• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Caliber for elk hunt

I gre up hunting with a 30-06. Killed alot of deer and elk with it.
I've killed several elk with a bow the last few years when I was fortunate enough to draw a tag.
Shot placement is key. Be proficient with what you are using. Spend countless of hours and rounds perfecting your comfortable range and efficiency.
If you have a rifle that you hate shooting because of the recoil, get rid of it. Thats the last thing that you need going through your head when you are about to pull the trigger on an animal.
Good luck on your hunt OP.

I gre up hunting with a 30-06. Killed alot of deer and elk with it.
I've killed several elk with a bow the last few years when I was fortunate enough to draw a tag.
Shot placement is key. Be proficient with what you are using. Spend countless of hours and rounds perfecting your comfortable range and efficiency.
If you have a rifle that you hate shooting because of the recoil, get rid of it. Thats the last thing that you need going through your head when you are about to pull the trigger on an animal.
Good luck on your hunt OP.

I agree completely. No matter what round you want to shoot, If you cant shoot it accurately because of recoil anticipation then you should get rid of it or hang it on the wall. I personally like my 338wm but not many of my friends ask to shoot it a second time. The animal will be no "deader" because you used a cannon instead of an arrow. Shot placement, proper load for the game animal, and an ethical approach to the hunt are more important than what caliber.

My son dropped a large cow at 365 yds this november with a 130g ttsx comingout of a 308 at 3170 fps she coughed ran 30 yards stopped and fell

Attachments

• 20201107_153559.jpg
    20201107_153559.jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 66
I’ve killed elk with .30-06, 7mm, and .300WM. I primarily hunt with a win mag these days. I don’t know how many elk all the internet warriors you’re going to encounter have actually killed, but I have been doing this for many years and elk are extremely resilient animals. Shoot the biggest bang stick you will actually practice with and be comfortable carrying for long distances.

Where is your guys’ preferred shot placement on elk?

mostly hunt whitetail in the south and midwest.

running 162 eldx 7 mag and i traditionally shoot in boiler room but have read more about high shoulder anchor shots as well. Just curious what most people go for on elk.

I had this same question and got a million answers just like you got. Best I could figure is shoot whatever you can handle and shoot accurately. Make sure your shooting a quality bullet that will hold its weight but still expand. I still haven't decided on caliber myself but looking at the 7rem mag, 300prc and 300rum.

Reactions: aljones_315
I used a 6 creedmoor this fall shooting 108 Bergers. 1 shot at 275 and she didn’t go 30 yards. Shot placement and bullet selection will beat a magnum any day. I do some guide work and watched a guy put 6 rounds from a .30-378 into a bull before it tipped over. And I’ve seen more elk disappear after being hit with a 30-06 than any other caliber. If you shoot them in the wrong spot or with a bad performing bullet they are tough to kill. I think too many people shoot more gun than they can handle and think that a super magnum makes up for a poor shot. Know your limits and stick to them. I turned down a broadside shot at 350 and a hard quartering to at 100 because I wasn’t 100% certain one shot would do it.

If you want to extend your range then by all means go up in caliber. But shoot it a lot and know it. (Oh and guides love hunters who show up to camp with suppressors)

Reactions: LRRPF52
I never said .30 cal was "magic." I also never said your favorite caliber won't work. You keep trying to justify your choice by comparing a fast, high BC 7mm- with a basic non high BC, not heavy for caliber .30 cal. Shoot whatever you want, no need to get all bent out of shape and try to show me how wrong I am. My 300 WM and 300 WSM are in the 11-12# range including bipod and suppressor. I can spot my own shots, and practice with them out to beyond 1,000 yards regularly. Shoot whatever makes you happy. I've never seen so much emotion about a caliber choice, this is worse than 9mm v. .45 ACP.
Statistically speaking, you are more likely to experience longer travel distance from the shot using .30 bores, compared to 6.5mm and 7mm, at least according to the over 14,000 samples from the Scandinavian Moose Hunting Survey that sampled hunters from Norway, Sweden, and Finland. They average about 200,000 Moose every year between those 3 nations. Sweden sees 100,000 harvests a year on average, Finland about 60,000, and Norway 40,000.

