• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Busted M1A

whamprod

Private
Minuteman
I had to send Springfield Armory the following email this afternoon:
cry.gif

I had to send the following email to Springfield Armory today:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To Whom it May Concern,

I purchased a new in box MIA Loaded, model MA9229 (green synthetic stock) on November 21, 2009 at Euless Guns & Ammo in Euless, Texas. The serial number on the back of the receiver is XXXXXX. I can see a second number on the bottom of the operating rod which says XXXXXXX-2.

I have been to the range exactly twice since I bought it, and it has had 100 total rounds fired through it. ALL ammunition was commercially available ammo, consisting of 40 rounds of Black Hills Gold Match 168 grain A-Max cartridges, 50 rounds of Hornady Match 168 grain HPBT, and 10 rounds of Federal Fusion 165 grain hunting rounds. The rifle has not been abused. The only changes I have made to date to this rifle have been the addition of a Sadlak scope mount (with a scope and rings) which required no modification to the rifle, and a Karstens Cheek Rest to the stock. The cheek rest required my drilling two holes through the buttstock, but other than than those two changes, this rifle is as delivered from the factory.

This afternoon, I removed the rifle from my safe where it has been sitting since my last range trip on December 12, and I heard the sound of a small piece rattling around inside the action. I removed the action from the stock, and a small piece fell out. At first I could not see where it came from, so I put the rifle back together and chambered a dummy round to confirm that the rifle still functioned. (Picture of dummy round with firing pin impression attached). Then I started looking at parts diagrams on the Internet. That is when I realized that part of the hammer had broken off (Picture attached). Yes, the rifle still functions, but this CAN'T be safe.

I have a hog hunt scheduled for mid-January, and I know that there is not enough time to send you the rifle to put in a new trigger group. Since this rifle is under warranty and I have done nothing to abuse it, and since the part has failed under normal use with in a new rifle with only 100 rounds of commercial match and hunting ammo through it, I expect you to ship me a new trigger group right away so that I receive it in time for my hunting trip.

Please let me know as soon as possible that you have sent me the new trigger group.

Best regards,

whamprod
etc., etc.

bustedhammer.jpg

snapcap.jpg

rifle.jpg
</div></div>

We'll see how Springfield Armory's customer service holds up. They are closed until the 28th. Needless to say, I am bummed out.

mad.gif

Re: Busted M1A

MIM (Metal Injection Molding) parts can be a bummer... and my untrained eye detects characteristics of MIM in that hammer hook. I had once been told one of the first things one should do with a new M1A is to replace the internal parts with USGI. I have no first hand experience on this, never owned a M1A. Some say it's bull but I sure have seen lots of broken weapons with failed MIM parts.

Looks like bad metal, looks brittle. is the hammer cast? Are there any other spots on the hammer that look chipped? I'm guessing too much carbon in the steel making it brittle, but I don't know S#%@ aboud how the FG components are made. If it happened to yours under very limited use, I would expect to hear of a lot more. When was the gun manufactured?

Wow dude, That sucks! I've got two M1A's for a combined round count in the 750-800 ballpark (1 was used though so unsure of round count) and haven't had a hickup yet.
I have a 1911 of theirs that shot low so I had my gunsmith send it in and they replaced the front sight with a lower blade no questions asked and free of charge. I hope you get the same type of response with your scenario. "Demanding" a new trigger group was a little bit too much, IMO. Springfield will treat you right without you having to demand it. But I can understand your frustration.
Best of luck on the hunt.

Customer service at Springfield is excellent. They may swap trigger groups with you.

My suggestion is for you to request an all USGI trigger group and have their custom shop tune it to national match specifications.

You will pay a small fee for the services the custom shop provides and end up with a great USGI trigger group.

That sucks - I hate it when mechanical shit breaks at the wrong time. Incredibly bad timing.

You placed the exact criteria for what you expect from them and a time frame that you expect them to adhere to - regardless of their workload, you are setting yourself up to be pissed if/when anything goes wrong according to YOUR plan of repair. It sets them up to be regarded in your view as shitty because if they don't get you what you essentially demand (regardless of their warranty policies) in your email - and in two weeks time no less - they're screwed in your view.

