• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying from online sellers...

brazosdog02

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2013
Let's poll the audience....

Does anyone request photos with handwritten dates, driver's licenses, or personal information of sellers prior to sending them money? I read that it's a good idea but does anyone actually request it?

I have a person online I am trying to buy from who is probably fine, but I can't be sure. They are worried about losing the item without payment and I am worried about losing money and not getting what I bought. to solve both issues, I suggested that before I send full payment, they provide me with the FFL name or phone they are going to use, take the firearm there so I can confirm the FFL at least has the gun in front of him. Then I push my payment through immediately on the spot. This seemed a pretty basic request and good for all parties involved and my personal FFL suggested this at a bare minimum. Seller gets paid immediately and if not, he walks out the door without losing his item, and buyer at least gets some semblance of peace knowing the item exists and is likely on the way. They are not willing to go through all of that trouble without the money being in the bank, which I understand, but doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. They are a very new user and have no feedback, and while I don't either, I have been a member since 2013 which probably means nothing to them, and I get that. It all made me feel reserved about the deal.

I hate to have a good transaction ruined by requesting stupid things, and It's likely all on the up and up, but it's just too much money to gamble with. How does everyone else handle high dollar purchases and feel OK they aren't getting into trouble in 2023?

I just call the person and then see about where they live what type of shooting they do. Just chit chat and see if any red flags pop up.

Does anyone request photos with handwritten dates, driver's licenses, or personal information of sellers prior to sending them money? I read that it's a good idea but does anyone actually request it?

I have a person online I am trying to buy from who is probably fine, but I can't be sure. They are worried about losing the item without payment and I am worried about losing money and not getting what I bought. to solve both issues, I suggested that before I send full payment, they provide me with the FFL name or phone they are going to use, take the firearm there so I can confirm the FFL at least has the gun in front of him. Then I push my payment through immediately on the spot. This seemed a pretty basic request and good for all parties involved and my personal FFL suggested this at a bare minimum. Seller gets paid immediately and if not, he walks out the door without losing his item, and buyer at least gets some semblance of peace knowing the item exists and is likely on the way. They are not willing to go through all of that trouble without the money being in the bank, which I understand, but doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. They are a very new user and have no feedback, and while I don't either, I have been a member since 2013 which probably means nothing to them, and I get that. It all made me feel reserved about the deal.

I hate to have a good transaction ruined by requesting stupid things, and It's likely all on the up and up, but it's just too much money to gamble with. How does everyone else handle high dollar purchases and feel OK they aren't getting into trouble in 2023?

Everybody makes things so complicated these days.
Nobody is going to ship you the item until you pay them (except some real trusting fool).
With as many tyre kickers as there are these days, few folks are going to want to go play merry go around for someone unless there is money in hand.
Anyone sending pictures of driver's licences is an idiot setting themselves up for identity theft.

Simple:

Ask the seller to do a video chat with you where you both can talk and see each other and have them show you the item and look it over during the video chat.

Agree with the seller on the terms of shipping, insurance and any return policy (if offered) and then proceed.

If you are still worried more than that, you just need to pay up and buy it retail from somewhere you can get your hands on it in person.

If the seller can't do a video chat, just walk away from the sale.
Don't bother listening to the excuses, video chat with the item or walk away.

Cool beans. Sounds good. I did attempt the phone call and left a message. This is usually how I vet people, over the phone. Seller did not return the message so I can’t really do that this time.

Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Bama Fan
I would want the weapon sitting on the counter of the FFL before I sent payment.
Even if the FFL charges you for doing this, it is "insurance".
The deal is already sounding "iffy" to you..... Go with your gut, not necessarily what the members suggest.

I absolutely want to see a piece of paper in a pic with the item, the date, and the seller's online handle...and I look close to make sure it wasn't photoshopped (not saying I can't be fooled but...I try at least).

Then I asbolutely want an exchange of full contact info (name, address, phone, email and I provide the same) and a phone call. Vid call/face time would be better but phone call has worked fine for me in the past.

i don't ask for DL nor will I provide a pic of mine. Far to subject to being used in scams.

Just my view.....but, I've found that a few minutes on the phone gives me a pretty good feel for what kind of person I'm talking to.

Oh, and of course....feedback/history buying/selling in PX. Uber important.

