• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying a used 22/45?

piglatinhater

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2012
I found a guy selling a slightly used 22/45 lite (threaded). Supposedly low round count. What should I look out for? Any 22/45 experts?

Ammo?

Just do a function check to make sure that the trigger and safety work correctly. People like to monkey with them sometimes. Other than that there is not much that can go wrong with them. Enjoy.

I found a guy selling a slightly used 22/45 lite (threaded). Supposedly low round count. What should I look out for? Any 22/45 experts?

I'm no expert by any standard, nor do I own one myself.
But I will say at our last 3 steel challenge matches 4 members who recently purchased the 22/45 have all had feeding &/or extraction issues using various brands of ammo. Just thought I'd share what I've seen lately.

All older gen Rugers are better than latest production. They are just like AR's---tons of aftermarket avail to fix or customize

There's a pin in the bolt that is easy to lose. It limits the travel of the firing pin. Should it be dry fired without said pin, the firing pin will contact the chamber and leave a nick large enough to stop it from ejecting. If that happens, the nick has to be removed for the gun to cycle. A quick look at the chamber in the area of where the firing pin contacts the rim should tell you if this is a problem.

I would never be so stupid as to do what I described myself, but I've heard of it happening.

I bought one a couple of months ago, mainly because I needed a 22lr for trapping season and it had a threaded barrel for my can.

Biggest drawback I've seen with mine is the re-assembly after field stripping, kind of a bitch the first time you do it.....also, I don't like the fact it can't be fired in a pinch without the magazine in place, speaking of the mags, need to use the mag specified for the 22/45 according to the owners manual. Only ftf issues I've had with mine were due to inadequate lubrication on my part. A little CLP and function was flawless.

After getting a neck shot on a grouse at 15yds a couple of days ago and countless tree rats on my property, this little pistol is starting to grow on me......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free