• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell XRS 2 or DMR2

SWprotected

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2020
I have read several older threads about these scopes. Seems like the general consensus is glass is good, not the best but usable. Tracking reliably is one of the pros I have read about the Bushnell Elite tacticals. Is the XRS worth 500 more than the DMR 2. I know it has upgraded glass and higher zoom range. Just curious about opinions from guys who have had the opportunity to check out both, no local shops to me have them. I found them online for decent prices so thinking about getting one or the other.

Reactions: Adonai101
I have read several older threads about these scopes. Seems like the general consensus is glass is good, not the best but usable. Tracking reliably is one of the pros I have read about the Bushnell Elite tacticals. Is the XRS worth 500 more than the DMR 2. I know it has upgraded glass and higher zoom range. Just curious about opinions from guys who have had the opportunity to check out both, no local shops to me have them. I found them online for decent prices so thinking about getting one or the other.
Old DMR has been solid. Seems the XRS 2 and the DMR 2 Pro have the good glass

Thanks, the market is so full of options it is hard to make a decision. I think glass is important, but I definitely want reliable tracking.

@Hollywood 6mm knows a lot about the DMR 2 pro and XRS 2. Both have good glass if you make sure to get the pro version of the dmr 2. Main difference between them being the magnification. I believe the XRS2 has more reticle options as well and possibility for illumination. Ultimately the tracking on both will be good and has been on the elite tactical models for a bit. I'm considering saving up for one of these as well and have been impressed with my lrtsi.

No experience with the XRS2 but I've had 2x HDMR2s (still have 1) and 4 LRTSis and like you've seen otherwise, the glass is good (not great but very usable) and they track like surveying equipment and are tough to boot.

I have both the XRS2 and the HDMR2. As others have said, they track well and are good scopes. Between the two, the XRS 2 has the edge for sure.

I have both the XRS2 and the HDMR2. As others have said, they track well and are good scopes. Between the two, the XRS 2 has the edge for sure.
So you haven't had the pro version with glass similar to the XRS2? Is the regular DMR2 glass a fair bit worse than the XRS2?

No experience with the XRS2 but I've had 2x HDMR2s (still have 1) and 4 LRTSis and like you've seen otherwise, the glass is good (not great but very usable) and they track like surveying equipment and are tough to boot.
How would you say the DMR2 compared to the LRTSi? Have had a chance to pick up a DMR2 with the G3, but have heard the glass is almost a step down, with more CA. Agree on the LRTSi glass, very functional for what I have used it for so far, borderline good glass, but does poor in lowlight and non ideal conditions.

Big Bushnell fan here. The truth is for the $1600 you spend on a XRS2, you can get a new Razor 4-27. Its a much nicer scope for the money. That would be my recommendation.

Reactions: Changed
So you haven't had the pro version with glass similar to the XRS2? Is the regular DMR2 glass a fair bit worse than the XRS2?
No, no pro version. There will be times I don’t notice the difference when using both. The contrast is better on XRS2. The XRS2 performs better in bright sunlight and late evenings.

You hear such mixed reviews on the DMR2, where some say the glass is unusable and others say it is quite good. Makes you think it could be a QC thing, or a difference in batches of glass.

How would you say the DMR2 compared to the LRTSi? Have had a chance to pick up a DMR2 with the G3, but have heard the glass is almost a step down, with more CA. Agree on the LRTSi glass, very functional for what I have used it for so far, borderline good glass, but does poor in lowlight and non ideal conditions.
I owned an LRTS and sold it once I got the HDMR2. In my opinion, the HDMR2 out performed it.

I can't really compare glass quality apples to apples since I've only got lots of time on the 3-12 LRTSi and have yet to take out my 4.5-18. Considering I normally run my HDRM2 around 12-13 for positional and 16 for prone and the LRTSis I've used a bunch max out at 12x. That being said I quite like the HDMR2, have thousands of rounds behind them and am contemplating getting another. It's not as nice as my Leupold Mk5s but it's quite a bit less expensive (like less than 1/2 the price).

I haven't ever really considered the 2 scopes to serve the same purpose I had planned to use it for. For me, the LRTSi was a really good mid weight hunting scope with more then adequate glass, accurate tracking and illumination. The DMR2 being the weight it is, didn't make it an option for me to put it on some of my guns. For others, where weight matters less I am seriously considering it now. Also tough to find the DMR2 with illumination where I am.

