• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

buttons or touch screen for GPS

XOK-DESIGN

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2011
Australia, Griffith
Hi all
Im looking to purchase a new GPS and am unsure if i should be getting one with buttons or touch screen. I have used plenty of touch screen phones and like them but an unsure how good the technology is in the GPS units. Im looking at either Garmin Oregon 450 (touch) or the Garmin 62S (buttons). My local shops only stock the real low end equipment so I haven't had the chance to play with a touch screen.
Any help much appreciated

Re: buttons or touch screen for GPS

It's the same technology.

The only problem I can think of: You can't wear gloves if you use it in the cold.

If it's in your budget I would go with the touch.

I had the same thoughts recently when I was in the market for a new GPS. Based on the problems that I've had with the touch screen on my Garmin GPS that I use in my car, I decided to get the Garmin GPSMap 62ST with buttons. In my opinion, there is less to go wrong and it is very simple to operate. Based on how filthy this thing has gotten in the field, I'm sure I made the right decision.

Touch screens are actually a lot easier to fix. There's usually just one ribbon cable from the glass to the circuit board. I've fixed a few phones and It's an easy operation.