• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CA ASSAULT WEAPON REGISTRATION

gpark09

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
My buddies and I decided not to register for CA AW Registration. We decide to go with Maglock Gen2 system with KingPin.

After all the research, we felt that Maglock Gen2 with KingPin option is most effective way to go because it will allow us retain all the features and functionality.

There are other fancy options similar to it but this was only one allowed the rifle to have bolt lock back which is a huge advantage when bolt jam occurs for some reason.

I was curious, for those in CA, what other options did you guys take and reason for it.

Why not just register it and buy another lower to use with the gen2 maglock? Lowers are cheap, might as well have one registerd

Why not just register it and buy another lower to use with the gen2 maglock? Lowers are cheap, might as well have one registerd
I don't want to give them any excuse to come knocking my door. There's a huge chance that they will take it all way without due process and even put me away just to scare us all.
Just look at the poor farmer who just trying to obey the rule and register his rifle and ended up getting himself a huge legal problem.
The state's intention very clear now.

My buddies and I decided not to register for CA AW Registration. We decide to go with Maglock Gen2 system with KingPin.

After all the research, we felt that Maglock Gen2 with KingPin option is most effective way to go because it will allow us retain all the features and functionality.

There are other fancy options similar to it but this was only one allowed the rifle to have bolt lock back which is a huge advantage when bolt jam occurs for some reason.

I was curious, for those in CA, what other options did you guys take and reason for it.

The words “will not comply” mean anything in Commiefornia?

I've gone with a mix. I did the AR Maglock 2 w/Kingpin on a pistol. The rest are getting the featureless treatment. I hate giving up my pistol grip and collapsible stock, but I have a ton of grandfathered 30 round mags and it's nice to be able to use them again. I went featureless with the Sparrow Dynamics grip.

I've gone with a mix. I did the AR Maglock 2 w/Kingpin on a pistol. The rest are getting the featureless treatment. I hate giving up my pistol grip and collapsible stock, but I have a ton of grandfathered 30 round mags and it's nice to be able to use them again. I went featureless with the Sparrow Dynamics grip.

You still cant use your 30 round magazines even if you go featureless. There is a large post about it on calguns.net

I haven't heard many people including my local shops that say the same thing as you. Good luck, hope it doesn't come back to bite you.

That's a matter of opinion. Until a court rules on the recent ban, the injunction holds and the grandfathered magazines are still legal to possess and use in guns that won't be turned into AW's by their usage.
I hate to break it to you but any firearm in the state of California is not allowed to be used with a magazine with the capacity over 10 rounds. Been a law for many many years. Might I suggest going back to the law and save yourself a LEO encounter? Possession (which I believe you are talking about) is still up in the air. See Duncan v. Becerra summary page.
California law also generally prohibits any person from manufacturing, importing into the state, selling, giving, lending, buying, or receiving, any large capacity magazine conversion kit. A “large capacity magazine conversion kit” is defined as a device, or combination of parts from a fully-functioning large capacity magazine, capable of converting an ammunition feeding device into a large capacity magazine

Last edited:
There was a guy got arrested when he made a purchase of 30 rounds magazine and on the way back to CA.

Was he being followed or something? How the heck did cops know?

LEO do have some exemptions from many California State Laws including purchasing handguns not on the Handgun roster. As for the guy that got popped buying out of state and importing. They have a taskforce that is monitoring purchases at gun shows and once they cross the state lines are pulling them over. Mostly this is to curb ammunition purchases from out of state, as it is now required to purchase ammo FTF and perform a background check to purchase. Proposition 63 included the ammo purchase text with the magazine ban text. Luckily, the court held an injunction on the mere possession of the magazines but not use. You can read more about it here: http://michellawyers.com/duncan-v-becerra/. The state of California is still trying to appeal the injunction and restore the original text. We're all waiting to hear the outcome.

