• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

butler creek caps POS!!!!! any suggestions?

rifleman1981

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
nw oklahoma
I have been fighting butler creek flip up caps and would love to find something that actually works as advertised, any suggestions???

Re: butler creek caps POS!!!!! any suggestions?

There are so few complaints about BCs that I'm wondering what scope you are using and what the problem is. The problems I know about are mainly fit - for example, they are very tight on some NF scopes. If the BCs are a tight fit, you can try heating them in hot water so that they stretch and are more pliable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rifleman1981</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been fighting butler creek flip up caps and would love to find something that actually works as advertised, any suggestions???</div></div> Whats wrong with yours?

Every properly fitted set I've had always worked. No complaints here. Pretty much the go to for flip caps. Many manuf. use BC for their branded Flip Caps.

the cover for the focusing optic on my nf has never worked correctly, and this the second one I have put on

My objective lense covers always snap off. I've gone through 3. They are very cheaply made and I wish they had some form of warranty.

I became fed up with the BC flip caps on my USO with an ERGO objective. As such, I switched to the BC bikini strap and have had no complaints whatsoever. I merely zip tied it to the scope to avoid loss.

Ya my problem was when they were actually open they would bend and break. like get small hairline cracks and then just break off altogether.

I'm fielding 100+ and haven't broken anything that I couldn't directly attribute to my heavy hands.

BC's so rule.

I have broken three or four B/C caps on my duty rig, on the 50mm objetcive end. I know they do what they are designed to do but its a duty gun and it gets used. It seems like just bumping it while its open will brake it off.

I do suffer an affliction known as coordination.

I've seen some crappy knock-off Butler Creeks before. Maybe just maybe?

Have you bought any lately? I've used them for 15+ years with no problems, but I just returned 8 of 10 ordered for my NF and S&B scopes. The objective caps would not stay closed. In fact the one for the S&B sprang open as soon as I opened the package.

The eye covers still function fine. Did they move production to China?

I aquire new glass on a basis that mandates continual purchase of BC's,due to my horde mentality.

They are the best invention since the blowjob.

They're $8 caps, get new ones, they won't last forever...

ive yet to see one brake as well and ive been using them in some form for over a decade. i think theyre as good as it gets for what is asked of them. i cant see how they would be expected to be 'bombproof'. i mean cmon, theyre plastic...

i did have an issue with one that i had to do some real convincing to fit on a zeiss, it opened alot easier than any others since i assume the plastic was stretched out of spec and no longer held the cap tight enough.

but even there, my fault, not the cap. i was just too stubborn to admit i got the wrong size.

You are better off going large,rather than prying a small one on and malforming sealing surfaces.

Friction tape wrapped in either an ocular or objective's circumference,works wonders for affixing a "large".

Hint.

Had Butler Creeks for getting on for 20 years or so. Never a problem I couldn't attribute to my self - until about 2 years ago. Changed scopes on my work rifle and got a new set of caps. Gone through more than 5 sets in that time. Last set lasted less than a week!!

Bought another personal rifle and scope last year and got the caps for it. That rifle has had hardly any use compared to the work one, but still broke a cover on it in less than 2 months.

My old rifles with original scopes and covers are still working fine and the capps are functioning as well as the day I got them.

I figured they must've changed manufacturing to China. That or they've change the plastic compound to something cheaper - and shit.

Any one got a contact for them so I can tell them what's going on and ask them to sort it? Tried a few different types of cover and so far nothing as good as the BCs (used to be).

Jon

nope, not a china knock, just a plastic pos, there are about three or four of us that shoot together and we have all had some type of problems with them

When my BC cap broke I tried the US Optics caps. They seemed to be made of a different plastic/polymer that was less brittle/more resilient. Don't know the technical differences, but it was obvious to me that they were less prone to breaking. Give USO a call.

ALL the ones that I have bought in the last year or so won't stay closed. I am refering to the objective caps, the eyepiece caps work fine.

Mine won't stay closed and the objective lense cover broke off, as well. I'm using a scope coat and so far it is working for me. There is one out called 'the Alsakan scope cover', I believe. It has a strap that remains on your barrel when you rip it off, instead of fallin away like a scope coat.....I MAY be trying one of those in the future. As far as the Butler Creek caps, no offence, but they're not for me.

I hate Butler Creek caps!

BCs never stay closed and often fall off when carrying the rifle slung. (I've lost a few of them). You'd think that there would be a better option for protecting the glass on a $3k scope than a 13 dollar piece of crap plastic.

The only product a little better is the bikini covers on the NFs. They stay on but are clunky and can be misplaced.

