• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caldwell Lead Sled

Re: Caldwell Lead Sled

Personally, I don't think it matters how accurate your rifle is in a fancy device like that. What is much more important is how well <span style="font-weight: bold">you</span> can shoot your rifle from your primary shooting position. I would rather use the the shooting position that I am the most familiar with then some strange device.

I'm not wild about the sleds that try to eliminate recoil. Also, if memory served me right, they do not allow you to hold the rifle as you would without it.

Sounds to me as if the OP is intentionally trying to remove the human factor from the equation.

I interpret his desire to be to determine the inherent repeatability of rifle without influencing the outcome.

Exactly. Im not trying to reduce recoil or anything for that matter. EVERYONE has issues with holding a rifle. Im just trying to find out what my rifle will do and take out the human factor in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds to me as if the OP is intentionally trying to remove the human factor from the equation.

I interpret his desire to be to determine the inherent repeatability of rifle without influencing the outcome. </div></div>

I had the Caldwell Lead Sled Solo, which is compatible with AR-type rifles where the mag hangs down quite a way beneath the lower. Most of the other Lead Sleds have a bar that won't accommodate a 30 round mag. I ended up giving it away because I found I could get better groupings shooting prone with a bipod and rear bag. My take on the Lead Sled is that it can help remove "shooter error" to some extent, but not completely. When using it, you still have to drive the rifle yourself. That is to say you still have to aim and hold; it won't completely take "you" out of the equation. There is enough play in the rifle, even when strapped down tight in the device with a 25 lb bag of lead shot in the tray, that your movement, trigger control, etc., will have a bearing on the POI. IMO, a decent bipod, rear bag, and shooting mat would be a better investment.

They make a good rest. Using a rest when working up loads takes the majority of shooter error out of the groups. Gives you a better example of how the rifle like the ammo.

But ..... I never use them any other time. I think they are ackward and uncomfortable. I prefer just using a bipod or pack for support any other time.