I sincerely hope that you get your parts and make it to the hunt with that rifle, but to expect a company to make all that happen in a two week turnaround following the holiday season is a sketchy proposition and a customer timeframe vs. a factory's is a hard issue to base customer service on. If they said it would be done and then didn't make it, that's a different story but I'd think that they'd want to take a look at the broken stuff prior to sending a replacement out. Since it broke, they'd want to put it back together and function test it for safety and reliability I'm sure - if not for anything other than liability.

Best of luck with this. I try to expect the worst and hope for the best and normally experience much less disappointment - unless we're talking about the USPS.

you will learn that when stuff breaks....its time to go to plan B......

plan B involves junking the original said piece and procuring something that won't fail when you need it.

Go find a good old USGI Trigger Assembly and get rid of that garbage newly manufactured MIM SA one.

Same with your Op Rod. You mentioned that its number is XXXXXX-2. That -2 means its a new cast piece from the SA factory. Find a USGI oprod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marsox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Same with your Op Rod. You mentioned that its number is XXXXXX-2. That -2 means its a new cast piece from the SA factory. Find a USGI oprod.

</div></div>

USGI or a new forged one from SEI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
USGI or a new forged one from SEI.</div></div>

Yeah that'd be the ticket too!!!!

just curious...you said it still functions right? id expect them to make it good too but looks from the picture like that part is designed to be able to function missing one side. not ideal but might get you thru your hunt which is what good engineering does for you when manufacturing processes fail in qc. just a thought.

I'm betting that they're not going to send you a trigger group, they are going to want to fit and adjust it for liability reasons.I hope for your sake I'm wrong, but I had a similar problem with a Remington product and they required me to send them the firearm to have it properly installed.They repaired it, and it was fine, and I also got a nice letter explaining why they had to do it that way.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Just got back from a good steak dinner and a so-so movie (Avatar).

Yeah, looking at the surface of the fracture, it looks like MIM to me, and that's the first thing I thought of. Where can one get a USGI trigger group? Does the M1A use the same trigger group as the M14? This is my 4th rifle in .308, but my first foray into the M1A/M14 platform.

<span style="font-weight: bold">dtask</span> & <span style="font-weight: bold">sgtbutt</span>, I understand your point about being demanding, but I'm not going to be all pissed off if they can't come through. I'm stating what I expect to happen, and that expectation is based on buying a $1,729.00 rifle and having it go bust in under 100 rounds of standard pressure ammo. I've worked in production work flows all my life. If they have the parts on the shelf, they can turn this around in a couple of days. They only need to be willing to do so. If you're selling rifles that go in that price range, you should be willing to jump through hoops to keep the business of folks that will pay that for a rifle.

I have no previous experience with SA customer service, but a couple of the responses here have indicated that SA's customer service is pretty good, and so have respondents on another forum I hang out where I posted this same sad story, so I have confidence that they'll be able to meet my expectation. That said, if I don't get what I expect, I'll be disappointed, but I'm not going to get my unmentionables in a twist and rage against the machine. I'll just take one of my .308 bolt rifles on the hunt.

As far as having them match tune a USGI trigger group, the OEM trigger was supposed to be NM tuned, and it wasn't too bad. The USGI item may be better, but I really want to take this rifle on that hunt if at all possible; and if getting the USGI upgrade would prevent that, then I would just as soon have the OEM parts sent now. I can always upgrade later.

...or do you think I'm being short sighted?

BTW, one of my 1911s is a SA Loaded, and it has functioned flawlessly, so I know they make a quality product. My only complaint would be that the trigger is heavier than the trigger on my Kimber; but other than that it shoots accurately and it's not at all finicky about ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm betting that they're not going to send you a trigger group, they are going to want to fit and adjust it for liability reasons.I hope for your sake I'm wrong, but I had a similar problem with a Remington product and they required me to send them the firearm to have it properly installed.They repaired it, and it was fine, and I also got a nice letter explaining why they had to do it that way. </div></div>
I'm guessing they won't. The trigger group is designed to be easily removed. It is part of field stripping the rifle, and the owner's manual gives instructions for how to do it. There isn't any fitting involved, and it takes all of about 30 seconds to remove it and then put it back in.