It would depend on what I’m selling and how tight the market is before I’d jump through those hoops to sell. I don’t usually use an FFL to ship if I don’t have to.

I get not wanting to send big money to a complete stranger. Video calls and pictures with notes and special requests make things a bit more secure.

Hello, fellow gun enthusiast.

If you are talking about a site that rhymes with rum smoker, there is contact information of the seller and you could answer your questions that way. I have done so, when I was buying an item. I had not seen the shipping info, as yet. He answered the phone and he had been out of state and too busy with his hands full, literally, to deal with it. I did get that item, BTW.

And no ATF laws, illegitimate or not, were broken.

Hello, fellow gun enthusiast.

If you are talking about a site that rhymes with rum smoker, there is contact information of the seller and you could answer your questions that way. I have done so, when I was buying an item. I had not seen the shipping info, as yet. He answered the phone and he had been out of state and too busy with his hands full, literally, to deal with it. I did get that item, BTW.

And no ATF laws, illegitimate or not, were broken.
Not on rum smoker.

I have to ask because I wonder every time I see a thread like this

How much money are you saving over buying the item new from a known good source?

and I don't mean what is retail price for the item :D no one pays retail price

I mean compared to street price from a reputable online vendor

I can't believe you are saving enough money to even worry about all this bullshit, so how much of a deal is it?

I started buying online in 2K, gunbroker, auction arms, sending cashiers checks to unknowns with absolutely no means of recovery.
No, if someone posts a pic with name, date and item great, but I still take the plunge, fuck it, never an issue. I chat with seller briefly in a pm, and transferred it to text a time or 2.
I have little feedback here, but have sold more than that shows, mostly higher dollar scopes, if a buyer states he is leery, I usually respond with my age and lack of desire to have to hide after being a schmuck, never fails, sale complete. Plus I won't insure jack shit, you don't get the item, I refund, simple.

If some cocksucker asks me to enter an escrow service, they can fuck off over there >>>>

If, or when I get scammed, I most likely will change my tune. Today, I give a lot of pricey shit away, sick of tire kickers and lowballers who will ghost you right now.

bought a few guns from people while at the range least till the law changed now having to go to the local ffl it's not bad just not as nice and an added fee even if the guy don't charge all that much .

I have to ask because I wonder every time I see a thread like this

How much money are you saving over buying the item new from a known good source?

and I don't mean what is retail price for the item :D no one pays retail price

I mean compared to street price from a reputable online vendor

I can't believe you are saving enough money to even worry about all this bullshit, so how much of a deal is it?
The bullshit dealing with sellers is part of the fun. Finding an item, talking to people, making a deal, the transaction….i enjoy it.

Last edited:
Regardless, never ever send a firearm or any product without insurance and a tracking number. Once sold a barrel. buyer had been poor mouthing so I gave him a deal. The item was old and cheap, so for once, I skipped the insurance.

Sad old poor mouth said it never arrived. To keep good faith, I returned his money even including the cost of the PO money order. Never got a thank you back or anything. Five years later, my barrel appeared online for sale. Can’t say poor mouth was the seller, the website (specialty pistols) had gone out of business and all information was long gone.

So, I learned my lesson. If I buy something from you, I will send money in good faith as quickly as possible, but only if you are a fellow (or lady) who has been around for a while. If not, i’ll just pass the ad by.

If I sell something, insurance and tracking numbers are now always included regardless of the price or value of the item(s) for sale. And I don’t send it till the money is in my hand and in my account and the bank says its good. Forget all this trust and Mr. Nice shit. As the sign says, In GOD we trust, all others pay cash.

And even now, I am so sick of all the hurtles having to jump through to do private business by mail, I am pretty much soured to it all.

Amen to that. Horta had a link to Lemon Party in one of his posts which I unfortunately clicked on not knowing what it was.

That shit burned my eyes so bad had to go to the optometrist.
@Dirty D got me on lemonparty, the bastard!

But there are easy ways to know what the URL is before you click.

1. Mobile (iPhone at least, prob Android): tap the link but hold.
You should get something like this:
73ACE1AD-1A53-469F-984D-5BC3754D2DF6.png

2. Desktop: hover mouse pointer over the link.
Depending on your browser, you would see the URL at the bottom left corner (typically on a Mac) or perhaps it might appear under the pointer if left hovering over the link (don’t move the mouse to get it to appear).

