• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying a British .303 #4 Mark 1 Questions

KRAKER

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
I have an opportunity to buy a British .303 #4 Mark 1 (?Correct nomenclature?) with a bayonet, however I have no knowledge about this type of rifle. Is there anything I should be looking for when I have a chance to put my hands on it that would be a deal breaker. The asking price is $200. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge. I know this rifle will most likely not be the best shooter, but it will make a nice wall hanger. That being said it would be nice to put a few rounds through it on occasion.

Re: Buying a British .303 #4 Mark 1 Questions

Check the headspace with gauges. They are notorious for creeping headspace.

Eyeball the bore real well. Bore is everything with these old rifles.

Well, one thing I always look for when buying milsurps (non US milsurps that is...) is I Check for matching Serial numbers..probably not a big deal for you, but is a plus, Usually headspace isnt an issue if the bolt matches (of course with enfields you can change the bolt head, and someone might have done so) receiver, bolt, mag (possibly). Ive had three enfields over the years and always tried to find matching # rifles. Of course thats what I looked for though, If the bore is clean and shiny id say go for it. 200 is not a terrible deal, esp in todays market for milsurps, What manufacture is it? year? Mk1? or mk1*?

anyway, theyre awesome rifles!

Will the bolt and receiver both be marked with the serial numbers? If so where? How is the bolt removed? (In order to get a good look at the bore)

Bolt will be marked on bottom or rear of bolt handle... might have been scrubbed (taken off) I have seen instances where bolts are not marked...the receiver will be serialized along with manufacturer/date on left side of receiver wall. bolt can be removed by opening the bolt, and depending on if its a mk1 or mk1* the bolt head is in a raceway, and when its in the rear can be lifted out of the race way, and bolt can be puled totally out, if its an earlier mk1 it will have a tiny latch in the rear that will allow the bolt head to be removed from the race way.

http://207.36.233.89/no4/rifledisassembly2006/index.asp

Refer to the above for disassembling (taking bolt out) if you need a pictorial image

They are fun old rifles. The bolt is definitely different. It is smooth and can be worked very quickly. I've traded/sold most of my surplus rifles but my Enfield is one of the few that I never will. If it is in original condition with matching numbers, that is a good price.

Yes I love how fast you can manipulate the bolt on an enfield...I love the "Cock on close" actions...I wonder why bolt actions arent like that today? (To me...an inexperienced person) I feel it is easier/better...but maybe theres a reason rifles nowadays arent.

BUT I love it.