• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Buying a new stock question

Chad44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2012
Castle rock, CO
I'm putting a slightly heavier barrel on my rem 700. The factory stock doesn't have enough wood in the channel to take out so I'll either have to build it up or buy a new stock. My question is when ordering a stock from say stocky's most stocks either say factory contour or heavy varmint. Mine is In between. There is also a light mountain (not sure what that contour is). I'm using a brux #5. Obviously I need it free floated but don't want tons of room between the stock and barrel. Any suggestions other then getting a custom ordered stock? On a budget for this one
Thanks

If you order a stock that can take a varmint contour, but order it in a sporter configuration, your gunsmith will mill the barrel channel to match your barrel profile. It is much easier to remove material than to add it. Also, if you get a McMillan, they will remove material to match your barrel contour for a very reasonable price.

There's no harm in having a little extra space around the barrel.

If it was me, and I was on a budget, i'd get the tighter channel and hog it out. I have various sizes dowels (some use deep sockets wrenches) and have at it with very rough grits of sand paper. Depends on how nice you want it to look and how much time you have.

Or you could actually measure your barrel OD at various points and call Stocky's and get their advice based on solid measurements. I like to avoid guesswork whenever possible as my experience is that guesswork up front usually leads to double work later on.

A number 5 Brux fits nicely into stocks inletted for the rem varmint. I have such an example.