• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Buying an under $600 scope?

Bdevr

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2014
Back in NV!
I am sure that this has been hashed out many times here before, so I will apologize in advance for asking...

I am in the process of building my first real bolt gun (Rem700 in .308, Mcree chassis, Timney 510, etc). Now it is just about time for optics :D. So is a sub $600 scope something that an aspiring target shooter can "grow with"?

They make scopes under $600? Just kidding. You will probably get a wide range of opinions on this, but my vote is for a Super Sniper 10xHD with mil/quad reticle. I have had a couple of these and they are a great deal for the money in my opinion. You can find them used on here from time-to-time in the $600 range. I've never owned a regular (non-HD) super sniper but I sure was impressed with the 10xHD - overall construction, turrets, clicks, etc.

The Super Sniper 3-9 is right at $600 new. No experience with them, but I'm eyeing one for my spr-ish at-15. Never heard anything bad about them and you really don't need any more magnification for 308 ranges.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

What I would do is pick up a Bushnell 10x mil/mil from midwayusa. They are about $220ish and you can get $20 off from the new customer vat promo code. Take the rest of the money and save it for when you're ready to upgrade. The 10x Bushy will do all you need to do starting out. By the time you have more saved up, you'll have a better idea of what you want and don't want.

What kind of target shooting? Distances?

Unfortunately, the majority will be under 300 yards. I relocated to Comminecticut last year and that appears to be the max around here. God I can not wait to move back to NV!

As far as going with a cheap scope, I have a Simmons Whitetail mildot 5x20 that came off of a gas-gun (that was "too scary" to bring to CT). I could go with that for now, but I did not want to be limited by cheap glass as I have my lack of shooting skills to do that already...

I have had great success with my Falcon Menace 4-14.
Several excellent reticles to choose from and the glass is quite clear and sharp.

Millet LRS. 6-25X. You can get one on-line for <$500.

I've used one for F/TR at both 600 and 1,000 and shot to 1,100 yards with it often. They have 140 MOA internal travel. It's not a Nightforce or similar quality but is a very decent scope for the money. Not saying it would be a good choice for F class (the reticle is really thick) so we use a Nightforce NXS for target shooting. However, it's the best scope in that price range I have used for long distance plinking.

Tylerw02's advice seems like a good way to go. Likewise, if you chose the SWFA or Vortex you should be able to recoup most of your investment later (assuming you take care of the scope) if you want to sell it to upgrade.

The Sightron SIII 3.5-10 Mildot with .1 Mil Clicks would be perfect if you can live with that magnification. Or an SWFA 10X HD from the classifieds here. I wouldn't hesitate to put either of them on a 308 bolt gun for what you are talking about. The SWFA 'regular' scopes for 300$ are popular options as well and have parallax that can focus up close so once you get your dream scope you can put that on a .22 plinker/trainer.

The 10X bushnell suggested above is okay, no parallax adjustment but works fine otherwise.

Not a big fan of the falcon/bsa/primary arms FFp scopes. I do have one on a 10-22 but frankly the SWFA and SIGHTRON scopes I suggested above are much, much better.

I am really enjoying my Leupold VX-R Patrol 3x9 on my AR. If you are ok with SFP and 3-9 I recommend it. If you don't want/need the illuminated reticle though you may be able to find a better scope for the money.

I have a Vortex Viper HS-T that is flat out a bunch of scope for the money. I put it on a tracking board and it tracks accurately and the reticle subtends correctly. I like it a bunch but am about to offer it up for sale so I can recoup some of my expense for a recent Bushnell LRHS purchase. PM me if you're interested.

John

Get a vortex viper pst ffp mil/mil or moa/moa. demo version from cameraland. No nonsense lifetime warranty so nothing to worry about being a demo. Usually new in open box.

I have the 4-14x44 FFP Mil/Mil scope from Primary Arms. $240 shipped. Glass clarity is great and scope tracks well--turrets a little mushy but audible and felt clicks. 362 rounds of .308 haven't shaken anything loose. Have hit steel at 1040 yards with it. Best scope for the $$ on the market I think. Did/Do I want a Bushy HDMR or Vortex or USO? Sure, but this one fit my goal of building a $1,000/1000 yard rifle (to start with). And since this scope hasn't crapped the bed yet, I decided to buy a chassis and trigger as my first upgrades instead of glass.

From their website;

Features
•Primary Arms 4-14X44 FFP Scope Mil Dot Reticle
Length 12.56"
Exit pupil 11.2-3.2 mm
Eye relief 109-83mm
Field of view 9 - 30"
Click value 1/10 mil
Total Elevation 33MILs
Parallax 10yds to infinity
30mm tube Coating
Fully-multi-coating
Diopter +2 ~ -2
Weight 1 lb 7oz
Etched reticle
Three-Year manufacturer warranty

Average Customer Review: 5 of 5 | Total Reviews: 58 Write a review.

Vortex Viper HS-T rock for the price are hard to beat. Also ask for HIDE price. $559.99 to $629.99.

Use this link to get more info.
rfl_vhs-t_s_4-16x44_moa_fr-t.jpg

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

Last edited:
I would get a SWFA SS fixed 10x for $299. It's a very good value, a lot more scope than the $200-250 Bushnell 10x, and when you have money for something nicer you can put the SS on a .22 or resell it for not much less than you paid for it.

The Bushnell 10x lacks a parallax adjustment, and in my opinion has inferior optics, reticle, knobs, and overall construction. Yes, I have owned and used one, as well as two of the SS scopes (and many other of the HD model SS scopes).

If you wanted to spend more for whatever reason I would get the Sightron 3.5-10x mentioned above, or the SS 3-9x mentioned above, or maybe the SS "HD model" 10x which lists for $799 but can often be found closer to $600, and is a really nice scope for its price.

I've owned a bunch of Vortex scopes and have never been happy with the optics in any except the 2.5-10x32 FFP model PST, which is above your budget and not really ideal for your uses (a larger exit pupil at 10x would be desirable).

Thanks for all of the input.
I would say the most valuable thing that I have learned from this thread is that I HAVE A LOT TO LEARN. So many of these post are leaving me wondering wtf the poster is talking about.

That's one reason I suggest saving the majority of your budget for when you have a better grasp of things. Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Vortex Viper HS-T that is flat out a bunch of scope for the money. I put it on a tracking board and it tracks accurately and the reticle subtends correctly. I like it a bunch but am about to offer it up for sale so I can recoup some of my expense for a recent Bushnell LRHS purchase. PM me if you're interested.

John

OP, there's your new scope.

1911fan