• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying Remington Bolt Action and Barrel Only

77Bronc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2006
Louisiana
Does anyone know how to go about doing this? I am thinking about the SPS Tactical setup without the Hogue stock.

Thanks,

Re: Buying Remington Bolt Action and Barrel Only

Just like buying any gun, find it or have built, ship to your ffl and transfer it to you. Then finish building from there

Same as a full rifle...buy the barreled action and start there. Stay away from the Hogue stock...it's junk. Look at the McRee, McMillan, or Manners.

I'm interested too... Where can you actually find barrelled actions straight from the factory or custom barrel manufacturer?

I'm guessing if you want a custom barrel, you'll have to buy the action and barrel seperately and then true them up. If you want a custom action instead of a Rem action or another factory action, it'll probably start costing more and more.

occasionally you might find a barreled action combo in the for sale section of the hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 77Bronc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know how to go about doing this? I am thinking about the SPS Tactical setup without the Hogue stock.

Thanks,

77</div></div>

Nope, sure don't. However, if you end up buying one quickly remove the Houge stock, walk over to the trash can, then throw the Houge stock in quickly placing the lid firmly on the trash can. This is the only way to save the barreled action.

And in terms of accuracy, can folks comment on going with a more traditional stock as opposed to a AR-like stock such as a McRee where you just drop in the barreled action and go. Am curious myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notgnimer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 77Bronc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know how to go about doing this? I am thinking about the SPS Tactical setup without the Hogue stock.

Thanks,

77</div></div>

Nope, sure don't. However, if you end up buying one quickly remove the Houge stock, walk over to the trash can, then throw the Houge stock in quickly placing the lid firmly on the trash can. This is the only way to save the barreled action. </div></div>

That's funny, this was my first group straight out of the box with the "trash" hogue stock.

1stAACGroup.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notgnimer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 77Bronc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know how to go about doing this? I am thinking about the SPS Tactical setup without the Hogue stock.

Thanks,

77</div></div>

Nope, sure don't. However, if you end up buying one quickly remove the Houge stock, walk over to the trash can, then throw the Houge stock in quickly placing the lid firmly on the trash can. This is the only way to save the barreled action. </div></div>

That's funny, this was my first group straight out of the box with the "trash" hogue stock.

1stAACGroup.jpg
</div></div>

That's a good group, mine would do that as well, but then I put a XLR on the rifle, it really opened my eyes! That stock is totally the weak point. If you get off the bags and start loading the bipod, the houge stock starts to flex, Your groups open up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notgnimer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 77Bronc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know how to go about doing this? I am thinking about the SPS Tactical setup without the Hogue stock.

Thanks,

77</div></div>

1stAACGroup.jpg
</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">That's a good group, mine would do that as well, but then I put a XLR on the rifle, it really opened my eyes!</span> That stock is totally the weak point. If you get off the bags and start loading the bipod, the houge stock starts to flex, Your groups open up.</div></div>

Well that's good news. I'm 2 weeks or so out on my XLR and I thought it was just the bad shooter giving me shit groupings. Probably still is, but at least I can rule out the equipment once the new stock gets here.
smile.gif

I'd say, just find a used SPS Tactical. All you're really paying for is the action, since the rest of it is really nothing to get excited about. Get it and shoot it. When you have the money to spend, start upgrading.

I don't know why people spend so much time trashing the Hogue stock. It isn't my favorite, but it gets the job done. My SPS did way under MOA with handloads and that was with the Hogue off of a bipod.

The important thing is to get behind a rifle and work up from there, unless you can bank roll and custom rifle from the start.

I found a SPS Tactical on-line for $580...

Looking on Brownells, the action alone is $479.

Thinking of going this direction and sending to Mark at SA Customs for some tweaking and then going into a good stock.

Thanks for the feedback

Why not just pick up a adl tactical/varmint and get the barrel cut down. I've seen them for $450.