The ERS is a newer version of the DMR and has some new features. The XRS is part of a new breed of scopes on the market with extremely large magnification ratios, but they are also somewhat larger and heavier.
It's really up to you to determine which features you feel are necessary to you. It's rather a moot point since you already purchased the XRS. More power is better for some things, worse for others. It's nice to have it if you need it, but most of the time 20x is more than adequate. Just don't try and shoot unsupported at 30x or you will lose your mind trying to steady the crosshairs.

I haven't ever really considered the 2 scopes to serve the same purpose I had planned to use it for. For me, the LRTSi was a really good mid weight hunting scope with more then adequate glass, accurate tracking and illumination. The DMR2 being the weight it is, didn't make it an option for me to put it on some of my guns. For others, where weight matters less I am seriously considering it now. Also tough to find the DMR2 with illumination where I am.

Yeah, for me the 3-12 LRTSi is more of a precision gas gun scope and the 4.5-18 is a lighter weight long range hunter whereas the HDMR2 sits on heavier "tactical" bolt guns.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
I have both the DMR2 and the XRS2. While I love both of these scopes I think that the XRS2 is slightly better. If I were going into a match and you switched out my XRS2 to the DMR2 it wouldn’t make a difference. Both are very similar scopes and have served me well.

I appreciate the input guys, like I said its amazing the number of scopes on the market.

I've never been a fan of the DMRII. It's not that it's not a nice scope, I just feel like it entered the market at too high of a price point. It doesnt seem any nicer than some $1000 and $1200 scopes that are out there.

And I do also like the XRSII, but I feel like it suffers from the same problem. A good friend of mine that I shoot PRS with has (had) two of them. He always had the good glass bragging rights while I ran the Burris XTRII. But a couple months back after a side by side with my XTR3, he dished off the older XRSII and bought a Burris for his PRS rifle.

I feel like the XRSII has the same problem of not competing with the MK5 or Gen II Razor. It's just not a strong choice at its price point.

And I do love Bushnell. I've always been a fan. Their hunting scopes treated me great for years. But I hate to say that in the last 5 years or so it's hard to find one that competes well with other scopes at the range they are entering the market at. You have to wait till they are being closed out at screaming deals like the LRTS is going for right now.

I have two DMR II (non-illumination) scopes. I believe I got one for $1000 and another for $750. At those price points, they are great optics. I don’t have a single complaint with either. Tracking is great, holds zero, glass is pretty good. I have been behind both the XRS and the DMR II pro. The glass is noticeably better and worth the extra coin.

If you are patient you should be able to find a used DMR II for around $800-900 and an XRS for around $1400-1500 in the optics exchange.

Reactions: Sierra770
I have both the DMR2 and the XRS2. While I love both of these scopes I think that the XRS2 is slightly better. If I were going into a match and you switched out my XRS2 to the DMR2 it wouldn’t make a difference. Both are very similar scopes and have served me well.

same here. I have an XRS2 H59 and two HDMR2 H59 scopes.

I only got the XRS2 because I was offered one for only a few dollars more than an HDMR2.

Set side-by-each on 20x you have to look for shadows and features to discern any differences in clarity or brightness. On 12x where 95% of my shots are taken I can see no difference.

Having said all that, I am in the camp that views scopes as aiming devices and not observation devices and compare them accordingly.

same here. I have an XRS2 H59 and two HDMR2 H59 scopes.

I only got the XRS2 because I was offered one for only a few dollars more than an HDMR2.

Set side-by-each on 20x you have to look for shadows and features to discern any differences in clarity or brightness. On 12x where 95% of my shots are taken I can see no difference.

Having said all that, I am in the camp that views scopes as aiming devices and not observation devices and compare them accordingly.
I'm with you there. There is a point of diminishing return. Once you get to good, it's good enough. But, some lower end scopes don't have good enough to read wind and resolve at long distances. If you only ever shoot under 500, there aren't really a whole lot of scopes these days that can't get the job done and holding zero and being reliable is way more important(although it's always more important).

