• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

buying new press, which one

tsonda

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2014
Central Texas
So I've been reloading precision for a couple of years. I'm looking to upgrade some of my reloading equipment. Which press for true precision reloading? What are the benchrest, F class guys using. I was thinking of the Forster. Just curios what everybody is using. So if you was starting from scratch what would you get.

Forster seems to do everything right. Then again, I've loaded Ammo that grouped just under 1/8" @ 100 yds with a 40+ year old RCBS partner press.

I'm using a Forster Co-Ax. The floating jaw design is fantastic, and something that I hardly ever see mentioned is the fact that it also doubles as a bench-mounted primer seater (though it's just one primer/case at a time).

I resize on a rock chucker with Redding S bushing die, I seat the bullets on An arbor press using LE Wilson seating die

Another Co Ax fan here. Does everything well and love the case holder and the quick change die ability. Also love the light kit from Inline Fabrication.

For sizing small to midsize the co-ax, I love mine. Does most things well but it does have a couple draw backs because of the floating die, rcbs bullet pulling die etc. Seating if you want the best then get an arbor style press. Id like to get into that next but at this point I have no qualms with the co-ax.

Co-AX here as well. I really enjoy using it and it makes fantastic ammunition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Co-AX here as well. I really enjoy using it and it makes fantastic ammunition.

I’m looking into starting to reload for my .223 and 6.5 creedmoor, I like the hornady kit for the bushings for quick die swaps but I hear a lot of good things about RCBS, what do you guys recommend for a newbie? I know i will need to upgrade certain pieces as I go along for more quality and more precision. Any help is appreciated.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Deluxe Kit SKU - 149937 <<< this is the kit I’m interested in.

ATK/RCBS 9287 Explorer Plus......or this one.

Last edited:
Thread hijack lol. As far as those go the quick die swaps is in consequential. A simple lock ring does just as good of it not better job and is cheaper one adaptor per die to boot. That’s if you can spare three seconds to screw it in and out.

If you think you’ll ever be doing this enough (I would say 25 rounds a week) skip the kit. The scales that comes with the kits are a pull your hair out ordeal. But if you must go for a kit get a beam scale. A rock chucker is an affordable option that you will never have to upgrade. Make a new thread or pm some people.

Back to regularly scheduled coax recommendations now ;)

Thread hijack lol. As far as those go the quick die swaps is in consequential. A simple lock ring does just as good of it not better job and is cheaper one adaptor per die to boot. That’s if you can spare three seconds to screw it in and out.

If you think you’ll ever be doing this enough (I would say 25 rounds a week) skip the kit. The scales that comes with the kits are a pull your hair out ordeal. But if you must go for a kit get a beam scale. A rock chucker is an affordable option that you will never have to upgrade. Make a new thread or pm some people.

Back to regularly scheduled coax recommendations now ;)

Thanks for the info. Sorry for the hijack .

Thanks for all the info. I knew I would have a lot of COAX fans. I was wondering if people are getting as concentric ammo with coax as just a standard rcbs single stage. real life imperical evidence.

I started out on a Rock Chucker and loaded 10's of thousands of rounds of high quality precision ammo with virtually no runout. The key is good reloading practices, good dies and you will make good ammo on a RC. I still have my RC, its setup on a seperate bench with the LNL bushing kit for bullet pulling, depriming and I have the CPS Lite bench primer in it as well.

Now, the Co-Ax with its floating die and floating jaws setup is just an improvement. Doesnt require LNL bushings for quick die switching, doesnt require case holders. I use my Co-Ax for precision bolt gun ammo only and the rest is all done on my 650.

I started out on a Rock Chucker and loaded 10's of thousands of rounds of high quality precision ammo with virtually no runout. The key is good reloading practices, good dies and you will make good ammo on a RC. I still have my RC, its setup on a seperate bench with the LNL bushing kit for bullet pulling, depriming and I have the CPS Lite bench primer in it as well.

Now, the Co-Ax with its floating die and floating jaws setup is just an improvement. Doesnt require LNL bushings for quick die switching, doesnt require case holders. I use my Co-Ax for precision bolt gun ammo only and the rest is all done on my 650.

^^^ this.

I load all precision ammo on the CO-AX and use it for pulling bullets.

I load 9mm and .223 on the 650. The 650 makes blasting ammo at a scary rate.

Co-Ax for full length sizing. Arbor press for neck sizing and seating.

Thanks for input. I was originally thinking COAX, but I am going to be loading 338 Lapua and 300 Norma. I read where you can run into issues with the big cases.

I don't know if I will need the difference, but I'm liking the looks of an arbor press as well for seating. Ill be using custom dies anyway

You only run into issues with big cases on the older versions of the co-ax. Newer versions have a longer "handle loop" so it's not an issue for .338 LM.

Loaded tens of 1,000's of match rounds on a RCBS rockchucker. Loaded tens of 1,000's of match rounds on a Dillon 650. (Yes it can be done). Have Wilson/arbor press set up. Have a Corbin. Favorite of all time is the Co-Ax for loading batches of 50-100. If I have to do a batch of 500-1,000 I'll start to consider breaking out the Dillon.

While I have a Co-Ax, I do not think it's the "be-all, end-all" of presses. I do like their method of catching spent primers but other than that, I use a Redding T-7 for the heavy lifting. While not all presses are created equal, there are many that can do the job with quality dies. Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Forster and Dillon are the more common names, but there are some very high end presses out there that are above most budgets, at least for a press.