Things break.

What you are asking is not reasonable. IF they do it then GREAT but as long as they have a reasonable standard of service you should be happy.

You can't set a time scale, you can't *expect* them to provide parts to an unqualified person, you can't *expect* them to risk incorrect fitting, that further issues have not been missed or any other assorted reasons why they probably would not do what you demand.

"hi, I have a problem. bla bla broke. Can you help me as I have bla bla planned and reallly need to bla bla bla..."

That type of contact is reasonable and decent.

I missed when your hunt was supposed to take place but I have about 20 USGI hammers sitting here and would be happy to send you one if you know how to replace it yourself. If not give me a call and I can walk you through it,it's pretty simple. If that will save a hunt let me know. I tinker with about 23 Garands and thet are a direct interchange part with the M1A and M14.

I also fully support the idea of replacing all the parts with USGI stuff for exactly the reason you have already experienced,MIM shit breaks. Let me know. TJR

Things break sure it happens but it is happening more and more due to companies cutting costs going to china for cheap labor etc... I find it more unacceptable for a part of a rifle (any, price is irrelevant here) breaking off with normal use within 1000 of rounds much less 100. I think there is nothing wrong with stating what one expects from company who made a clearly lacking product.

If we as consumers were more demanding companies would quickly do the number crunching to find that cheap labor and poor QC don't work. Right now numbers are evidently showing that its cheaper to cut costs and deal with certain percent of warranty claims than to spend a "buck" more on quality.

Like what TRobertson said, you could just replace the trigger for now with a USGI one. Wouldnt take long at all. After your hunt I'd replace the entire trigger group, oprod, oprodguide, gascylinder, bolt, ah what else am I forgetting....

SA used to put USGI M14 parts in their M1As, guess they ran out.

You can find people selling USGI M14 parts here, on arf, and there is an M14forum as well. You can even still pick some up at Sarco, but you have to specifically ask for the USGI parts. They are always floating around.

Also, like someone else mentioned, you can check SEI as they are producing new forged parts the way OM,H&R,TRW,etc.. used to..

The reproduction trigger group on my 2001 Scout failed (busted trigger pin).
I called Springfield and requested a RMA#.
I shipped the trigger group back and requested that they send me an all USGI trigger group in it's place.
They sent me a new all TRW trigger group under warranty. It does not hurt to ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whamprod</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">dtask</span> & <span style="font-weight: bold">sgtbutt</span>, I understand your point about being demanding, but I'm not going to be all pissed off if they can't come through. I'm stating what I expect to happen, and that expectation is based on buying a $1,729.00 rifle and having it go bust in under 100 rounds of standard pressure ammo. I've worked in production work flows all my life. If they have the parts on the shelf, they can turn this around in a couple of days. They only need to be willing to do so. If you're selling rifles that go in that price range, you should be willing to jump through hoops to keep the business of folks that will pay that for a rifle.
</div></div>
Trust me, I know the price of getting an M1A, I've boughten two so far and I'm always in the market for a third. But as far as an "expectation" based on a dollar value........ I would expect any firearm, due to its nature of going boom, regardless of price, to be able to out last me, not break wihtin 100 rounds. Your expectations are not unreasonable. However, the manner of which you have requested these is unreasonable.
SA has a good reputation for customer service. They will get you fixed and running. Yes I am sure they have trigger groups laying around in their facility. They may send you a whole new trigger group, they make replace your hammer, they may replace all components with USGI parts. But that is ultimately their choice. They most likely will need your trigger group to determine the exact cause of the malfunction.
I feel you could have gone about your ways differently. Sedning an email stating your problem and your current hunting trip and asking what can be done would have been more appropriate. That way this would have given them the opportunity to work through it and come up with their own solution.
And yes selling guns in that price range they should be willing to jump through hoops. But unfortunately, you did not give them the opportunity to prove they are.
I've worked in a couple PR jobs over the past few years. Kindness and sincerity go a long ways. And from both parties.
Best of luck to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reproduction trigger group on my 2001 Scout failed (busted trigger pin).
I called Springfield and requested a RMA#.
I shipped the trigger group back and requested that they send me an all USGI trigger group in it's place.
They sent me a new all TRW trigger group under warranty. It does not hurt to ask.

