• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying a Left Handed 6.5 - Need Some Guidance

celtics10

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2017
Hey all,

I've been shooting my stag 6L for about 5 years now and want to get into a 6.5 creedmoor to push past 700ish and deal with wind better at extended ranges. Use will mostly be punching paper, shooting steel out to 1000+, maybe a little F class, and smacking the occasional coyote or prairie dog way out there. I am left handed and that's a problem in today's factory rifle market. I'm thinking I have a budget of 1500 or so and I've been considering going two routes so far:

1) (preferred choice) Buy a used tikka in an xlr element chassis that already has an aftermarket threaded barrel for a brake. I have a tikka in 270 for a hunting rifle and really like the action. I've seen the combo I described pop up in the FS section before in the 1400-1600 range. I've handled the element chassis before on a bergara and really liked it. If it came to it, I could do the setup I described with a 700 action too. My one issue with this is that it might be difficult to find.

2) Buy a savage model 10 stealth, junk the stock and put on an xlr tactical stock and muzzle brake. This would be much easier to do, but I'm not a huge fan of the savage action and I'd like a longer fore end. Also I believe the savage factory rail is 0 moa which is kind of a bummer.

Scope wise I will likely go with a burris xtr ii 4-20 or 5-25. I have a gen I razor on my stag right now, and I know I want a thinner reticle and 0.2 wind holds so the burris will be the likely choice. Also I will be shooting factory ammo, I'll try out four or five brands and see what shoots best.

I would sincerely appreciate any input, and if you have any other suggestions for rifle options, I would love to hear it.

I am in the same boat as you - a lefty looking for an accurate 1K general purpose target rifle. You are so right about factory offerings today. I get it, there are so few of us, but we get no love! How hard could it reeeeeeally be for Tikka to put out a few lefty versions of their new chassis rifle????

I like your 1st choice. I am sure there is someone out there that has already been there, done that, and is looking to sell. Given you need a left bolt, it might take some time to find something. If I didn't already convince myself a custom build was the way to go for me, I would have just found a lefty Tikka and build as necessary on that.

Your choice 2 would be completely serviceable for pure target shooting, but if feeding/extracting performance becomes important to you, I would try to talk you out of a Savage. (Yes, I have experienced them, I have three.) One of my Savages (a 12FV with a factory barrel) is VERY accurate.

I throw this out there given the ammo is the real cost behind shooting: save up a few more $'s (eat out fewer times, run the a/c less, etc.) and build something specific to your wants/needs. I figured for about $1,200 I could get into a custom build on a trued R700 (then add your choice of quality stock). That would put you at about 2K, which is not far off of your $1,500. For ~$500 - $600 more, you could (almost) have a custom action of your choice.

Just say'n....

I forgot to add... I emailed Bergara asking about left handed models and they responded that they might have something available Q1 of 2018.

I'm in the same boat wanting to get a left handed 6.5cm. I would also like to get one in stainless action as I will use it for hunting.

One option, since you seem to like your stag is they now are offering a left hand 6.5cm ar-10. They just released it and are having a sale on pre-orders. It is about in your price range.

I asked remington to discontinue some of the crappy right hand models that dont sell and build a couple more left hand models. They said to call them and they would do custom builds if you want. No idea on pricing though.

Curtis Custom didnt even respond on facebook when I asked about a left hand version of their axiom action.

There are a bunch of short action remington receivers floating around out there. Could always get one of those, add some used parts and build a cheap gun until something better come along. Thats what Im doing.

Hmm well I came in thinking I was going one of two routes, but now I'm considering two more. Funny how that works. I will have to consider expanding the rifle price up to around 2k, just to see what's available. I was budgeting 2500 for rifle and glass, but I could probably hop my Razor HD over to the 6.5 and pick up a fixed 12x SWFA for my stag for the time being. Also gpr I was all ready to say no, I'd rather not deal with the extra dimension of an AR 10, but I looked the stag up and dang, a stainless barrel, nice hanguard, brake, and magpul PRS for around 1600 is gonna be worth considering. I think I'll also have to call up Tikka, Remington, and Bergara and see if I can pry any details about anything up and coming. I appreciate all the help, this site continues to be a great place to learn.

I think I'll also have to call up Tikka, Remington, and Bergara and see if I can pry any details about anything up and coming..

if you call them up and asked about left handed models, i'd be real curious about if they would build something custom. For instant Remington makes a stainless left hand action. If they would install a 6.5 5r barrel onto it i would be extremely interested, and wonder what the price of that would be.

If you would post your findings when talking with these companies I know I would greatly appreciate it!

Lefty here too, I'd pick up a donor rem 700. Say $400? Trigger $200 Custom Tube $350 $950, smith range 300-500? Depending on what they do to action.

Or, go remage, CBI. You are right at the $950 range, plenty left for a stock!

I looked into doing it in parts and for a remi action with an xlr chassis, barrel, brake, etc, it's looking like 1600, and then plus 150 for a tikka action, and that's before what the smith runs. I definitely won't go the semi route just because I'll be moving to an ultra-ban state in a year and a bolt is just the safe play. I think I'm gonna start my hunt in the FS section and then if that doesn't lead anywhere I'll go the parts route. I think I'll pass on the savage route for now too, I remember playing with the actions back when I worked in a gander mountain and the slop in the action is just too much. I appreciate all the input, and I'll be sure to post when I finally get a rifle put together, however it comes to be.

I forgot to add... I emailed Bergara asking about left handed models and they responded that they might have something available Q1 of 2018.

I'd be a buyer if Bergara offered a left handed HMR in 6.5 CM. Thanks for mentioning this as I've been watching their site and they've indicated southpaw versions will someday be available but no clear time other than that. Your conversation with them makes me hopeful.

I got 2 LH Rem 700's. One in 260, one in 308. Both have Krieger barrels and they are one hole guns. Getting the parts is easy. The trick is to find a gunsmith you trust to do the work....

I've given up on trying to find good factory left handed rifles. While I've shot right-handed rifles most of my life, I decided a few years ago to get proper rifles in hand. The extra money to have something built the way I want is worth it. There are a couple smiths that are left handed themselves and do great work on left handed rifles. I have a match gun from Aaron Roberts and a had a 6.5 creedmoor hunting rifle built by Eddie Fosnaugh of Fosnaugh customs. I bought a trued Remy 700 action from him and provided the other parts. It is an absolute laser and has quickly become my favorite rifle. He's a great guy to deal with.

Good of luck on your decision.

I was intrigued by the remington custom shop option, so i shot them an email the other day. Their custom guns start at $1995 and go up from there. But sounds like they can build you whatever you want, which includes a left hand model. I didn't go into details, as for that price i will just buy a SS left hand action, put a remage barrel on it, a good trigger, and a stock i like and be half the price of what they want.

Pacific tool and gauge has lefty long and short stainless at 380 this weekend. could be a good place to start.......unless you have 1300 or so then go bighorn t 3

Idahoorion.

Lefthand Tikka stainless rifles sell for around $650. Sell the stock, bottom metal (plastic) and take off barrel for -$100. to $150. Add a barrel blank for $350. chambered and threaded for another $350. XLR Element chassis complete another $700. and your talking $1950. out the door +or - $50.. And in scope, base and rings and your good to go shoot....