I hate to break it to you but any firearm in the state of California is not allowed to be used with a magazine with the capacity over 10 rounds. Been a law for many many years. Might I suggest going back to the law and save yourself a LEO encounter? Possession (which I believe you are talking about) is still up in the air. See Duncan v. Becerra summary page.
California law also generally prohibits any person from manufacturing, importing into the state, selling, giving, lending, buying, or receiving, any large capacity magazine conversion kit. A “large capacity magazine conversion kit” is defined as a device, or combination of parts from a fully-functioning large capacity magazine, capable of converting an ammunition feeding device into a large capacity magazine

Would you like to actually quote the specific law that bans the use of magazines with a larger than 10 round capacity if owned prior to Jan. 1, 2000? It doesn't exist. You cannot make available for transfer, magazines with a larger than 10 round capacity since 2000 but there is no law prohibiting the use of those that you've owned since before that time. I deal with quite a large number of law enforcement officers. I've not had a single one of them try to take any of my larger than 10 round capacity magazines.

This is not America anymore. Tree of liberty is thirsty.
99% of cops will enforce this BS. Why you guys support them is beyond me. The constitution means nothing to them. All about muh pension and muh dental. Of course the tyrants make exceptions to gun laws for the cops, that way they will enforce all these blatant unconstitutional laws.

Reactions: jLorenzo and t.suv
I can't believe that people are complying with this BS. Move, I don't care how much of an inconvenience it is to you and your family, GTFO of that insane commie state. Nothing about California is worth dealing with their insane liberal ideas/laws and the kooks that roam the streets out there. Die on your feet fighting before you live on your knees.

The worst thing about California is that all the morons are abandoning the ship as it sinks and bringing their failed ideology to the rest of the West. 10K people per month move to the Denver metro area and guess where they're coming from. Only a matter of time before I have to buck these idiotic laws. I hope Colorado gun owners aren't too spineless to march on Denver en mass and take out the garbage when the time comes.

It's what you California gun owners should have done a long time ago.

Sadly @Mooncake, you guys started going down the same rabbit hole when y'all allowed hi-cap mag ban. Both Colorado and Texas have felt the effects of fleeing Califonian's in ways that are negatively effecting the politics of those respective states. I'd say the same for Oregon and Washington, but I think they were well on their way to self-destruction long before the recent flight of the masses.

Reactions: jLorenzo
Sadly @Mooncake, you guys started going down the same rabbit hole when y'all allowed hi-cap mag ban. Both Colorado and Texas have felt the effects of fleeing Califonian's in ways that are negatively effecting the politics of those respective states. I'd say the same for Oregon and Washington, but I think they were well on their way to self-destruction long before the recent flight of the masses.

You are correct. That 'law' amounted to a mild inconvenience, but it was evidence of the direction in which the wheels are moving. Our only hope is that when Denver runs out of water, and that day is fast approaching, that the rats will look for greener pastures once more.

You are correct. That 'law' amounted to a mild inconvenience, but it was evidence of the direction in which the wheels are moving. Our only hope is that when Denver runs out of water, and that day is fast approaching, that the rats will look for greener pastures once more.

I had no idea that there was a water shortage in Denver.

Seeing this thread turns my stomach.

Coming from MA I know we are next.

Anti-gunners are the same as a plague of locust. They move into an area, completely destroy and consume everything in their path and then move on without contributing a single good thing.

As I am pretty happy with MagLock Gen2 & KingPin combo, I wanted explorer more options, like CalCatch (Unmodified) & KingPin.

Has anyone have any experience with the CalCatch (unmodified) & KingPin combo???

Left California 14 years ago, now i just watch and hear about the shit show from my true last of the free states ARIZONA, all my family is still there though, i made all my brothers rifles featureless, HERA stock and Strike industries fixed stock and mega fin grip, which i must say feels comfortable

I went Thordson stock with a comp on my lightweight, and am mulling over straight pull single actions for my heavy barrel. Making it single shot doesn't really put me at more of a disadvantage than I already have shooting 223 , I can have the pistol grip and drop my mags with my extended middle finger.