</div></div>
That works for me. I think that maybe I've misunderstood what others are getting at. I'm not asking SA to send me a hammer. I understand that just trying to replace a hammer would require some fitting. I am hoping they will be willing to just switch out the entire trigger group, <span style="font-style: italic">fully assembled</span>. I'll send back the one with the busted hammer... they send me a new one with a whole hammer. Replacing the entire trigger group requires no fitting. It just drops right in.

That's what I'm hoping for. I am also hoping that, like H2O MAN's experience, they'll be willing to bend over backwards a <span style="font-style: italic">little</span> bit to satisfy a pretty disappointed customer. If they can't or won't, well... ...life goes on. I have a nice Remington 700 in .308, and I'll just take that on the hunt instead of the M1A, and I'll enjoy myself anyway.

The hunt is just going to be helping a friend clear hogs off of his deer lease here in north Texas. He has a good sized lease of about 1,200 acres, and the hogs are apparently all over the place this year. He wants to do it after the white tail season ends on January 3rd. That's why we're shooting for the middle of the month.

In any case, to anyone who thinks I'm being unreasonable, rest assured that I'm not the kind to rant and rave if I don't get things my way. But I've also observed a decreasing level of customer service across the board in all industries (have you ever had to work your way through Verizon's automated phone system?), and so I tend to have low expectations of performance. I have consequently developed the habit of being very clear to communicate <span style="font-style: italic">my</span> performance expectations up front to customer service employees. I've found that doing so cuts through a lot of the crap. Maybe it comes off as kind of arrogant, but truthfully, that isn't where my heart is. I sincerely hope that SA's customer service exceeds my expectations. If it does, I'll enthusiastically join the ranks of those who think they are a great company.

By the way, last Friday (12/18) I bought a <span style="font-style: italic">second</span> M1A loaded like mine but with a stainless barrel for my son. I <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> like my M1A (which is why I'm <span style="font-style: italic">so</span> disappointed with a busted hammer), and I thought enough of the rifle to give one to my son for Christmas.

...and speaking of Christmas, today is Christmas even, and it just started snowing about a half hour ago here in my corner of north Texas. Merry Christmas to all of you.

sa has top notch customer service. bought a 1911 champion operator,it had some problems called them up and had it back in like a week

I bought my Scout used (but unfired by the orig. owner. It was listed on GB as "Ex-Husband's Ex-M1A", cold bitch huh? Anyway, I took it out and tried to zero it with irons. At 100yd w/the sight bottomed out it was hitting about 8-9" high at 100. SA rep sent me the correct height front sight b/c the rifle had been shipped with the wrong one. That helped but it still wasn't quite right. I sent the rifle in, they tested it for function and returned it. I called and when they realized they didn't fix the problem they sent me a label, paid shipping and I sent it back. They re-barreled it and shipped it back within 5 days. All this after I repeatedly told them I was not the orig. owner. Customer service was top notch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought my Scout used (but unfired by the orig. owner. It was listed on GB as "Ex-Husband's Ex-M1A", cold bitch huh? Anyway, I took it out and tried to zero it with irons. At 100yd w/the sight bottomed out it was hitting about 8-9" high at 100. SA rep sent me the correct height front sight b/c the rifle had been shipped with the wrong one. That helped but it still wasn't quite right. I sent the rifle in, they tested it for function and returned it. I called and when they realized they didn't fix the problem they sent me a label, paid shipping and I sent it back. They re-barreled it and shipped it back within 5 days. All this after I repeatedly told them I was not the orig. owner. Customer service was top notch.</div></div>
I had no trouble with the irons on mine. Even with my old eyeballs, I was able to flog a 10"x10" steel plate at 200 yards once I got the zero right. I realize that hitting a 10" square at 200 yards isn't really a precision target, but it is definitely minute of pig or minute of white tail at that distance, and that's good enough for me with iron sights. I'm not too proud to admit that I really need a scope.

grin.gif

I had wanted one since I was kid shooting DCM matches with a M14. I decided I didn't need a match gun and really liked the feel of the Scout. Someone just put the wrong height front sight on it at the factory. Of course, the barrel ended up being bad too... Plus side is all the internals were USGI. What really sucked was having to wait for the sight and shipping the rifle back. The wait was painful... After they returned it, everything is as it should be and for a battle rifle it shoots great.

