• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Caliber change 308 to 223

shadowsk

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Upstate SC
Hi, I picked up a Rem 700 308 in a trade and it doesn't shoot as well as I like. I already have several 308's and was wanting a custom .223 because I am setup to reload .223. What I was wanting to do is send Longrifles, Inc. a .223 barrel, PTG bolt and let them do their magic. I have an XRay chassis to use so other than an AICS .223 magazine will it be as simple as this? Or am I missing something. Thanks.

These are results from a factory SPS-varmint 223 with my handloads @ 100 yards (5-shots). Added a brake (not really necessary haha), bolt handle, and a timney trigger. Honestly, if you have the X-ray then I am not sure why paying all the extra money to a gunsmith is necessary. But that's just my $.02 of course..just can't see why paying someone an extra umpteen hundred dollars is worth it sometimes.

Sell the 308, add a couple upgrades to a factory SPS, and you'll be shooting just like I am here.

Hi, I picked up a Rem 700 308 in a trade and it doesn't shoot as well as I like. I already have several 308's and was wanting a custom .223 because I am setup to reload .223. What I was wanting to do is send Longrifles, Inc. a .223 barrel, PTG bolt and let them do their magic. I have an XRay chassis to use so other than an AICS .223 magazine will it be as simple as this? Or am I missing something. Thanks.

it will work fine. theres a little difference in feed lips between actions but its a non issue if you are running mags. i have a 308/223 switch barrel i built that shoots wonderful. no issues.