• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Buying handgun from out of state.

Vitorum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
TN
Hey guys what's up. I'm wanting to buy a handgun from a guy who lives just over the line from my state, It's TN to GA, but I'm wondering if I need an FFL for that
and if so how do I go about doing it? Thanks I appreciate it. If there is a diffferent section I should have posted in please direct me there. Thanks.

Yea that's what I'd do, he'd probably have the guy fill out the paperwork and make that phone call and y'all should be on your merry way. He may charge y'all a few bones for the service

Yea that's what I'd do, he'd probably have the guy fill out the paperwork and make that phone call and y'all should be on your merry way. He may charge y'all a few bones for the service

Thanks man I appreciate it.

I can drive to my local cabelas (wv i live in ohio) and buy a pistol, however I can't take it home. I have to pay a ffl to drive to cabelas, pick up the pistol and do the paperwork in his shop 7 miles from cabelas. Have your buddy ship it to a ffl in your state or have him meet you at your ffl in your state.

I can drive to my local cabelas (wv i live in ohio) and buy a pistol, however I can't take it home. I have to pay a ffl to drive to cabelas, pick up the pistol and do the paperwork in his shop 7 miles from cabelas. Have your buddy ship it to a ffl in your state or have him meet you at your ffl in your state.

Awe man that sounds like a royal PITA!!! All that for 7 stinkin miles!

The FFL holder doing the transfer has to be in the state in which the buyer is a legal resident. (Read, has a DL. I assume that's the OP). Provided the seller can transport it from TN to GA ( or vice verse) legally and the transferring FFL will receive a firearm from a non-FFL. (I am not sure why some licensees do not do this, but, I digress).

I believe I have made that as confusing as possible.

I suspect that thousands of parties meet at gun shows or shooting ranges and somebody has a nice pistol and an offer is made without a discussion of the residence(s) of the respective parties. Never enters their mind.

Heck, I know a friend who bought a nice ruger Blackhawk in a bar parking lot after a chance meeting with a prospective seller who said he was looking to sell the pistol. I doubt residency was part of the discussion.

I guess the point is that most guys would never even had thought about the issue in the first place. Not b/c their thumbing their noses at the Feds but b/c it never occurred to them to even ask.

Last edited:
Graham's Rule #1 applies. It's got to go from an FFL in the state of purchase, to an FFL in your state, to you on a 4473.

If you know a guy/gal with an FFL in your state and is willing to do a dealer transfer you can get a copy of his/her FFL and take it to the seller and leave with the handgun acting as an agent on your FFL's behalf I do it all the time I live in IL and buy guns in KY. All you need is a signed letter from your FFL with their john hancock and their FFL # then take it back to your FFL to fill out your 4473.