• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cab Tractors ~60hp

MtnCreek

Moderater
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2012
I hate to buy a new (emissions) tractor, but wanting something with a cab. Main use will be clipping pasture. 8 to 12 speed (not hydrostatic). Deere, Kubota, Massey Ferguson and New Holland are all local to me. Kubota and some Deere are assembled here, not sure about the others. I looked at Kubota M7060 and liked the looks of it.

Anyone that has experience with a similar tractor and has any input, I'd be grateful to hear it.

Thanks.

There is nothing wrong with an HST transmission. I work on tractors at a Kubota dealership and we have very few issues with them. It's the most popular drive system we sell. Most Zero turn mowers are hydrostatic and so are all skid steers. Our RTV's are also hydrostatic and we've seen them pull train cars without failing.

Gears and synchronizers are expensive as well, one gear can cost $1000 by itself. And you still have to split the tractor to replace a clutch.

An M7060 or a Grand L6060 are both good tractors. You won't get into DEF until after 75hp.

Last edited:
Reactions: MtnCreek
There is nothing wrong with an HST transmission. I work on tractors at a Kubota dealership and we have very few issues with them. It's the most popular drive system we sell. Most Zero turn mowers are hydrostatic and so are all skid steers. Our RTV's are also hydrostatic and we've seen them pull train cars without failing.
What do you think about the M60 series? Is there anything mechanically better on the M4 series to make them worth the extra $$$$?

The M4 is still very new and we haven't seen them here yet so I'm not sure why the extra cost. The current M7060 is a very good tractor and so is the L series cab tractor. I've heard the MX series is getting a cab model as well.

I sat in an M4 today that they received this morning. I thought it was nice till I heard North of $45k w/o loader.

Reactions: oneshot86
Another thing about Kubota is they are the world's largest non automotive diesel manufacturer. Bobcat used kubota engines until Doosan bought them. I would also run away from Mahindra, and I think Deere uses Yanmar stuff.

Musta cost a ton. I just spent North of $2k on my Wife's new mobility scooter, and it's not anywhere near that zippy!

Greg

Another thing about Kubota is they are the world's largest non automotive diesel manufacturer. Bobcat used kubota engines until Doosan bought them. I would also run away from Mahindra, and I think Deere uses Yanmar stuff.

Yes, John Deere uses Yanmar. At least thats what my 1025R has.

What do you intend to use the tractor for?
The only hard work will be clipping pasture. I'll probably use it to spray and carry hay. No fertilizing, no tillage.

The reason for wanting a cab is bees. I can take the heat (somewhat), I can take the cutter throwing stuff at me. I can't take the bees.

Reactions: Dewey7271
60 or a little better at pto won’t pull a 12’ cutter in our thick/moisture filled grass. Won’t pull a 10’ well either. Plus I don’t like to run at the rpm max hp is rated at.

Reactions: oneshot86
The engines can't overrev. They are governed and it won't hurt a thing to run them wide open. It actually helps the DPF stay clean and passively regenerate. They are also more efficient at the RPM needed to be at 540 rpm PTO speed.

Rpm to get 540 pto and max hp engine rpm don’t match, right?

What would you run at when pulling a load on pto? Thanks.

540 rpm PTO needs to run at whatever engine rpm it takes to achieve it. I’ve never seen a tach on a tractor that didn’t have it marked. The engine is designed to thrive at that rpm and will likely suffer running under a load at lesser speed.

Hmmm. I think I’m 1900 for 540. Engine is rated at 2200 or 2300. Is pto hp based on 540 or max engine?

I'd guess yes since the rating is for the PTO. Also, it may not be maximum RPM, but I'd venture to guess that torque peaks at that RPM.

i dont know, but thinking and talking, id believe your tractors max pto HP is max RPM from tractor.
now, your implement may not need that HP, so you could back off the HP, RPM and shift into second gear and make speed back up
my experience is a ford 2910 w a 5 and 6 ft brushhog in florida. 40 acres, 30 acres and 11 acres of true manatee county hell

The engine in the M7060 is a 3.3L 4 cylinder turbo engine. Lots of torque, horsepower is only part of the equation.

For example, the L2501 tractor has just over 24hp, the B2650 has around the same hp. The 2501 is more capable because the engine is bigger and is also a bigger tractor.

Weight is a big deal when putting a plow in the ground.

I don't understand how they're rated know. Used to be engine, draw bar and pto. Was always told to go off pto. The way they're rated now does not seem to match to older tractors. I'm not sure what's changed.

i dont know, but thinking and talking, id believe your tractors max pto HP is max RPM from tractor.
now, your implement may not need that HP, so you could back off the HP, RPM and shift into second gear and make speed back up
my experience is a ford 2910 w a 5 and 6 ft brushhog in florida. 40 acres, 30 acres and 11 acres of true manatee county hell
80's blue tractors made in U.K. Before it turned into arabia. :love::love:

I've only been around tractors for 5 years so all I know is engine and PTO hp. If you want more weight over the rear you can add wheel weights or ballast. I've seen people add weight over their disk or plow. I believe the M7060 also has draft control.

Liquid calcium or water / antifreeze in the tires. Envirounfriendly. :)

why, i didnt know that.
but i swear to god i prolly could sell rides to adventurists w that 2910 and brush hog.
do rows for me thru the palm farm, its a blast

Run what ya got and getcha a Bee Keeping Suit for $21.99.

Well, seeing as he's in GA in August it's not an option unless one is ready to die from heat stroke. I'm in AL and face the same thing. And, I completely understand his reasoning. I grew up on a farm and drove a tractor nearly every day each year from April until November, and never had a tractor with a cab. I had a lot of close calls with ground bumblebees and yellow jackets but never a real problem. Then one day I ran into a really big yellow jacket nest and on the next round I was swarmed. I got stung 18 times and was quite lucky it wasn't worse than that. It was the last straw and final motivation for me to get a cab tractor. Like Creek, I could deal with the heat, but the stingers had to go.

I'm on my 3rd Kubota tractor and second with a cab. 1st cab was a L5240. Great tractor. I bought it used and put 900 hours on it with nothing but maintenance. I traded that for a low hour L5460. After about 100 hours no problems with the pollution gear and about 15 to 25 hours between DPF regens. IMO Kubota did miss the mark some in the newest L cabs. The undercarriage has exposed hydraulic lines, there is limited storage in the cab and sightlines out the back could be better. The new engines also seem to need more revs but that is probably the design to keep the DPF hot. I have used my neighbors M7040 cab and that is a much heavier duty tractor than the L series in every way. The hydraulic shuttle was also easy to use. He had an 8 (?) speed tranny and it felt like the spacing was a little too wide. My suggestions: R1 ag tires not R4 industrial; fluid in the tires or wheel weights (Kubota are very light in the rear); get as many rear hydraulic remotes as you can afford when you buy (they are expensive to buy later and a pain to install); 3rd function hydraulics to the front are super if you think you will use a grapple or plow.

Most of the 40 H.P. or less Deere's use Yanmar engines. The bigger Deere's are actually J.D. John Deere will outsource certain things, so you have to do a little research to find out what you are buying, some of the 03 series tractors are made totally in India. I like the older 20, 30 and 40 series Deere's, actually been thinking about an enclosed cab 5065 or 5075 myself. They seem to be real common around here a couple years old, low hours pre-emission.

Musta cost a ton. I just spent North of $2k on my Wife's new mobility scooter, and it's not anywhere near that zippy!

Greg
But she doesnt want to go 107 mph at the mall...or does she?

1565546764654.png