• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Bushnell v. Vortex v. ??

stonewall308

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2011
Hello all,

I am setting up my first long range rifle, thanks in advance for the help and patience. I just got a beautiful Rem700 5R as an anniversary gift.

I want to top it with a ffp mil/mil or moa/moa with maximum magnification of at least 18x. I will also use this rifle to hunt occasionally, therefore I would like variable magnification in the ballpark of 5-20 or 6-24.

Bushnell manufacturer part #ET6245 is being discontinued as I understand it, 6-24x50 mil/mil ffp, and it appears that I can buy this online for around $700. The new model has more internal adjustment room and is around $1k.

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 ffp with zero stop, mil/mil or moa/moa, appears to be available for around $900.

Which of these would you prefer? Any other options? I'd like to keep the price under $1k, but would consider going slightly over for substantially greater product.

Re: Bushnell v. Vortex v. ??

they are both good scopes, imho vortex has better retical and zero stops but the bushy has better glass. Both are solid and both have great CS

I have the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x mil,mil, FFP and consider it the best $850 I've ever spent. I'm sorry if this sounds high and mighty but I wouldn't even consider the Bushnell after seeing (and now using) the Vortex EBR-1 Reticle. The lifetime, transferable warranty is the caramel on the ice cream on the hot apple pie. Enjoy your new smokepole whatever glass you top it off with. By the way, you are one effing lucky puke to have a wife that will buy you a firearm. How many years?

I havn't used the Vortex PST scopes yet but do have the Vortex Viper's on my hunting rifles and have a Razor spotting scope. The glass is great, accuracy of tracking, and quality of the scopes is wonderful. I would urge more on the Vortex if you can but you won't go wrong if you get one of the Bushnell's neither. Save as long as needed and get what you need. Use this search function to find things about either scope here. There have been many reviews on Vortex and Bushnell on here:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

I have three Bushnell's Elite/Tactical and am very happy with them. They've taken a beating and have been very reliable for a mid priced glass. After using both, I find the PST has better dials, but like the Bushy glass a little better. Won't be going wrong with either. Might as well consider the SS also, it's right in that price range. I've been very impressed with it.

People seem to love the Bushnell HDMR also. slightly over your price range but is still $1250 in the groupbuy.

I was always a Bushnell fan until i found my Elite 4200 was shooting 1-3 moa off on windage from zero to right and left. Not an issue really at 100 yards, but at distance it was. Bushnell makes outstanding glass, maybe I had a wonky scope, but I think I would have to give the edge now to Vortex. YMMV, but I could not afford the lost time and money anymore and I was a Bushnell loyalist for like 15 years.

I have a 5R and put the Bushnell Tactical Elite 6-24x50 mil/mil ffp mildot on it. I love it the ffp is fantastic and I love the turret knobs. I use a 20 MOA base and have shot it at 600 and 1000 yards and it works very well with 175 Bergers in 308. I had a Bushnell 3200 in 10x40 fixed mildot before this and it too was very solid with great optical clarity, although I don't have a comparison for this, but it is just fine for me.
I would recommend it!

well, I just suffered this samde predicament...My buddy wanted to sell me his 6-24x50 mil/mil Bushy, it's a 4200 (BTW- good luck finding one from a vendor...) and I was liking the PST's too. Since I had a standard 6.5-20x44 Viper and really liked it, I thought the PST would be great. Also, the Vortex warranty is really hard to beat' Bushy, it needs to be the "original owner." How they go about proving or disproving that is beyond me, but after my hard-earned cash gets spent, I don't want to find out. Go with the Viper. The reticle far surpasses that mil dot in the Bushy.

I don't own a PST but I can tell you I love my 4200. If it had a better reticle I don't think there would be a better scope offered in that price range. The reticle is the only drawl back of the 4200 or elite tactical

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DREMEL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't own a PST but I can tell you I love my 4200. If it had a better reticle I don't think there would be a better scope offered in that price range. The reticle is the only drawl back of the 4200 or elite tactical</div></div>
Well, reticle design was one of the major decision factors for me. You can't avoid looking at/using it every time you squeeze a shot out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stonewall308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all,

I want to top it with a ffp mil/mil or moa/moa with maximum magnification of at least 18x.