Moose are substantially larger and heavier than elk, so the vital zone solutions for penetration are a lot deeper than even your largest bull Elks here in the Rockies. Our elk don’t have much deeper vital zones than a lot of our more mature mule deer when you look at penetration depth considerations.

iu

iu

About half of the 14,000 samples in the Scandinavian Moose Hunt Survey used some type of .30 caliber/7.62mm, which were a mix of .308, 7.62x53, .30-06, and .300 Win Mag mostly. The next largest samples were 7mm and 6.5mm, lots of 7x57 Mauser, 7x64 Brenneke, 6.5x55 Mauser. The smallest segment of the survey were shooters using .45/.458 bores, who actually had the shortest average travel distances, but this can be attributed to smaller samples and more experienced shooters who tended to use those cartridges. They have caliber and bullet construction mandates there, with energy requirements as well in some places. At least Finland was like that when I got my hunting license and took the moving target hunting test at 75m. They’ve since amended that to a static test for Fudds who complained.

Anyway, average travel distances from the shot on moose were shorter with the 6.5mm and 7mm cartridges, with thousands of samples.

It’s easier to make consistent shot placement with most 6.5mm and 7mm cartridges compared to most .30 bores, especially as recoil and muzzle blast increase. The legacy 6.5x55 Mauser with its lower chamber pressure and muzzle velocity has been killing moose since the late 1800s, accounting for over one million moose there in the last 124 years.

I don’t believe these results are because of a terminal ballistics factor, but are more from “shoot-ability” and optics stability/endurance factors. When I break a shot on a .300 Win Mag, there is no way I can see what happened in the immediate aftermath of the muzzle blast and recoil. Optics take more of a beating as well historically, but we all know quality scopes have come a long way in the endurance/durability aspects.

Heavier rifles are also more difficult to carry and get into position with quickly, then maintain an ethical sight picture with while making the shot. Once you break the shot, you really need someone who is a trained spotter/observer that can assess if the shot was good so you don’t spook the animal with an unnecessary follow-up.

If you’re an occasional shooter who isn’t in a training regimen, buying a larger bore diameter is probably one of the worst routes you can take for these reasons. These are also the most likely hunters to not mount their bases and rings with thread-locker, apply improper torque to the rings, and don’t know how to set up the rifle/optic interface for ideal eye relief, ring height relative to cheek weld, or work the focus. Many are going off of low-paid, misinformed firearms retail sales clerks with zero experience. You can stand right there next to them and tell them, “I’ve been setting up rifles and shooting them for decades, here’s what I recommend.” They will then take the 20-something-year-old clerk’s advice because he has a shirt with the store logo on it.

Does everyone not remember the thread on here with George Gardner and others stacking elk like corkwood with 6.5 SAUM at long range using Berger 130gr Hunting VLDs?

iu

So for a new shooter especially, I strongly recommend avoiding .30 bores with maybe .308 as an exception if you want to train with it regularly, and will use a lightweight suppressor like a TBAC Ultra 5 or 7 to take the muzzle blast away.

A 6.5 Creedmoor/.260 Rem/6.5x47 Lapua with 129-147gr is more than plenty to reliably and consistently anchor elk for sport. If our ancestors had access to any of the bottle-necked high power rifles we have today, they would feel invincible against all the large game they stacked like bricks using low-yield steel actions and black powder. They went genocidal on bison in North America in the 1800s, with long-obsolete firearms by today’s standards. (Although .45-70 probably accounted for the vast majority of the Bison genocide campaign sanctioned by the government.)

iu

For those that are highly-experienced shooters who know how to set-up a rifle, we will get it done no matter what. The questions for us boil down to:

How much rifle weight do I want to carry?
What distances am I shooting at?
Do I want the rifle to be friendly for other members of my family/party?