(I'm not aware of anyone making really good, durable caps. If there is, let me know.-- if someone wanted to make a ton of money, try producing a line of high quality caps-- they'd sell out instantly. )

This thread is cracking me up.

Thanks.

You crack me the hell up man. I could watch those youtube vids of yours for hours. Your boy can throw a mean scope.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is cracking me up.

Thanks.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had rather good luck with them.

</div></div>

Thats f@cking funny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308skinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had rather good luck with them.

</div></div>

Thats f@cking funny. </div></div>
amen, just saw that shit, all I gotta say is awesome.

maybe you should try carrying your rifle slung over your shoulder, that will open it. Once open, then LIGHTLY bump the objective lense cap....makes a fine frisbee

Amen!

Never broke a closed one. Last one broke off while the rifle was slung and the cap was open, simply walking about. No creeping through brush or anything rough, just rubbing against my coat. Done same with my older ones for years, 5 days a week through the season, no problems.

Oily, may be get yourself some new vintage caps and get your lad to run the test again with them open. Don't think the little one would mind, seemed to enjoy it first time round.
grin.gif

Jon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only product a little better is the bikini covers on the NFs. They stay on but are clunky and can be misplaced.</div></div>

That's also what I use. To keep from losing them, I use 2 zip ties to secure the long piece to the scope tube.

Love the vid! Good stuff there.

I started using Butler Creek caps back in the mid 1980s. Of the 8 rifles I have put them on one rifle that the objective has had to be replaced. It was used as the only rifle my friend had. He USED it a LOT. He was also guilty of some abuse to it in the field. The stock and metal finish looked like it had been dropped out of his truck a few times. It was general knowledge that he let it ride in the truck seat / floorboard for months at a time.

Either replace it or get something else. For a good cover that's quick to open, it does a good job. It keeps the rain, mud and snow off the lenses. That's the main thing.

I live in BC's,day in and day out. If there was something better,I'd use it...but alas,there is not.

Nor do I feel shortchanged in the current state.

Oily I take back what I said about you, that video is hilarious. I needed time to warm up to you.

If the caps wont stay closed make sure they are pushed on ALL THE WAY they work off the fact that the scope is larger than the cap so it swells the cap and makes a tight fit

I have used them for years also with very few problems. However, I have broken a few objective caps lately. It seemed like the material they were made with was a little more brittle than previously. Things that I had done with old ones for years was now breaking the new ones.

Oh well, just have to be more careful I guess.

CM

oily, that is funny shit, could you do a night force field test with those caps as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAT_Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did Oily go? </div></div>

He be banned again.....sigh....

i've used these, and like them for hunting. a dab of glue on the clamping ring keeps the lens from popping off during hard use or wear after multiple lens color changes. i like the interchanging of yellow to gray. if you don't like the see thru because it causes "shine", a little scuffing with sandpaper and a sharpie or krylon works well.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/Weaver/PolarScopeCaps.asp

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/staticpages/charts/weaver_polar_cap_scope_covers.htm

http://www.weaveroptics.com/accessories/polarcaps.aspx

http://www.opticsplanet.net/weaver-polar-caps.html

they are nice to use on flashlights also, dulling the white to grayish, yellowish, or with a sharpie or colored saran wrap over the lens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver.Fox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine never stay closed. They get worn out or are just made too cheaply and pop open all the time... </div></div>

+1 idem for me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rifleman1981</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been fighting butler creek flip up caps and would love to find something that actually works as advertised, any suggestions??? </div></div>

I've been having problems with mine too,the objective popping open.They are all newer ones.I found that if I pushed hard enough to bend the plastic on the hinge area,when open,"away" from the scope,it would make it shut tight again.

Steve

I have been using Butler Creek flip-open caps for a long time. The two sets I've bought most recently seem to be a lot crappier then the older ones I have. I've already broken two of the "new" ones, but all my older ones are still going strong.

I also have an issue with the objective cap (one of the new pieces) on my Nightforce NXS not wanting to stay closed.

I would love a better quality option.

Does anyone make metal covers with rare earth magnets to keep the covers closed like on the Leupold covers, that will fit larger objectives (like my US Optics). I love the ones on my Leupold, but they don't make enough sizes to fit my other scopes.

My new butler creek occular popped open during hunting because I bumped the red lever, then the cap became a frisbee shortly therafter.

I bought another objective cover for my occular. It fits fine. I don't need that goofy red lever, anyway. I trimmed opening tabs off both, whittled them down to a small nub, so they only open when I WANT them open.

I shoot a Bushnell 3-12x44 Elite 4200.

I am only an amateur, but it seems to work so far.

Nate