• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Buying a barrel with pre-cut chamber/tenon?

ChrisBCS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
If I wanted to re-barrel an action myself, with a .308 bore and a .30-06 chamber, but didn't have access to a lathe to cut the tenon, bolt face, chamber or crown from a blank, are there high quality options (for example, something like a Schneider heavy barrel)? Or is the only serious option to send the action to be rebarreled by a smith?

The most straight forward method would be with a Savage barrel nut system and prefit chambered barrel.

Agree 100%.

I run a custom Remington action that is cut for Savage-threaded barrels and I love it. Cheap but good barrels and easy headspacing with no machining necessary. Fast caliber swaps too. You can buy Shilen and Criterion barrels for most popular calibers from Northland Shooters Supply for around $300. Northland also sells Remington barrels that are threaded on the outside to use a Savage-like barrel nut which they sell. Note: Rem and Savage outer thread diameters are not the same and therefore not interchangeable.

Hope that helps.

-Bryan

If you already have the action and it isn't a Savage, you can install a threaded/short chambered barrel with only hand tools.

There are plenty of articles and videos out there. You can rent a reamer and headspace gauges at reamerrentals.com reasonably.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to go SLOWLY and check your work often. If you ream too deep it is hard to fix without a lathe.

PM me if you have any questions.

In all honesty I would send it to a smith and have them fit a barrel to your action. You will have greater options and will only cost you a few dollars more after you rent a reamer and possibly have to purchase a wrench/vise. Most of my clients have found it much easier and more effective to have me do it for them. Find a good gunsmith and go that route! Best of luck.

Agree 100%.

I run a custom Remington action that is cut for Savage-threaded barrels and I love it. Cheap but good barrels and easy headspacing with no machining necessary. Fast caliber swaps too. You can buy Shilen and Criterion barrels for most popular calibers from Northland Shooters Supply for around $300. Northland also sells Remington barrels that are threaded on the outside to use a Savage-like barrel nut which they sell. Note: Rem and Savage outer thread diameters are not the same and therefore not interchangeable.

Hope that helps.

-Bryan

Not trying to hijack the thread but, out of curiosity, what kind of accuracy do you get if going this route?

I have a Remington action that I installed a Shilen prefit short chambered barrel on. First I had to fit a recoil lug so that I had the minimal bolt lug clearance and bolt nose clearance. Then I rented a reamer and hand reamed till I got a +1 chamber. I was amazed that this barrel shot so good. With hand loads, average is between .3-.6 moa dependent on how I'm shooting that day. I got the barrel from Brownell's for $259. All together, I have just over $1200 into the rifle. This price includes the price of a new Remington action, CDI dbm, Timney, HS Precision stock with a Karsten cheek piece. Needless to say, I'm very happy with this rifle, even though it is my cheapest one.