• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying a Premade Data Book - Assess my Thoughts and Decisions

Det. John McClane

Yippee ki yay...
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2020
Looking to purchase my first data book. I searched this site well and have read many posts and other information, and I would appreciate any comments on my thoughts and plan before ordering.

I am going to go with a large modular book from Impact Data Books. I like being able to add, remove, and substitute pages. I like the large size. I can see it.

I have researched Storm Tactical. They appear to be great guys and offer an excellent product. I have also looked into other commercial offerings. Impact and Storm Tactical are the clear front runners. I just happen to prefer the Impact Data Books layout and modularity.

I have compared the standard premade book to the Snipers Hide version, and built a comparison chart.

Page Description
Premade
Snipers Hide
Index/Reference (10)​
X​
X​
Load Development (10)​
--​
X​
Drill – 21 Dot Drill (5)​
--​
X​
Blank B-B (10)​
X​
X​
Blank – Unknown Distance​
5​
10​
Blank – Cold Bore Pages (5)​
X​
--​
Blank – Mover Pages (5)​
X​
--​
Military/LE Silhouette​
15​
5​
Military/LE Shooter’s Diary (15)​
--​
X​
Shapes – Circles​
20​
5​
Shapes – Square (20)​
X​
--​
Index – Come Up (10)​
--​
X​
Index – End Fire Data Sheet Blank (5)​
--​
X​
Index – Notes​
3​
5​
Index Round Count (3)​
X​
X​
Military/LE Range Card Pages (2)​
X​
X​
Military/LE Sketch Pages (2)​
XX

I want the load development pages, shooters diary, and come up index from the Snipers Hide version, but I can also buy those separately. The premade version has the cold bore and movers pages, but again, I can buy those separately.

The premade version comes in the standard 80-weight paper, or Rite in the Rain paper. The Snipers Hide version only comes in the 80-weight executive stock paper. No Rite in the Rain option. This is strongly pushing me toward the premade modular book, and simply adding the other pages I want.

If I go with the premade, I would get in Rite in the Rain and add the following:
  • Load Development – Chronograph Velocity LD-CV
  • Shooters Diary – MLS SD2
  • Index Come Up Sheet – I-CUS (I like the 25-yard increments out to 1,000 yards)
Regardless of whether I get the premade or Sniper Hide version, I would add the following pages:
  • Load Development – LD-S
  • Reticle Hold – Vortex EBR-5 MRAD
  • Shooters Diary NRA Bullseye – SD-ML-NRAB
  • Shooters Diary Shoot N C Diamonds/5 Squares – SNC -8_12S
I would also likely get the page separators and a Rite in the Rain pen and use some wooden pencils as well.

I have an 8541 Tactical Data Book Cover on the way. I have my Mil Dot Master and a FDAC. This is the last thing I need to complete this step of the project—I think.

What do I have right, where can I improve, and what do I have wrong?

Reactions: Josh1978
That changes things! In the description it says it is only available in the 80 weight paper. The $8 upgrade is worth it, I think.

Pick a color, get a pen and go shoot. Unless you're always on a square range and shooting known size and constant shape steel, I don't see the reason for the pre-made stuff. I've had two of them and much prefer just the plain old book for whatever I need. I don't shoot on a square range typically though.

+1 on the last comment.. I’m at the the range to shoot, not to spend half the time recording and plotting shots. Granted, I use Rite in the Rain stuff to jot down important notes for load development, rd count, random notes etc... I understand my own language better than some book format that I only use 25% of.. but I’m lazy and wealthy, I just don’t have a lot of extra money. Each rifle gets a 4”x6” RITR book with some other crap thrown in the case.. Keep it simple..
1E35C5A8-F797-4CF9-A7B9-29B8BDA32D08.jpeg

I started using rite in the rain 1” 3 ring binder 5” x 7” I believe. Works well for me because i can shoot multiple guns on one book and then move the different cartridges to the appropriate binder. I like only having one binder to keep track of, especially if I’m getting true data on 3 or 4 rifles. You can get covers for then to hold pens and index cards etc.

Simple is good. I agree. I guess my goal is really to use this as an opportunity to carefully track enough data that I have a better understanding of when I'm not focusing or following the fundamentals, and when my wind calls or other environmental factors are the issue. I also want to deliberately gather data to get my known distances and wind/weather adjustments solid. I think that I will eventually progress to a 4x7 book, but until I am at that point, I want to have more data to focus on. I still need that data and discipline at this point in my shooting.

I use a mix of the two. I use a simple RnR top bound spiral book to record data at the range/in the field and then will enter that data, along with a narrative, into my shooter's log.

I have gotten to where I use the shooter's diary pages more than anything in the impact data book.

Reactions: Det. John McClane
Every barrel gets a RITR #373 and I have one of the covers that Tac Taylor makes for that size notebook for each gun. Books not currently in use stay in the bag where I keep my barrel switching stuff and get swapped in as barrels get swapped around. I use them to chart MV, load dev, dope, group size (while checking zero) and round count. I have a separate #373 notebook and cover where I chart the wind drills that I do as well.

Sounds like a good plan. Being able to get the pages you want it huge advantage to buying something with pages you won't use. A purpose driven data book is the best way to keep track of your data as you mentioned. One other thing to possibly get is a round count book. I have one for every rifle and barrel I have so I know how many rounds exactly each have.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm going to order up the Sniper Hide version in Rite in the Rain, and add a few supplemental pages. I'll make sure I have a round count page or separate book as well.

Reactions: rockmyglock
I think your thought process is right on track. I am new to long range shooting and I think that having a book that has space for all variables is good practice for new guys. Once we learn what data is important to us we can start limiting the entries in our data books. 👍

Reactions: Det. John McClane
I would be interested in hearing your experience as you work with your data book.

I'll send out updates as I start using it, so others can see what I'm doing and decide for themselves whether the data is worth the effort.

Reactions: SourMash