• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buyer/Seller beware on Gunbroker

nso123

High Speed Steel Stinger
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2010
Tennessee
I am selling an HK91 on Gunbroker. I received an email from a member on gunbroker whose user name is Randygreer asking some questions. I cordially answer them as I do any questions and then the item ended. I relisted it and he contacted me again asking if I could take some form of payment other than money order or cashier's check, specifically asking about a credit card payment. I don't have any method of accepting a credit card, so I told him that I don't do cards. He then contacts me again saying that he will buy it if I drive to Cincinatti, OH to meet him at a dealer. I live 8 hours from Cincinatti, so nope, that is not happening either. Well, tonight he contacts me again telling me that he will take it for my buy it now price if I will ship it to a specific shop and he would send me a bank check. I assumed that he was asking for the shipping to be included in the price, and I said that I would do it. Then he goes into a diatribe about how. I only have an 8 feedback score on there (which are all A+) and he wants me to send the rifle first, then he will send payment because he is taking a big risk dealing with someone with 8 feedback scores. I told him that his plan would never happen and that nobody is going to send him a rifle then take payment. He sends me another email saying that he doesn't trust me.

It seems to me that he is trying to twist my arm into sending a rifle out without payment, and trying to either make me feel guilty or make me feel like I need to prove him wrong. He touted his excellent transaction record on there, which I was not able to see, so I figure I will put this out as a caution to anyone who happens to run across him. He may be fine to deal with and just be a flake, or he may be looking for a free rifle. Either way, it smelled bad to me.

Yeah you seem much more restrained than I would have been. I would have told him to shove that check up his ass.

If it doesn't feel right, back away from it.

If I remember correctly, Gunbroker spells out the steps involved after a sale takes place, and I believe payment is sent first.

There is absolutely no fucking way I'd ship a rifle without full payment even if I know the person. I take way too many fraud / theft reports to even think about doing anything remotely questionable.

Don't be racist. Ship the rifle to him and trust him to pay you. No wonder the world is going to shit. Where is the trust?

This joker just keeps coming at me. Tonight I get an email from him telling me that he was just trying to take care of both of us and that it was a big deal for me to expect him to trust me and send me the money before I shipped the rifle. He went on to tell me how he has plenty of rifles and that I could go fuck myself. It is funny that he is so torqued about it. Either way, he is a nut job or a scam artist, so take care if you see the name Rand Greer in Ohio show up on one of your transactions.

If he's so fuckin' nervous, why be trying to buy things on gunbroker at all? He needs to just stick to the local gun shows. You're right, he's either a whack job or scammer.

You're right, he's either a whack job or scammer.
he probably thinks he is in the right and can't understand why he wouldn't sale him the rifle that way so I would say he is a plain old nut job...or is from Nigeria.

I am selling an HK91 on Gunbroker. I received an email from a member on gunbroker whose user name is Randygreer asking some questions. I cordially answer them as I do any questions and then the item ended. I relisted it and he contacted me again asking if I could take some form of payment other than money order or cashier's check, specifically asking about a credit card payment. I don't have any method of accepting a credit card, so I told him that I don't do cards. He then contacts me again saying that he will buy it if I drive to Cincinatti, OH to meet him at a dealer. I live 8 hours from Cincinatti, so nope, that is not happening either. Well, tonight he contacts me again telling me that he will take it for my buy it now price if I will ship it to a specific shop and he would send me a bank check. I assumed that he was asking for the shipping to be included in the price, and I said that I would do it. Then he goes into a diatribe about how. I only have an 8 feedback score on there (which are all A+) and he wants me to send the rifle first, then he will send payment because he is taking a big risk dealing with someone with 8 feedback scores. I told him that his plan would never happen and that nobody is going to send him a rifle then take payment. He sends me another email saying that he doesn't trust me.

It seems to me that he is trying to twist my arm into sending a rifle out without payment, and trying to either make me feel guilty or make me feel like I need to prove him wrong. He touted his excellent transaction record on there, which I was not able to see, so I figure I will put this out as a caution to anyone who happens to run across him. He may be fine to deal with and just be a flake, or he may be looking for a free rifle. Either way, it smelled bad to me.
Based on what you have stated it sounds as if this person should not have a firearm let alone be sold a firearm.

sent via Tapatalk

Leave him shitty feedback on GB and contact the GB people to let them know of his BS.

"Mr. Greer was uncooperative and insulting during email conversations regarding arranging payment and shipping. I will have no further business with this individual"

That's his only negative. Obviously you're not the first guy he's been a weirdo to.

Yeah you seem much more restrained than I would have been. I would have told him to shove that check up his ass.

I agree 100%, But, dealing on the internet is based on 99% trust with both parties. I have bought lots of stuff on SH and Rugerforum. I have sent some pretty good sized chks for guns and accy's that I don't have proof the people have. They could download pictures from another site if they so choose and sell ficticious merchandise. Buying on SH, GB, Ebay at least now there is a feedback system in place but trust still comes into play in a big way. A Chris Cochrane screwed me on a set of Ivory Browning High-Power grips yrs ago and I still have a shitty taste in my mouth from that deal. Just never in Chicago to look him up! krw
PS: If your the seller you have the merchandise and money at the same time! This is where the trust factor comes to play.

Last edited:
I purchased a LMT on Gunbroker, never received it and the seller went dark. I started to see the same LMT pop up on GB, same pics and different locations and asking prices. I got lucky since I had sent him payment via paypal as a gift, but still typed "LMT" in the commetnts, got my money back. As krw mentioned, you need to put your BS feelers out, if it feels wrong don't proceed. You asked for a specific type of payment and he wanted to change the rules. Your sale, your firearm, your payment method, your rules.

Here is one that just got run on a member of my cigar BB (onlinehumidor.com)

Guy was selling/trading some high end, high dollar cigars. He was active on both OLH and on cA (cigar Afficianado). Gets contacted via e-mail from member "Good rep A" from Canada saying he wants the cigars and he'll trade a bunch of stuff. He's going to be visiting Boston next week, and will ship his end out from there to avoid customs hassels. Lots of communication everything is great. The guy has obviously read a lot of posts, and sounds like "Good rep A"

Till the guy ships and the email addresses are deleted. See, he was never contacted by "Good rep A" by PM on any of the sites where he'd have to log in. Everything was via e-mail, and none of them were the ones that GoodRepA ever used. It was a scam using a good guys rep and name. The offended party lost $3k in cigars. Lesson learned, make sure you know who you are dealing with. If the guy wasn't going through the GB process he may not have been who he said he was.

Another common thread with scammers is getting you to use PayPal friends and family, because you have no recourse. You sent the funds as a gift, so there is no legal expectation of anything in return. I'm more than willing to pay the 3% for my own peace of mind.

Last edited:
Homeboy hasn't sold a goddamn thing on gunbroker, all that positive feedback just says that he has previously paid for shit he wanted to buy. You have exactly 0 reasons to trust this cocksucker with your rifle. I know I'm preaching to the choir...