at all. Several months removed from my purchase date I found through some research here on the Hide that I’m not the first one to experience this and it isn’t headline news for anyone.

Back to the purchase, I did do a side by side comparison with a Vortex Razor 5-20 and a Super Sniper 5-20 and had none of the same issues in these two scopes looking at the exact same targets in the exact same conditions on the same day. This being the case, I called Bushnell customer service on April 30th and a pleasant lady named Alex took my call and listened to my issue and told me that I definitely should not be experiencing this issue with the scope and to send it back to them for repair. So on May 1st, I shipped it out to Bushnell with a letter describing the problem and referencing the phone conversation.

A few days after it delivered to Bushnell I received a post card in the mail from them with a case number and a website to keep tabs on the status of my repair. I checked the site just about daily seeing no change in status of my ticket. Then on May 18th the scope delivered back to me with a letter saying it was inspected and determined to be within spec, all without the website having ever noted it having been inspected or shipping back to me.

As part of the assessment, Bushnell noted they had centered the reticle and cleaned the lenses for me. As I unpacked the scope I immediately noticed that there were now some new cosmetic flaws on the scope that were not there at the time I sent it to Bushnell. Both of the screws used to secure the windage and elevation knobs had deformations in them where a poor fitting tool had been used to remove them and the parallax knob had an extremely minor scratch on the knurling. Granted these were all minor flaws, very minor in the case of the parallax knob, and didn’t impact the functionality of the optic one bit but it was quite surprising to see it come back from the manufacturer this way. I would have expected them to have a proper fitting tool to remove the screws or maybe a spare nickel or quarter lying about to use for the task. Moving past these issues I took the scope out the next day for another view and it was more of the same fringing around the higher contrast/white objects.

Obviously disappointed, I contacted the Scott at Liberty Optics and he requested that I send the scope back to him so that he could personally inspect it. I packed it up and shipped it out to him on May 22nd. He spent some time with the scope and agreed with me that the scope should not be this way and he would contact Bushnell for a replacement. He drafted a letter going into great detail about the issue with the scope and the need for replacement. Bushnell received the scope from him and returned the same scope back to him saying they had centered the reticle, adjusted the parallax, and cleaned the lenses. We both wondered if they even bothered to read the letter about the issue.

Following the receipt back from the Bushnell he contacted them repeatedly talking to numerous persons in all levels of operations at the company to secure a replacement scope. It was literally like pulling teeth for him to get any action from anyone at Bushnell. Finally, on August 22nd he received a replacement scope from Bushnell, only 113 days after I originally sent my scope in to Bushnell for repair. I was excited that the issue was finally going to be resolved and the empty set of rings on my rifle would be filed again. Having invested almost four months of his life in the issue with Bushnell, Scott wanted to assess the scope before sending it out to me to ensure that it was of the quality we both expected. Test failed. He said the replacement scope was essentially the same as the first one with no noticeable improvement.

For those of you that are still hanging in there on this thread, what is your experience with the HDMR? Are your samples totally devoid of this issue or do you have the same issue and are just not bothered by it or feel that it is offset by the other features of the scope? Does this issue seem be limited to just models with certain reticles? From the majority of the posts here that I have seen since taking delivery of mine it appears that this is one of the most highly recommended optic and reticle combinations on the market. That has to be for a reason. At the same time, I see posts on optics and gear in general where the level of quality and service expected from the majority of Hide members is so high that it just doesn’t seem congruent that what I have experienced would be tolerated by the population at large. So what say ye?

Given the virtually non-existent customer service response to date from Bushnell and time invested thus far, I don’t know if it is worth trying yet a third sample from them, from their ELITE line no less, to see if I can get a scope without this issue.

Thanks for your insight and patience in reading this lengthy post.

