• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Buying F-Class Scope Today - Need Advice

Pinmaster

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
Nashville, TN
I am going to order a new scope today (or tomorrow) to use on a 600-1,000yd F-class T/R (.308) gun.

I have narrowed my choice down to two scopes:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Nightforce</span> Benchrest Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 12-42x 56mm NP-2DD Reticle

<span style="font-weight: bold">Sightron</span> SIII Long Range Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 10-50x 60mm Side Focus 1/8 MOA Dot Reticle

If the NF NXS with the 1/8 elevation clicks were out in the market I would consider it also. However, the NXS my cost a good bit more than the two listed above.

I have a 20 MOA base and may need the extra 10MOA that the Sightron has built in... but I do like the proven track record of the NF products.

I would appreciate any advice that folks with more experience may have to offer.

Re: Buying F-Class Scope Today - Need Advice

I havn't had a chance to try the Sightron yet, but my NF BR 12-42 is the only piece of kit I havn't changed in 5 years of competing. Get a 20 minute base, and Burris Signature Zee rings. The offset inserts in the rings will buy you the extra elevation, groip the scope tube really well, and they won't mark your scope. Just don't overtorque the crossbolts on the rings- I've done that twice!

Thanks for the advice wolfman1 do you use Burris rings with your NF scope?

I ordered a NF 12-42 NP-2DD scope today... If need the zee rings I need to get them on the way ASAP.

I have a nice set of USO Rings that would work.However, it sounds as if I may need the additional elevation that the zee rings offer.

If you are willing to spend then get a NF. For $350, I've done really well with a fixed 24x Weaver.

Good choice on the NF, I have several and they have been rock solid. I played with a new Sightron 10-50 a couple weeks ago, and the adjustments are simply way to light. I have heard Sightron is working on this, but can't confirm...

Pinmaster:
From my experience, shooting F-Class there appears to be two types of shooters. One being the bench rest shooter who likes to shoot F-Class and the Tactical folks who like to shoot F-Class. The difference to me is that the Tacical shooters seem to shoot with bi pods and the ex bench rest shooters bring a 30 to 50 lbs front tri pods to shoot with. From my observations the bench rest converts seem to go with the 36 to 42 fixed scopes and the Tac guys shoot a 15x to 24 x variable scope. I shoot F Class and I do the tactical approach and have found the 10x SB on my AIAW is good over the course of fire. The bench rest converts tell me that a the tac shooters and BR shooters on an equal plane, that the Tac shooters will loose 5 points on a course of fire (100) points as opposed to the BR shooters becaues of the rifle rest. Not sure how accurate that is because I can not shoot over 100% assuming I would add 5%.
Dan

I started with a 10x scope and shot some decent scores: 575/600. However, using a 10x scope is a little on the under-powered side when aiming at a 3" target from 600 yards. I can't see the target in detail and have to use the mil-dots to bracket it. I think 20-24x is ideal for F-Class and estimate gaining 5-10 points since moving to a fixed 24x. 36x, on the other hand, might be a bit too much because mirage on some days makes it completely un-usable. You must have a variable when using power that high so you can turn it down as needed. If you are on a budget, a fixed 20x to 24x is perfect. Love my 24x Weaver: only cost me $350.

F-T/R

Caliber limited to .223 or .308 (unmodified).
Sling and/or bipod allowed.
Rifle weight limit of 8.25 kgs (approx. 18.18 lbs).
Just be careful with the weight factor,18.18 lbs is rifle,scope,and bipod.

Nightforce Benchrest Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 12-42x 56mm NP-2DD Reticle
WEIGHT 36oz

Sightron SIII Long Range Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 10-50x 60mm Side Focus 1/8 MOA Dot Reticle
WEIGHT 28.92 oz

Thanks for the advice guys.... the scope came in today.
NF BR 12-42 NP-2DD. I still want to use the EGW 20MOA extended F-class mount so I can move the scope forward if I need to. I ordered the Burris Signature 30mm Zee rings in hopes that they will allow me the extra elevation that I may need to reach the 1,000 yard target.

The rings came with +/- 10 inserts/ If I understand correctly I can put the +10 in the rear ring and a -10 in the front and get 20MOA of additional evelvation, correct?

Many thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfman1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Burris Signature Zee rings. . <span style="font-weight: bold">Just don't overtorque the crossbolts on the rings- I've done that twice!</span> </div></div>

Well welcome me to the club.... I broke a cross bolt last night. I should have asked "how much is too much". I set my tq wrench to 40 and "crank, crank, crank, snap". I may order a 30MOA base and use the USO rings that I have on the mount (NF 12-42) now.

Just FYI for anyone that may read this in the future.

I called Burris tech Support and they were <span style="text-decoration: underline">awesome</span>! The cross bolt should be 35 inch/pounds and they are going to help me with replacement ring/rings.

Yeah, those crossbolts will snap given half the chance!

Truth be told, you will likeloy be fine with either one of the mounting systems you mention. The Burris system is just a nice cushion to have. Set up the rig with whatever you've got, and go shoot some matches with it. You'll soon know if there are changes that you want/ need to make in the mounting system.

Sounds like you're well on your way. Go have some fun.

Hey Pinmaster, where you shooting around Nashville? I'm setting up my F T/R class 308 right now and it looks like Oak Ridge is where I'm gonna have to do my 1000 yard shooting.

ssfeu Oak Ridge is about it for 1000. Tullahoma has a 1k range too but you can only get on it when tehre is a match, I hear.

I plan on going to 500 yard matches around Birmingham. http://www.scssa.org/f-class.htm

Then maybe up to Oak Ridge when the have the 1k matches on Saturdays

how do you think a bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x would work

I'm a tact. shooter and shoot a 10x top end Leupold. How clear are the NF and Sightron scopes when you get up above say 30x? I personally have never had the pleasure to look through a scope that was really functional at 40x or more. The image was so fuzzy, the mirage and haze was so bad I liked shooting at a tiny target (through my 10x) better. Does the Sightron really work well at 50x? My other issue has always been I feel like I am trying to shoot through a drinking straw on high power scopes...granted they were not on my rifle setup for me but I could not find a place of good eye relief and it seemed that the higher the mag the harder it was to drive the setup?

When I used to compete I shot strictly tacticle 1 shot per target,unknown range targets. However now to be able to shoot more I am considering F class....not to win but to practice. I am a bipod, rear sock shooter and I am not used to sighter shots or the like but F class I feel could be a great way to stay tuned up in a competitive environment and maybe learn a thing or two at the same time. As a long time tact shooter I don't look down on benchrest or F class shooters.....alot of good technology, bullet type and loads etc have come from that type of shooting.I mean with a 60lb benchrest rig.......what better way to evaluate equipment? Very little human malfunction is allowed.

Thanks-Derek

BTW-there are plenty of good bases out their with 30-45 MOA built in and Barret makes a good set of MOA rings also.

Reactions: NATE40
He’s been waiting 12 years for your confirmation. For the first five years he was hopeful you’de chime in. Then for the next five he was just keeping hope alive. For the last few years he had almost thought about giving up and leaving, but he believed in you Nate40! It took you 12 years, but it’s all worth it now!

Oh yeah Barrett bases I can't be happier
Screenshot_20221006-051548_Chrome.jpg