Whamp,

A good friend of mine had the exact same thing happen to his Springfield 3 week ago. Not only did the hammer broke, but the Mag latch had a broken spring. If you look at the hammer at where it broke off, you'll see that it was a casing. The hammer that I have from some years ago are forge and harden. Springfield must be going the cheaper route (across the border). My friend just received the rifle back last week with all repairs done. It's a damn shame that in these days a rifle that goes for $2200.00 is less quality, for the same rifle that my Ex-wife paid $700.00 back in 85. Just a DAMN SHAME!!!

Good News!!

I phoned Springfield this morning and explained the situation and the time constraints. They sent me an RMA# and a FedEx 2nd Day Air shipping label.

I have to send them the trigger group and broken parts, and they will replace the MIM hammer with a forged piece. He said that the replacement is not a USGI hammer, but it is also not MIM. He also said they would put a rush on it so I could have the trigger group back in time for the hunt.

I'm good with that, and that is indeed excellent service.

I'm surprised that Springfield doesn't recall those hammers because if the other sear breaks off, you would probably have a run away slam fires. Since their wouldn't be anything to stop the hammer from following the bolt into battery. A very stupid mistake on Springfield part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCarthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm surprised that Springfield doesn't recall those hammers because if the other sear breaks off, you would probably have a run away slam fires. Since their wouldn't be anything to stop the hammer from following the bolt into battery. A very stupid mistake on Springfield part. </div></div>

They are playing the % game.

The only problem with that, is WHEN it happens someone is likely to get hurt!!! Could also bring too much unwanted attention to an area we already are battling from all founts. All to save a few bucks!!!

M1As and Garands don't work like that. The hammer following the bolt on one of them simply results in the rifle not firing. There is (by design) not enough delay for the hammer to achieve enough velocity at the firing pin to cause a hard enough primer strike. Also the receiver bridge will not allow a properly speced rifle to fire out of battery,which it would have to do to achieve a hammer follow firing sequence.

Simply put the rifle firing would not be the issue,it not firing would,unless the hammer broke while at full cock and even then it would result in a single shot,not a runaway gun.

If their no sears to delay the hammer from falling, the hammer will follow the bolt. I the case that I experience, a protruding firing pin from the sears not engaging properly, cause the rifle to go full and empty the last 4 rounds I had in the mag. With nothing to hold the hammer from falling, the firing pin will protrude from bolt and can work as an open bolt SMG.

Not gonna happen unless the perfect storm of bad parts tolerences happens all at once,you would need to have both hammer hooks(not sears,as they are part of the trigger assembly) broke at once,the firing pin overlength or stuck in the bolt and not freely moving,and the receiver bridge out of spec badly to cause what you are saying happened.

I have seen MANY bad NM trigger jobs cause the hammer to follow the bolt and I have NEVER seen one cause the rifle to fire. They are simply built to prevent that from happening. If the rifle fired 4 rounds in a row and didn't explode from firing out of battery somebody had their finger in the trigger and rode out the recoil.

I don't know enough about it to comment on the slam-fire possibilities, but the CS guy I spoke to at Springfield sounded to me like they've heard this often enough that they don't need to be told to use forged replacement parts or warranty repairs. They obviously have the forged parts on hand, or they wouldn't be able to turn the repair job around so quickly, so perhaps we'll see forged hammers in future production rifles once they've run out of the MIM parts.

Springfield knows damn well and has for years the cast parts are not up to snuff. As was said before it's about $$$$. They had a recall on years worth of bolts over trying to cut corners and they kept shearing and cracking. Op-rods and trigger assembly parts too.

