• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell or Athlon

Tallahassee

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2020
New England
This is very similar to a previous thread, didn't want to hijack it. Anyways, I am thinking about getting a DMR II. I have had good luck with Bushnell. But, I am getting sucked into the good reviews of Athlon. Watched a video, by the DARK LORD OF OPTICS, so now I am interested in the Ares ETR. Here's my issue, there are none near me to finger. Anyone have any input on how these two compare? I would eventually try some sort of PRS competition at some point with this, no hunting, except possibly watermelons.

Thank you

Reactions: YotaEer
which ever you like more your going to have to buy it not me . good luck in the matches and with those pesky watermelons they are very sneaky but when the dust or splatter dies down they could make for some fine eating mind the metal fragments if there are any .

Reactions: Tallahassee
No experience with the Ares, only Athlon I ever had was a Talos and it was a hot, steaming pile of shit that was soon on it's way. I have (and have had) a few HDMR2s though and they are a great optic. Nice turrets that track perfectly, locking windage, and basically just a super tough optic. Mine have taken hits and never lost zero. I'm most likely getting another one for my 300 Norma project, unless I find the glass in the XRS 2 better enough to justify the upcharge.

Area etr is good to go imo. Glass is good, repeatable return to zero, decent turrets.

I ran an Ares ETR on my CF match rifle last year. Nary a hiccup. Now that scope is on my RF match gun. Also have an Ares ETR on my wife’s CF match gun.

My vote is for the Ares ETR.
I have Athlon Ares ETR and BTRx2, Cronus BTR, Argos and a LPVO Athlon(can’t remember the model). All of these models compete really well within their price range.

My other higher tier scopes are better, but so are their much higher prices. Athlon scopes compete really well in their class and offer one of the best value for money.

My optics don't need to be combat rated or oriented; but mine are nearly all somewhat suited to such a role, among other roles of a higher personal subjective priority. Not by coincidence, they are nearly all Bushnell AR Drop Zone BDC scopes. The only exceptions are a pair of Mueller 8-32 Target Dot scopes that are mounted on a pair of 24" 223 AR's that are dedicated for MR paper punching.

I value function over ostentation, and Bushnell usually appears to have the mix of features and operator convenience that attracts my purchases.

YMMV

Greg

In for the comments.

Also debating between bushnell XRS/DMR Pro or a Athlon Ares ETR/Cronus. We’re in this together OP

I have been in a Bushnell train lately. I have several and all seem to fit the bill for what they were put on. I do have one Pro series and the glass on it is pretty dang amazing. If the other three weren’t brand new, I’d upgrade all of them to the Pro series just for the glass change.
-The standard XRS I have in my 6.5CM is pretty good as is and has always seemed to track well and go back to zero. I don’t do in depth testing or torturing either, my combat days are behind me so I do a lot of steel banging.
-The HDMR II does really well on the SPR 223. I shot with it yesterday out to 600 and it came back to zero fine every time. It also had no problems with constant dialing as I walked from target to target adjusting with the turret instead of holding over. The glass did start to show me some issues when the barrel/suppressor got hot and combined with a heavy mirage, it shows up bad in the glass some. Easy fix with a rag over the handguard and suppressor though.
-the SMRSII Pro is currently sitting on my Scar16 and yet to be shot. I got it a week ago and am comparing it to a Sig Tango6T to figure out which glass will stay on it. I will say the SMRS kills the Tango hands downon clarity but lose in other areas like dot brightness, SFPvsFFP, and I like the Tango6 reticle better.
- the last one is a cheapo AR series with a 300 BO reticle sitting on top of my 10.5 inch SBR. It does what that gun is capable of, and I’m not worried about banging it up on accident. It would make and idea truck gun scope as I’m sure it would take a small beating and not have any issues. Maybe someone with more experience on this model can say otherwise. I don’t shoot my SBR much lately.
I am by no means a professional and there are plenty of people on here that take optics and give them a thorough run through with very good reports.

Last edited:
My vote goes to Bushnell. I've run them for years now (Back to an old Elite 6-24x mildot) and have never had one go down. The glass in the DMR2 Pro and XRS2 is excellent, but the standard DMR2 glass doesn't suck. All of the Elite Tactical optics are build like tanks.