James

Re: Bushnell HDMR Owners - Your Honest Input Requested

I have had 3 without any issues to date! Thought I had an issue holding zero once, but after tracking it down, it appears they are a much higher quality scope with tight base screws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... I was noticing that when looking at lighter colored objects they frequently had a halo or ring around them that was a purple or blue color....
</div></div>

Can you elaborate on the problem more? What were the actual targets? White paper?
How far was the "halo" away from that target?

As for the targets, the first encounter was steel targets painted white which is mostly what I have the opportunity to shoot. After seeing it on the steel I started checking other objects through the scope and found the halo on just about anything white or high contrast on a typical summer day. Regarding the halo, it was essentially an outline around the target that was heavier immediately surrounding the target and diminished the further out from the target you looked in the field of view.

I'm not sure how much response you will get from this being this has been beat to death and now pretty much dropped.

There is some in the chromatic abbreviation HDMR. This has been talked about in great detail on here. I guess some are worse than others.

I bought one of the first 200 (or what ever it was) sold by George. I didn't really notice it untill people started talking about it. My experience is that you have to be very jacked up behind the rifle and not straight in line (like you should be) for this to even be present. As soon as you get in position it goes away.

I'm still running one and have not had any issues with it what so ever. One of my shooting partners has about 10 of them and hasn't had any issues with them. If you get off to the side or move around yes you can make some halo or purple rings appear around white paper (not a problem for me). It's. been disscused that this does not affect performance. I would think if your that much (or any at all for that matter) out of line your going to experience other problems first.

I guess what this boils down to is some can live with it or deal with it to gain the other benefits and advantages this scope has to offer at a great price.

As far as the CS issue portion that sucks. I hate to hear this from a company that's been around for a long time and obviously dealt with every issue under the sun. They are aware of this and have even stated that it has something to do with the coating on the lens (I think this is what I've heard. Something along those lines).

All and all I think most people are very pleased with them. Everyone I've talked to at matches that are running them seem to like them. I've never seen one take a shit during a match.

I have yet to find a optic I wouldn't personally change something, add to, or do a little different. I haven't dove into the $3,000.00+ price range scopes in search of it either.

Just my .02

The first run of HDMRs, the only ones with the h58, have no ca whatsoever.

I am running one, never noticed any issues.

I bought 3 early production HDMR/H59's with no CA problems.

There's definitely a batch of HDMR's that had unacceptable CA problems "to us the consumer". Seems to me that Bushnell just won't take responsibility and correct those scopes. Probably too many of them needs replacement or too expensive and time consuming for Bushnell to fix. I suspect they are substituting other scopes that were sent back and hoping to get away with it.

Try to get your money back and get a different brand scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRAAV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My experience is that you have to be very jacked up behind the rifle and not straight in line (like you should be) for this to even be present. As soon as you get in position it goes away. </div></div>

My experience was very different, but enough people have given reports like yours to cause me to believe that it's not just uneducated users, but more likely a LOT of unit-to-unit variability and that Bushnell's acceptance criteria is rather liberal.

I've owned two now. One H59 HDMR and one DMR G2. Both have an unacceptable (to me) level of CA if I move my head eye even *<span style="font-weight: bold">slightly</span>* off perfectly centered. It is very noticeable and not forgiving at all and very much in contrast to other high-end scopes I've used. A friend has one of the original H58's and it is not evident at all.

My sense is that Bushnell is really hoping that this will just "go away" and that they are quietly putting changes in place to assure that it does not happen again, but their handling of the installed base has been piss-poor and stands in stark contrast to companies that actually care about their customers, like Vortex.

You can try to get Bushnell to refund your money under their Bulletproof Warranty and have Scott pick out a "good" one for you or like Steve recommended, but another scope.

I really hope that Bushnell gets their shit together in this regard. This scope, as well as the new Elite and the 1-8 have tremendous potential. But if it's a roll of the dice every time a consumer buys their product, it's going to catch up sooner or later.

