• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying bulk before load development

fvalmostthere

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Have a new Gt barrel on the way and was thinking about picking up 1000 105 Berger hybrids. That should get me through the year and if I want to change bullets I would have next winter to do load development. I am a little hesitant because I don’t even have the barrel yet and haven’t done load development to see if they will shoot. I have never heard of Berger hybrids not shooting but also don’t want to get stuck with a bunch. With my last 6.5 creed barrel I bought about 200 of 3 different bullets and after testing chose one. Never picked one and just ran with it from the start.

on another note does anybody ever work up 2 loads of the same grain bullet, one with match bullets and one with cheaper ones for practice? I’ve thought about it but seems like you might get used to what the practice bullet does. Seems to go against the fear the man with one gun mentality at least in my head.

thanks in advance!

With ELDM and hybrids I always been a able to get them to shoot.

I often work up a high node with an expensive bullet an a low node with a cheaper bullet like the Hornandy BTHP’s

If you cant get the 105 hybrids to shoot it isn't the bullets fault. Second most forgiving bullet ever behind the old 107 smk.

Buy with confidence. If you want Ill send you a pile to test with along with a load for your rifle. I don't think you will need it!

GL
DT

Last edited:
Reactions: Milo 2.5
To me, it makes more sense to buy bulk if you're reloading a round that has lots of load information on it and people have been shooting it for a while. Like 6.5 creed. Choose 140's and 4350 in Lapua SRP brass and 99 times out of 100 it's going to shoot no matter what. For a new round I've never shot and it's relatively new I wouldn't buy bulk. I'd buy enough to get through the barrel speeding up/break-in. If you think those components are going to shoot and looked promising during "break-in" then buy more and do load development with them. If not, change something up and try it.

If you can't get the 105 Hybrids to shoot I'll buy all the left overs for 32 cents a piece shipped. Offer is good for 6 months.

Buy as few as possible to get free shipping. Maybe 200 or so. If they shoot, get the other 800.

As others have suggested above, you won't have any trouble getting a good return on your unused 105gr Hybrids.

As far as practice loads, what I have done successfully with several barrels is to develop my match load, then using the same powder charge and seating depth setting on the seating die, load a few practice rounds with a cheaper bullet. Every time the practice load has been more than accurate enough for short range practice.

My home range isn't long enough to get used to the wrong load and mess up in a match....and it sure save a lot of time pounding out a few hundred practice loads on the Dillon 550 as opposed to weighing all my charges for match loads.

Even if your practice loads are different at, 100 - 300yds you won't practically see a difference, but you'll be getting good reps in building solid positions, breathing and squeezing the trigger, managing the recoil, and maintaining your follow through.

Good luck,
Ross