It's only a matter of opinion and one's own preference, but for me, all those fins and weird looking stocks just does not work for me.

Somehow I feel like I am having a dreadful sex with a mutant. arghhhhhhhh

Every day I thank God for all the major population centers, east and west, fewer folks in "fly over" country suits me just fine.

.....is this a serious question......

do you understand the purpose of registration?

.....is this a serious question......

do you understand the purpose of registration?

I'm guessing you mean " registration leads to confiscation " blah blah blah...
How many rifles have been confiscated in the last registration ? When the time comes ( and I'm sure it will ) I can deregister, or move those $45 lowers out of state. I guess I could bury them like some will or hide them in the back of my safe and never use them and pray that someone never sees them. Maybe I can hope that the new fixed mag configurations and featureless rifles will for some reason be left alone ?
I'm not sure when the OP even bought his ar15 lower, it might already be on file if he picked it up in the last couple years.
All I'm saying is its nice to be able to run a couple guns the way you want them instead of living in fear.

I'm guessing you mean " registration leads to confiscation " blah blah blah...
How many rifles have been confiscated in the last registration ? When the time comes ( and I'm sure it will ) I can deregister, or move those $45 lowers out of state. I guess I could bury them like some will or hide them in the back of my safe and never use them and pray that someone never sees them. Maybe I can hope that the new fixed mag configurations and featureless rifles will for some reason be left alone ?
I'm not sure when the OP even bought his ar15 lower, it might already be on file if he picked it up in the last couple years.
All I'm saying is its nice to be able to run a couple guns the way you want them instead of living in fear.
blah blah blah....yes thats exactly what im fucking saying...why else would they do it?

blah blah blah....yes thats exactly what im fucking saying...why else would they do it?

I'm sure lots of reasons- to include prevention of new ar15s, appeasement and unwanted legal battles/ buybacks, money, etc...
Yes I'm sure a list for confiscation as well. Trust me , I understand your point of view.
If confiscation happens its going to be a big problem for everyone regardless of the rifles configuration. If you assume they are going to confiscate your assault rifle its probably safe to assume they are coming for your featureless .
Yes I know you can sheetrock the rifles between your walls so its hidden but if your going to do that might as well go get a 80% and bury it with the other secret squirrel stash.
I'm screwed anyways I have a registered .50bmg but at least I can shoot it unlike others who didn't register

Reactions: rymart
For the reference.... I would like to report that KingPin & Freedom Fighter combo does work flawless.

This option is for those who would like to use mil spec magazine release parts.

I did the easiest thing I sold my house found new job in a gun friendly state. My taxes dropped, I bought a better house on 40 acres and I don’t have to worry about what fuking mags are in my gun...hope that shitbox falls in ocean n takes Oregon n Washington with it...

I did the easiest thing I sold my house found new job in a gun friendly state. My taxes dropped, I bought a better house on 40 acres and I don’t have to worry about what fuking mags are in my gun...hope that shitbox falls in ocean n takes Oregon n Washington with it...

You sir are an example of what those 2A loyalist living in that shithole should do. No job is worth staying in that commie state. There are plenty of flights available every single day to visit loved ones (for those who claim they can't leave due to family).

The more 2A supporters that leave the state just hurt the rest of the US. Ultimately, anti 2A are gonna see the laws in CA and start introducing them in other states. We're already seeing it happen.

The more 2A supporters that leave the state just hurt the rest of the US. Ultimately, anti 2A are gonna see the laws in CA and start introducing them in other states. We're already seeing it happen.

I like your enthusiasm, but there's simply no saving that state in its current condition. There are too many idiots drinking the kool-aid and/or too wrapped up in themselves to care or make a difference. Just look at the lunacy coming from elected government officials in California, unfathomable ideas and suggestions that are somehow coming into law. When you have a tumor you don't let it stick around and try to play nice with it, you cut it off completely and cauterize the immediate surrounding area.

