• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

buying semi auto tomorrow...which one .223 or .308

llajumpvid

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
I cashed in the discover card points so I have about $800 of free gun from Cabela's. So my options are somewhat limited based on what they have to sell. I want something to plink with but also take down a good sized hog and perhaps whitetail.
My question is would I be better to get a R25 in .308 or a bushmaster predator and in the future buy a 6.5 or 6.8 upper for the larger hog and deer possiblity?

$1150 bushmaster vs. $1390 R25

Take the $340 difference and put it towards a 6.5 or 6.8 upper? Or just go with the R25?

I don't think the ammo cost difference between the 308 and 223 is much of a an issue for the amount I'll be using it. Also I'm a diy type so I kind of like the ability of having something interchangeable parts with, which I don't believe the R25 gives...does it?

If you can't tell I'm leaning toward the bushmaster but want some reassurance I'm not throwing money at something I'll regret. If I did the bush I'd probably get a red dot to keep on the 223 upper and am leaning towards a wotac for the 6.5 or 6.8 upper....which I'm sure will take months for me to figure out which one...so if you have opinions on that I'd appreciate it.
LA

Re: buying semi auto tomorrow...which one .223 or .308

I think you can get a Smith and Wesson M&P from Cabelas? I would go with the 15T model. I personally don't like the R25

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you can get a Smith and Wesson M&P from Cabelas? I would go with the 15T model. I personally don't like the R25 </div></div>

The S&W's they show are only in .223.

I know the S&Ws are chambered in 5.56 they do not have a .308
I was saying to buy that over the bushmaster.

I will look at those when I'm there tomorrow. The 15OR is on sale right now. Would this be a good lower to pair a 6.5 or 6.8 upper with?

Is it around $1000 or less? It would work just fine for the lower, all mil spec parts.

it's $900 same price as the bushmaster O.R.C.

I would get the R-25, especially if you aren't shooting than much. 308 is a lot better than 6.5 or 6.8

Re: buying semi auto tomorrow...which one .223 or

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would get the R-25, especially if you aren't shooting than much. 308 is a lot better than 6.5 or 6.8 </div></div>

I agree 100%. You can always down load a larger cartridge but not the other way. The R25 is made by DPMS and will be just as interchangable as any AR platform.

If you hand load, you can buy some 150 fmj's cheap. The upside to the 308 based platform is much higher than the 223 platform. I have both and like both but, one gun with the option of changing uppers....... gonna have to go with the 308.

I'm partial to 308 chambered AR's. They can be great for the range or in the deer woods, very versitile rifles. They are a little pigish comparitively speaking but if that dosn't bother you they're a hoot. Have fun.

okie

I would go with the 5.56 over the 308 for the reason you mentioned. However I would choose a Colt 6920 M4 over any Bushmaster even though it's $300 more. It's worth waht you pay for it. Next to my SCAR 16S my favorite 5.56.

If you don't have a 5.56/.223 AR then I would lean that way.

Plinking with a .308 gets expensive FAST. I like shooting my AR10, but I train with my M4 quite a bit more (when comparing round counts).

223s are cheaper to shoot. Loading Berger 90s vs. SMK 175s, I save 6 cents a round for the 223. Also the 223, using Berger 90s is flater shooting and bucks the wind better to 1000 yards.

(Based on my White Oak vs. M1A super match), and pricing both bullets at Midway.

If you want to load from the mag, 77 SMKs are up there with the 308 also.

I bought the Bushmaster 15 OCR. They didn't have a 308 other than the R25 and a POF. Didn't want a camo rifle and couldn't afford the POF.
Figure this will work for a starter and the money saved will buy better glass.

Not a bad choice. After your glass and other stuff i'd pick up an upper in 6.5 grendel for the ocassional deer and hog. If you are comfortable taking them with the 223. You wouldn't be the first person to do it...

60 grain VMAX in the lungs and the deer will be DRT or dead within 100 yards. Neck/head shots are DRT (duh).

-dan

Good choice to grab a .223 first, cheaper to plink with and less recoil. I'd love to have a .308 AR, but I wouldn't give up my .223's to have one. Personal preference I guess, I just see the standard AR's to be handier and more versatile.

-matt

i think i would buy the 223 and put the left over money twords a 6.5...or reloading equipment

Look into a 7.62x39 upper. Trigger time is trigger time, and fodder can be had in bulk lots without having to hock the farm. As a fun gun, it's not a terrible choice. Then, of course, the magazines could do double duty for the Grendel.

Greg

If your going to hunt with it mainly an plink on occasion I'd vote for the 308. Especially with the theory of "Better to have an not need than to need an not have."

I would get a 5.56 Rock River Arms Preditor Pursuit if Cabelas offers it.

I've heard good things about the R-25 as far as out of the box shooting. A buddy of mine from MO shot it and was around 1 moa at 100. Oh, and i thought i read somewhere that the R-25 was DPMS-ish parts or something?

If you want to shoot a lot I would go 223 because you can get a box of 20 for around 4 bucks on cheaper then dirt. If you want a multi purpose rifle you can do most anything with .308 would be my choice. I am really considering a AR 10 for my next buy.