Bushnell manufacturer part #ET6245 is being discontinued as I understand it, 6-24x50 mil/mil ffp, and it appears that I can buy this online for around $700. The new model has more internal adjustment room and is around $1k.

</div></div>

You should check the specs. I don't think that part number is FFP.

I think the group buy HDMR is a no brainer at the $1250.00 price .I hope It will be as good as the reviews it got .I have one on order and can't wait till it gets here. If you can swing the $1250.0 I can't see how you could go wrong .

took the plunge on a vortex viper pst 6-24X50 hopefully get it in the next 3 days only cost $1125 Aus shipped to my door
wink.gif

i liked the part on the base of the turrets telling you how many revolutions you have taken this helps where i'm from because the wind is nuts its not unheard of to have to keep dialling or me getting up and forgetting to reset my windage dial getting to the next range and going yeah i dialled this way and dial the wrong way altogether drove me up the bloody wall lmao
the zero stop should be good never had one before

the reticle is .04 MIL in width so i guess this dictates that it will cover up 4cm of target at 1 kilometer if the math is right

Vortex for sure. The customer service in awesome and the scope works great too. At max magnification on mine (x24 Its clear as a bell. I'm very pleased with mine!

Viper PST. I had a bushy 6500 tactical. It was a good scope with good glass but wanted MOA/MOA. I like all the features of the PST better than those on the bushy. Just my opinion

I've currently got a Bushnell 6500 6-24x50 and I've also had the chance to play with a Vortex Viper PST as well. I have been nothing but pleased with my Bushnell, but the Vortex was also a solid performer as well. I liked the adj. knobs on the Vortex a bit better (personal preference) but the knurled style of the Bushnell is nothing to complain about either. I was also able to play with a Razor HD and I think that will be my next scope purchase. Working for a dealer of both Bushnell and Vortex, however, I will say that dealing with Vortex is much easier (plus they have a better warranty) than Bushnell. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but the Vortex does have an unconditional life time guarantee. I think that alone is worth its weight in Gold, just my 2 cents.

I recently(2 days ago) got my Viper 4-16X50 PST FFP MIL/MIL and couldn't be happier with the initial once over. It replaced a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 scope. to my 50 year old eyes, the glass seems a little clearer on colors and the outer edges sharper than the Bushnell, and the adjustments are crisper with the PST. I really liked the drool rag Vortex includes with the scope, I needed it. the hat pin was a nice touch too.

I own two of the Bushnell HDMRs. The glass and construction quality is fantastic. At the group buy price on the HDMR I strongly believe the PST would be a mistake. The glass is fantastic. The construction is solid and precise. The adjustments are excellent and the reticles are well executed. And you are buying a scope from one of the best optics facilities in the world. Even Vortex uses the Japanese factory for their Razor line. The PST series is made in the Phillipines i'm not aware of any top quality optics coming out of the Phillipines. You will be buying the HDMR below the market price. With the PST you are buying at market price. Unless you need reticle illumination buy the HDMR or the Bushnell 6-24 FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 224Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own two of the Bushnell HDMRs. The glass and construction quality is fantastic. At the group buy price on the HDMR I strongly believe the PST would be a mistake. The glass is fantastic. The construction is solid and precise. The adjustments are excellent and the reticles are well executed. And you are buying a scope from one of the best optics facilities in the world. Even Vortex uses the Japanese factory for their Razor line. The PST series is made in the Phillipines i'm not aware of any top quality optics coming out of the Phillipines. You will be buying the HDMR below the market price. With the PST you are buying at market price. Unless you need reticle illumination buy the HDMR or the Bushnell 6-24 FFP. </div></div>

PST glass comes from Japan. They are assembled in the Philippines.