3. Desktop: right-click and copy the link. Paste somewhere to look at it.

See? Of course you want to recognize the URL. Urban Dictionary has been around a long time (in internet years) and has funny definitions that users create. No images.

Here is the Urban Dictionary’s definition of “soaking the broccoli”:
BC2C1222-BB00-44E4-B533-4FEA6FC8BD6B.png

Reactions: MCSO1357 and JR_77
@Dirty D got me on lemonparty, the bastard!

But there are easy ways to know what the URL is before you click.

1. Mobile (iPhone at least, prob Android): tap the link but hold.
You should get something like this:
View attachment 8230369

2. Desktop: hover mouse pointer over the link.
Depending on your browser, you would see the URL at the bottom left corner (typically on a Mac) or perhaps it might appear under the pointer if left hovering over the link (don’t move the mouse to get it to appear).

3. Desktop: right-click and copy the link. Paste somewhere to look at it.

See? Of course you want to recognize the URL. Urban Dictionary has been around a long time (in internet years) and has funny definitions that users create. No images.

Here is the Urban Dictionary’s definition of “soaking the broccoli”:
View attachment 8230375

Did not know that thanks for sharing.

Reactions: carbonbased
Cool beans. Sounds good. I did attempt the phone call and left a message. This is usually how I vet people, over the phone. Seller did not return the message so I can’t really do that this time.

Thanks for the advice.
Is this in reference to me? You called after 10pm on a Saturday night while I was out of state with my family, which I’d told you about. I’ll state this here to help my own cause in selling other stuff so please don’t take it personally … I’ve been a hide member just over a year after (I spent most of last year in Ukraine). Since last Saturday I’ve pulled the trigger on stuff I’ve been looking at for a while and have sent about $3,500 to hide members by Venmo. I’m waiting for feedback on one of them. The rifle is still for sale and you can it and the ammo for the reduced weekend price I made even though the thing I wanted is long gone. You’re easy to talk to man, grab a bargain.

Last edited:
I’ve gladly taken pics of item with my id , screenname and date. As well as phone call. if someone won’t do this, I’d bail

Reactions: Taylorbok
Is this in reference to me? You called after 10pm on a Saturday night while I was out of state with my family, which I’d told you about. I’ll state this here to help my own cause in selling other stuff so please don’t take it personally … I’ve been a hide member just over a year after (I spent most of last year in Ukraine). Since last Saturday I’ve pulled the trigger on stuff I’ve been looking at for a while and have sent about $3,500 to hide members by Venmo. I’m waiting for feedback on one of them. The rifle is still for sale and you can it and the ammo for the reduced weekend price I made even though the thing I wanted is long gone. You’re easy to talk to man, grab a bargain.
Hey man, it’s all good. That was partially in relation to you but not completely. I had a deal with another site that was shady, legitimate shady. That was happening while I was talking you. Unfortunately, my fear was placed on you and that’s not your fault or your problem. As someone said to me here, private sales may not be for me. I see your point of view as well, though. I was asking here to see what the general consensus on what people do. As expected, the comfort level in sales seems to have a large swing. lol. Just wanted to see if I was being ridiculous. I didn’t want to dump everything into the Venmo box without any other other info. If you get a chance to give me a shout this weekend or I can call you when it works for you. I appreciate you giving me a shout here. Talk to you soon.

Last edited:
Is this in reference to me?
Hey man, it’s all good. That was partially in relation to you but not completely. I had a deal with another site that was shady, legitimate shady. That was happening while I was talking you. Unfortunately, my fear was placed on you and that’s not your fault or your problem. As someone said to me here, private sales may not be for me. I see your point of view as well, though. I was asking here to see what the general consensus on what people do. As expected, the comfort level in sales seems to have a large swing. lol. Just wanted to see if I was being ridiculous. I didn’t want to dump everything into the Venmo box without any other other info. If you get a chance to give me a shout this weekend or I can call you when it works for you. I appreciate you giving me a shout here. Talk to you soon.
Yeah it’s a leap! It wasn’t easy for me to commit to but I’ve lurked around the hide a long time before I joined and most people here are honest it seems. I’ll give you a call tomorrow.