• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber change options for Tikka T3x Long Actions

Blueknight99

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2019
So, I have a Tikka T3x Hunter in 270 Win and I was toying with the idea of replacing the stock pencil barrel with a barrel of a different caliber. As for the barrels I would probably go with a prefit like Proof Research or something like that but advise on that is welcome as well. What I want to know primarily is that , what caliber barrels would fit on the Tikka T3x 270 action without modifications to the action itself? One of the options I am looking at is to switch to a 6.5 Creedmoor. What are some other good options and your favorites.

I believe quite a few of you Snipershide members have changed calibers on a Tikka T3x long action and I am looking for your opinions and experiences on that. Also, please share pictures of your caliber change builds if you can please.

It's an older list, but I've referred to this page a couple times for info:

The 270 bolt face is same size as for a 6.5CM, so you can swap to that. I've been considering changing over a Tikka to a 6BR since it'd just be a paper puncher for me and I don't have any ranges longer than 600 yards. Already have my TAC A1 6.5CM that's worked very well for me up to 1k in the Alaska class this past summer.

It's an older list, but I've referred to this page a couple times for info:

The 270 bolt face is same size as for a 6.5CM, so you can swap to that. I've been considering changing over a Tikka to a 6BR since it'd just be a paper puncher for me and I don't have any ranges longer than 600 yards. Already have my TAC A1 6.5CM that's worked very well for me up to 1k in the Alaska class this past summer.

Thank you very much. The above link helps.

The difference between the tikka actions is just the bolt stop length.
So its not really a "modification" to the action, just a part swap.
1573055429912.png
1573055485066.png

But you dont have to put in a shorter one to make it work or anything, you will just be able to pull the bolt back a bit further than necessary.

As you can see, the 223, short action and long action mags are all the same outside dimensions. Its just how much of a space there is in the back. It shows how much further you could pull the bolt back beyond the end of the next round with the longer bolt stop installed feeding from a shorter cartridge magazine.
1573055605215.png

So really the only issue is trying to swap cartridges that have different bolt face diameters, say a .384" bolt face for 223 to a .473" bolt face. Going from .473" cartridge to .473" cartridge like with a 270 to 6.5 creed will be just fine.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I was wondering if anybody had anything to add. I have a 300wm and thinking about changing calibers. I am concerned about the short oal on Tikka long actions. Any advice?

You're going to need to add a lot more detail (intended purpose, requirements re weight etc, budget) that's probably better suited to a different thread. Or just keep reading other threads.

Yes, Tikkas aren't the best for the big LA magnums if you're handloading longer than SAAMI OALs, but you can get an XL bolt stop from Mountain Tactical and bottom metals to use even larger cartridges and magazines if that's in your budget and you want to use your Tikka.

Reactions: Gwak2006
Thanks for the advice. I am just in the early stages of getting an idea of where I want to go with it. Definitely a hunting set up so would like sub 10lbs or so. I didn't want to get an idea in my head that was unachievable with oal limitations. The BM on the link really opens things up for me. Again, thanks for the help.

The RedSnake Tactical bottom metal will allow you to use a longer AI .300wm (or the MDT/Accurate .30-06) mag and fits the factory inlet. I have one on the way atm, but a buddy has one as is running full-length .280ai loads no prob.

Reactions: Gwak2006