May 31, 2018
California Farmer Charged With 12 Felonies After Trying To Register His Guns

The farmer was charged with 12 felony weapons offenses after trying to comply with a new law.
Bakersfield, CA – A member of a prominent farming family was charged with a dozen weapons-related felonies, after he attempted to comply with California’s state-mandated gun registration laws.
According to court documents, Jeffrey Scott Kirschenmann’s home was raided in April, after he attempted to register an AR-15 using the state of California’s website, KGET reported. Kirschenmann is the CEO of Scott Kirschenmann Farms, Inc., which is one of the chief potato suppliers for Frito Lay.
The businessman was attempting to comply with California’s ever-tightening gun laws, one of which required gun owners to register “assault-style weapons” by the end of June.
He electronically submitted photographs of his AR-15 as part of the registration process, and soon became the focus of a California Department of Justice investigation.
According to court documents, the weapon was “illegally modified,” and served as grounds for the Department of Justice (DoJ) to raid Kirschenmann’s home.
It's not immediately clear what the illegal modification was, but the rifle was presumably not in compliance with the recent bans
Investigators seized two “silencers,” 230 rounds of ammunition, and 12 firearms in the search, KGET reported.
On May 17, the district attorney’s office charged Kirschenmann with a dozen felony weapons-related charges.
He was subsequently released on $150,000 bond.
According to retired Kern County Sheriff’s Office Commander Joe Pilkington, a court-recognized firearms expert, California’s rapidly-changing gun laws have created a significant amount of confusion with regards to what requirements are currently mandated, KGET reported.
"Just in the last few years, there have been lots of changes in gun laws," Commander Pilkington explained. "Making an effort, a good faith effort to comply with these really complicated laws, should count for something."
He suggested that anyone who was struggling to understand the current requirements should meet with a licensed firearms dealer.
"There is this self-registration application on the Department of Justice website, but it may be better to talk to an FFL,” Commander Pilkington said. “Someone who has a license, to talk through whatever these complications are.".

@buffalowinter that guy is an idiot. If you take the time to read the charges and what was found then it makes sense why he was arrested. I'd hotlink over to calguns . net but I'm not sure it's allowed. He was careless and thought he was above the law.

Based on the police report, this is what happened:

1. On April 10, 2018, Sean Provost--Special Agent with the California DOJ's Bureau of Firearms--was told by his supervisor, Special Agent Fred Frausto that on December 7, 2017, Scott submitted an electronic application via CRIS to register an assault pistol and provided multiple photos of the same. It was a fully assembled firearm with a bullet button. On the CRIS form, Scott said he did not build the firearm. Scott said it had an 8 inch barrel and shot a 300 win mag round. (The model of the lower was an SD15-ITG, which appears to be a standard AR-15 lower, so how it shoots a 300 WINMAG is a mystery.)

2. Frausto and Provost then looked at the DROS record for that serial number, which showed the pistol having been purchased in 2013 as a fully assembled and functioning firearm.

3. In November 2017, Scott went to the Bakersfield Get A Gun with the lower only, which was transferred on the DROS form as a "frame only." Get A Gun's owner confirmed to Frausto that the transfer had indeed been of the frame only.

4. The same April day, Special Agent Greg DeLa Cerda and Provost drove to Scott's house and obtained a description for it in order to obtain a search warrant, which included the ability to search any safes and seize the assault pistol, and other assault weapons, large capacity mags associated with assault weapons, and any receipts indicating sales of firearm parts associated with the assault weapons.