I am not defending Springfield Inc. in my prior posts as much as I am John C.Garand(may his name be praised).

In my opinion Springfield armory closed in 1955 and never reopened it's doors again. The current hacks should be ashamed for putting the name on the stuff they send out.

Both hooks breaking off is what my other thread was implying. Which is very possible when one hook had broken off due to a bad cast hammer. My problem is that these hammers that Springfield are putting in the M1A are not forage. A good friend of mine just brought a M1A 4 months ago and I was working with him on the disciplines, when he complain about the trigger feeling funny. I pop out the trigger group to find the one hook broke off, the same place that whomp had happen to him. If AJ(friend) had not stop firing the rifle, the other hook could of broke off due to the poor casting. There's no reason for Springfield to go to casing hammers, only to save a few bucks. For what these gentleman spent on these rifles, theirs no reason for it!!! It's a damn shame it happen in the first place. And the trigger group can go into full auto when the sears are not properly engage. Doesn't happen often, but it happens.

trob,

You are right on that Springfield has close their doors long ago. It's a damn shame that a rifle like the Garand and the M1A are being butcher by Springfield. If out of all my rifles, and I had to chose one. It would be my M1A

My M1A Scout was a basket case and I do not regret getting rid of it.
I will never buy another Springfield M1A.

I got a call from SA customer service today. They are promising that I will have my trigger group with new forged hammer back in my hands by Friday January 8th at the latest.

That's not bad service at all.

My basic policy with the M1A (and M1) has been to keep an entire Standard/Basic Trigger Housing Group and Firing Pin onhand as a standby, along with the Armorer's Bolt Disassembly Tool.

Although my own setup has never failed, it has proved invaluable at matches when other shooters' guns go tits-up. The M1A/M14 trigger group internal parts are identical to those of the M1.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trobertson5-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Springfield knows damn well and has for years the cast parts are not up to snuff. As was said before it's about $$$$. They had a recall on years worth of bolts over trying to cut corners and they kept shearing and cracking. Op-rods and trigger assembly parts too.

I am not defending Springfield Inc. in my prior posts as much as I am John C.Garand(may his name be praised).

In my opinion Springfield armory closed in 1955 and never reopened it's doors again. The current hacks should be ashamed for putting the name on the stuff they send out.</div></div>

+1 Well said!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My basic policy with the M1A (and M1) has been to keep an entire Standard/Basic Trigger Housing Group and Firing Pin onhand as a standby, along with the Armorer's Bolt Disassembly Tool.

Although my own setup has never failed, it has proved invaluable at matches when other shooters' guns go tits-up. The M1A/M14 trigger group internal parts are identical to those of the M1.

Greg </div></div>
Yeah, I agree that this is a good practice. After I get my rifle put back together, I'm going start accumulating spares. I was thinking a spare trigger group, firing pin, and a spare operating rod. Hopefully I'll never need them, but better to have them and not need them, then wish you had 'em and you don't.

Make sure you pick up an extractor. Had one broke during a match(it sucked). Thank god for the AMU. Shown me how to get the bolt out without popping the receive out of the bedding.

Well, lo and behold, when I got home from a Bible study tonight, my repaired trigger group was waiting for me — 3 days sooner than they had promised it.

That is VERY good customer service.

Now to start picking up those spare parts. Thanks for the suggestion of getting a spare extractor too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whamprod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a call from SA customer service today. They are promising that I will have my trigger group with new forged hammer back in my hands by Friday January 8th at the latest.

That's not bad service at all.</div></div>

Glad to hear it is working out. I was scared when I saw this thread at first. I shot my loaded model today and I love it!

Smith Enterprises has a replacement assy for the cast SA parts...send them your broken one or the new SA replacement and $275.00 for the M14/M21A5 C-IED 4.5 lb MAX-PAK Trigger Upgrade and you will never have that problem again.
Smith Enterprise, Inc.
1701 West 10th Street, Suite 14
Tempe, Arizona 85281
http://smithenterprise.com