John

Personally I would use the bullet proof warranty before your year runs out. It's obvious Bushnell is not going to make you happy and that is totally understandable. Why keep banging your head against the wall? When you get your money back buy a better scope. I'm a NF fan but if you need FFP with more mag than 15x, look into the Razor or the SS HD line. I think Bushnell has come a long way but it seems they still have some work to do in the QC and CS areas.

My HDMR has very noticeable C/A. Even at 100 yards using a white 8"X11" sheet of paper as a target on a brown cardboard backing. The edges of the white paper has purple/blue fringing.

I'm just living with it at this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first run of HDMRs, the only ones with the h58, have no ca whatsoever. </div></div>

Yep I had one and now regret selling it as the glass was really quite nice. I had none to very little ca in mine as all scopes are going to have a tiny bit of some sort.

Lots of "bay window" reviews and dog piling on this issue.

I have compared the HDMR against scopes at twice the price and all have exhibited the CA that you guys are talking about. The difference is some scopes have a different color cast than others and most are much more apparent when you are looking through them off the rifle and not through their optical center.

The bottom line is that Bushnell offers a Money Back Guarantee. Buy one and if it's not up to your standards, send it back.

There are way too many people out there expecting to get a $3000 rifle scope at half the price.

There is a reason HDMR's are plentiful on the line at top level competitions. It's not because they are optically inferior.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have compared the HDMR against scopes at twice the price and all have exhibited the CA that you guys are talking about. The difference is some scopes have a different color cast than others and most are much more apparent when you are looking through them off the rifle and not through their optical center.</div></div>

John,

Not sure if you lumped my comments in with those "baywindow reviews" but I can tell you that my 2 Bushy's were a LOT worse than either of my Razors, my NF NXS, the SS or even my sons $120 Bushnell Trophy hunting scope. Yes, all scopes by definition have CA, but the difference in this case is night and day

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are way too many people out there expecting to get a $3000 rifle scope at half the price. </div></div>

Like I said, I compared mine to other scopes in its relative price range and it got its ass kicked. As a matter of fact, the PST 6-24 and the Weaver 3-15 are a lot better and they are under $1000.

John

I've had two.

One TreMor2 and one G2 Reticle.

I loved both just didn't like the TreMor2, I'd buy another, definitely.

It looks like the feedback is pretty split on these with comments ranging from excellent, to user error, to unacceptable in regards to the fringing. Pretty small sampling but it doesn't exactly serve as a ringing endorsement to me that would warrant giving Bushnell a third try. Thanks to everyone that read the post and took the time to provide me with some honest feedback.

It seems to me watching this, and paying attention to this issue, that the problem is more pronounced with off axis viewing.

The wide variation appears to be with people who played with the scope extensively off a rifle as opposed to people who mounted it and used it first on the rifle.

I have one and can induce the problem, not really any worse than any other scope under the same conditions, I mean my Hensoldt has it if you hand hold it. But mount them and line up correctly behind it on a rifle and people generally dont notice it. The ones that saw it unmounted can then find it mounted by moving off axis.

Lots of people are using them, both in competition and within military circles and this problem is not being reported. It's really coming out here with guys who have bought them and then immediately begin comparing. It's probably why the people at Bushnell are not find a problem to fix, because the machines for testing are on axis. I know they have worked hard trying to address this, and the engineers are not able to measure a problem, and I would bet it's because the fixtures are square to the optic.

It's a short high magnification optic, so going off center will definitely magnify the CA.

But that is my opinion.

I've shot a few of them, and have one here and shooting it doesn't appear to have an issue like people complain about. Sure I can see it when I hunt for it, but I can do the same with most scopes, the Bushy just has more purple than yellow.

I just ordered one of these after playing with one on the line. I was surprised how many great features a $1200 scope could offer. Certain things are forgivable, others (like holding zero) aren't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure I can see it when I hunt for it, but I can do the same with most scopes, the Bushy just has more purple than yellow.</div></div>I can see it on mine too, and I agree.

The glass/image isn't the best, but it's a good scope for the money.