You hear such mixed reviews on the DMR2, where some say the glass is unusable and others say it is quite good. Makes you think it could be a QC thing, or a difference in batches of glass.

I'd say it is more likely a combination of the eyeballs behind the optics (glass is quite subjective), and the conditions they tested in.

The ERS is a newer version of the DMR and has some new features. The XRS is part of a new breed of scopes on the market with extremely large magnification ratios, but they are also somewhat larger and heavier.
It's really up to you to determine which features you feel are necessary to you. It's rather a moot point since you already purchased the XRS. More power is better for some things, worse for others. It's nice to have it if you need it, but most of the time 20x is more than adequate. Just don't try and shoot unsupported at 30x or you will lose your mind trying to steady the crosshairs.

The ERS line has been gone for a while now, replaced by the DMR2 and DMR2 Pro.

The DMR2 Pro has a little more forgiving eyebox than the XRS2, but obviously the XRS2 has more magnification. The XRS2, as noted previously, has more options for reticles and illumination, although that's hopefully going to change for the DMR2 Pro in the not too distant future.

I run the XRS2s on my match and practice rifles, mainly because I like having that 25-30x magnification on hand just in case I need it. 90% of the time at matches, I am somewhere in the 15-18x range. My Pro is currently a backup/loaner, as the gasser I originally got it for is wearing a thermal.

To my eyes, the glass in both is excellent. The glass in the Vortex HD2s has never really impressed me, but that's probably just due to my particular eyeballs. Personally, I think the DMR2 Pro and XRS2 are damn good deals for what you get for the price. Glass is great, tracking and durability is phenomenal, features are on point, and the zero stop is really underappreciated for simplicity and reliability.

That's my 2 cents, tho. Someone else's will vary, as you can see from the comments here.

I'd say it is more likely a combination of the eyeballs behind the optics (glass is quite subjective), and the conditions they tested in.

The ERS line has been gone for a while now, replaced by the DMR2 and DMR2 Pro.

The DMR2 Pro has a little more forgiving eyebox than the XRS2, but obviously the XRS2 has more magnification. The XRS2, as noted previously, has more options for reticles and illumination, although that's hopefully going to change for the DMR2 Pro in the not too distant future.

I run the XRS2s on my match and practice rifles, mainly because I like having that 25-30x magnification on hand just in case I need it. 90% of the time at matches, I am somewhere in the 15-18x range. My Pro is currently a backup/loaner, as the gasser I originally got it for is wearing a thermal.

To my eyes, the glass in both is excellent. The glass in the Vortex HD2s has never really impressed me, but that's probably just due to my particular eyeballs. Personally, I think the DMR2 Pro and XRS2 are damn good deals for what you get for the price. Glass is great, tracking and durability is phenomenal, features are on point, and the zero stop is really underappreciated for simplicity and reliability.

That's my 2 cents, tho. Someone else's will vary, as you can see from the comments here.

It looks like I can get the DMR II for about $1060, both the DMR II pro and XRS II are about 1560. All of these are being sold as a combo with the Kestrel 5700. If I spend the 1560 I am pretty sure I would go with the XRS. I was just wondering how big is the upgrade from the standard DMR II to the XRS.

Reactions: zaprosper
It looks like I can get the DMR II for about $1060, both the DMR II pro and XRS II are about 1560. All of these are being sold as a combo with the Kestrel 5700. If I spend the 1560 I am pretty sure I would go with the XRS. I was just wondering how big is the upgrade from the standard DMR II to the XRS.

The difference in glass is *significant* going from the standard DMR2 to the Pro or XRS2. The DMR2 is a perfectly usable scope, but it definitely gives up some brightness and clarity to the Pro and XRS2. If you can get behind both before buying, I'd suggest doing so. Personally, I think the price difference is more than justified for the difference in glass, but your requirements may not be the same as mine.

Reactions: zaprosper
The difference in glass is *significant* going from the standard DMR2 to the Pro or XRS2. The DMR2 is a perfectly usable scope, but it definitely gives up some brightness and clarity to the Pro and XRS2. If you can get behind both before buying, I'd suggest doing so. Personally, I think the price difference is more than justified for the difference in glass, but your requirements may not be the same as mine.

Thanks, that exactly what I wanted to know.