5. The following day, Brian McNamara, Kern County Superior Court Judge, issued the search warrant.

6. Six DOJ BOF officers went to conduct the search the residence. They were wearing body cams. They included Provost, Frausto, another Supervisor Isaias Rivera, and 3 other special agents. Scott answered the door and Provost told him that they were there to investigate the Sun Devil AR pistol he had previously attempted to register, and that he wanted to inspect it. Scott said he wouldn't do anything without his attorney present. Scott asked about the specifics of the gun; Provost said it was a Sun Devil lower chambered in 300 Winmag or 300 BO.

7. Scott states that he was recently divorced and that the weapon was purchased by him and his wife mutually and that he did a pawn return on the weapon (whatever that means) and then attempted to register it "after the one year thing" (whatever that means.) Provost asked to enter the residence but was denied. He told him that they had a search warrant and Scott complied. He agreed to help the agents locate the firearms on the premises.

8. Scott was shown the search warrant and explained his wife purchased the firearm prior to their recent divorce. Afterwards, he began registering firearms in his name.

9. He opened a case for the Sun Devil. SAS Frausto advised that in order to render the firearm safe, he had to depress the rear take down of the firearm and separate the lower and upper receivers in order to remove the magazine. Upon doing so, the firearm was rendered safe, but now met the criteria of an·assault weapon in that it had a standard magazine release button that then allowed the user to simply insert a magazine into the magazine well and remove by depressing the release mechanism. At this time, SAS Frausto closed the firearm and returned it into its original configuration, minus the magazine. As such, this firearm now met the criteria of an assault weapon in that it was a semiautomatic pistol that does not have a fixed magazine, but has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip. SAS Frausto advised a that the firearm would be seized pending review by the district attorney's office in order to determine if charges are warranted for this specific firearm.

10. They then found another assault pistol with no bullet button with a 40 round mag. It was a Noveske N4 lower, listed as being chambered in 300 win mag. Is it really possible to chamber 300 win mag in an AR-15 lower? I assume not because of the size of the round, but they listed that for both the Sun Devil lower and Noveske lower. Maybe they mean 300 BO?

11. They then went through and found a number of non-featureless ARs without bullet buttons. They had telescoping stocks, standard mag releases, pistol grips. No mention is made on whether they had the dreaded flash hiders. 8 such ARs were identified. Two of these were commie caliber rifles, with fully and partially loaded 10 and 20 round mags attached. One of these commie ARs had a slidefire stock. Some of the other rifles were chambered in 223/556 with 20, 30, and 60 round mags attached.

12. They then found 10-inch AR pistol. They initially believed it was an SBR and he was in fact booked for an SBR. But Provost later realized that because the stock was made by Shockwave Technology and designed as a pistol stabilizer, this was not an SBR. However, since it had a standard mag release, it was still an assault pistol.

13. Frausto noticed on one of the rifles carbon buildup suggestive of a silencer. Sure enough, they founda a Surefire Socom 762-RC and M4-200, and ATF paperwork for both.

14. They met with Scott, Mirandized him, and asked him if he'd be willing to speak with them. He said he'll listen to their questions. Frausto asked him if he knew they were illegal, and Scott did not respond. Frausto asked him if the desk and chair in the safe room (he had a walk in safe) was where he worked on his firearms, which Scott confirmed, and joked he was "working down the line" to make his rifles compliant. They gave him DOJ property receipts, confiscated the above rifles, and arrested him.

15. They later checked all the firearms against the registration system, and none were RAWs.

16. The 230 rounds of whatever it was was simply the ammo loaded in the mags in the confiscated firearms. Scott had a ton more guns and ammo that they didn't take during this search (whether they took it later, I have no clue.)

17. DOJ recommended manufacturing charges, but the local DA didn't bring them. The standard and high-capacity magazines did not appear to be a concern at all in the police report.

This is what's bothering me. The farmer clearly did some stupid things with all the lowers. Did he think he was above the law? I don't think so. The guy was a total moron. That's all he was.

He got into this trouble when he was trying to register his firearm like one of those a good law abiding citizen would do. Then, his stupidity caught up with him. It's not the jail time he deserves, it's detailed education what he needs.