For me, the only thing that would push me towards something larger than any of the 6.5-08 class of cartridges is long-range hunting. For all our common distances within 400yds here in the Mountain West region, 6.5-08 class will get that done easily all day long. If I am leaning on long-range, it will still be a 6.5+big boiler room or 7mm+ boiler room, not a .30 bore.

No matter what caliber someone chooses, nothing will compensate for a poorly set-up rifle/optic combo and lack of training. Choosing a larger bore with poor optics mounting and no training outside of zeroing will normally result in failure/unethical performance.

Last edited:
Every time I read these threads (and I have read hundreds) I develop a little more angst for the 300 WM.

OP, there are no cartridges which will replace expertise. YOU are responsible for your gear, your hunt, and your abilities. YOU need to know the limitations imposed by circumstances, the gear, and yourself. Success or failure is YOUR outcome.

BTW the majority of these cartridge / caliber discussions get muddled by anecdotal evidence of wonderful or awful performance. The reality is: ALL poor performance is the result of marksmanship or projectile failure, bullet diameter is a near-to-nonissue. Elk, for the record, aren’t majestically tough, like the rest of the deer family, there are accounts of extraordinary individual toughness. But for the most part the track record is what you’d expect for a thin skinned medium frame animal.

I killed one last year with a 300wm, the next day my hunting partner killed one with a 26 nosler.

Theyll all work, shoot what you like and lime what you shoot.

I killed one last year with a 300wm, the next day my hunting partner killed one with a 26 nosler.

Theyll all work, shoot what you like and lime what you shoot.

Every elk hunt I have ever been on last year, 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago same caliber 30-06.

270, any 7mm, any 30, any 338 or bigger will work.

I had a guy kill a cow in front of me with a 375 about 20 years ago. She died.

My father has killed a lot of elk with an old custom 30-40 Krag.

My uncle is a 7mm Remington guy.

100% of the elk is killed by the bullet, anyone that thinks caliber matters that much is blowing smoke up your ass.

Nosler partition, Swift A-Frame or Scirocco, Accubond, Barnes X, and 30 other good bullets will kill an elk.

Worry less about the caliber you will shoot and more about your ability to shoot it well.
And you pack, if you kill an elk you better be prepared to put in work.

Reactions: LRRPF52
Hey guys, I’ve got an elk hunt booked for next year and was wondering what Caliber most folks use for This? I’ve always hunted whitetail and have 0 experience with elk. I’m assuming 300 win mag is a good choice. Just wanted some opinions. Thanks
I’ve killed several with a 130 gr TTSX from a 270, and one last year with a 212 ELD-X from a 300 WM.

I prefer to shoot for the neck as it seems to have instant effects. Haven’t lost one yet hitting them in the neck, and they haven’t ever took a step more.

I’ve killed several with a 130 gr TTSX from a 270, and one last year with a 212 ELD-X from a 300 WM.

I prefer to shoot for the neck as it seems to have instant effects. Haven’t lost one yet hitting them in the neck, and they haven’t ever took a step more.
The neck is a fairly large area, where in the neck are you aiming also how far are your typical shots?

The neck is a fairly large area, where in the neck are you aiming also how far are your typical shots?
On an elk, if the range is 350 or less, I’ll aim usually just below the base of the skull, midline. If I had to quick guess the range and my elevation calculations were off either direction, it’ll hit either the skull, or just lower in the vertebral column. Paid off this year - elk came running in too quick to range (after the fact, it was 400 yards), and aimed for my normal spot. Hit it in the head, lights out. With elk, the width of the neck is wide enough to do this. On deer, I’ll shoot this way at 250 yards or less.

Looked at the 35 Whelen with Barnes 200gr TTSX? It’s an oldie but a goodie. I would limit it at around 400 yards though.