• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber for shoulder injury

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
I had a bad mountain bike crash a couple months ago that resulted in a grade 3 AC separation in my right shoulder. As of right now, I don’t have any heavy recoiling rifles, but I’d like to get one for long range/hunting.

For those of you with similar injuries, what caliber puts you over the pain threshold after a range session? I have full range of motion in my shoulder, but my concern is since the top collar bone doesn’t sit in the shoulder pocket anymore, that a lot of consistent/heavy recoil could really aggravate it.

I know I could get away with a 300wm if I only shot a box of ammo per year no problem. But I’m considering a 6.5prc to give me a little added punch for the heavy 6.5 bullets without going full on magnum caliber. I’d also want to use it for local matches/practice, so my other consideration is 6cm for factory ammo reasons.

Biggest animal I’m most likely to shoot anytime soon is a whitetail deer or black bear.

65 PRC is kinda a recoil monster honestly
I’ve never shot it, so I wasn’t sure. Prior to my injury, I shot 7mm rm, 300wm and 308. I don’t have those calibers anymore just 5.56, so I have no reference for what is manageable at this point.

I've had 1 surgery and another pending on the same shoulder (funny enough from an MTB crash). .308 is fine for me, 6.5 cm and 6 cm same. One other thing to think about as you recover is padded shoulder shirts, like those they sell for under football pads, can give some really nice cushion as you push your boundaries after the 3 month mark.

Hell if you're desperate you can probably strap on your life saving shoulder ice sleeve in a pinch!

6.5x284. Been doing what the 6.5 PRC does for years. Have killed alot of elk with one several a long ways away, Have kids and women shoot it all the time, recoil is not a problem.

Your rifles muzzle brake and weight matters a lot I put weights on my 300 Norma mag AI and it changed drastically

Reactions: DocRDS
Suggest you go & find out where your tolerance is, surely you can use freinds rifles to find out.

Waiting on more shoulder surgery myself, (again damn bicycles)
Collar bone is also a problem

My limit sitting at a bench,
.308 no brake=too much
.308 with brake=OK
6.5cm no brake=OK

limit standing
.308 is ok
box of 12g is manageable
more than a box through a shotgun without a rest in between is uncomfortable for a couple of days.

Spending more time behind a .223 or .22lr for now

I have brittle bone disease so I have to have not much kick. Get a 308 and add weight to the stock. Put on a harris bi pod as they weigh about a pound. Get a 308 with a fatter barrel. Put a soft limbsaver pad on it. Get it up around 12 pounds. Load it with bullets around 125 gr like Nosler BT or a 130 gr Barns. It's fun to see your hits! Be carful with that injury.

Only takes one bad shot and your back in surgery. Recoil is bullet weight and velocity. Nothing magic about the 243 kicking less than a 308 except the bullet weight. Easy to solve with a cheap lee loader in .308

I suppose I could explore a 6.5cm gas gun vs going bolt gun to soak up more recoil. It would be inherently less accurate, but I’m not competing for wins at national or local matches anyway.

I’ve been wanting an AI rifle for a while, but getting one in a non magnum caliber just seemed like a lot to lug around given the lack of punch in comparison.

Maybe a SCAR 20s, LMT MWS or SR25 in 6.5cm is the ticket.

Just from my experience with large frame 308 gas guns is that they recoil harder than my current setup (22”mtu in a KRG). Same goes for 6.5 Creedmoor. A lot of moving mass in a gas gun.

A good brake throws a serious curveball in the selection of a magnum caliber. I had and AC joint separation last year in a MX accident (grade 2 I believe). Was shooting my 30 Nosler not too long after. Maybe 2-3 weeks, but with the muzzle brake it recoils similar to my 308 without a brake. Keep in mind the 30 Nosler I’m shooting weighs 16+ lbs. I can shoot it all day without any issues from recoil.

Lots of factors in your question. I would choose whatever up to about 300 WM equivalence and run a nice brake.

A good brake throws a serious curveball in the selection of a magnum caliber. I had and AC joint separation last year in a MX accident (grade 2 I believe). Was shooting my 30 Nosler not too long after. Maybe 2-3 weeks, but with the muzzle brake it recoils similar to my 308 without a brake. Keep in mind the 30 Nosler I’m shooting weighs 16+ lbs. I can shoot it all day without any issues from recoil.

Lots of factors in your question. I would choose whatever up to about 300 WM equivalence and run a nice brake.
Yeah, I just don’t want to use a brake. I have extra cans that need homes lol

I think the biggest takeaway here is that anything less than 3 wheels is a danger to civil society...

I know your pain bro after a spinal surgery i had to sell all my hard recoiling guns and that sucked.I know shoot the 223AI with 75gr slugs and 22rf.

6.5 Creed seems like the easy button. Effective on animals at decent ranges, light recoiling, great factory ammo options, good barrel life, and won’t leave you out gunned at a local match. Toss the barreled action of your choice into a Foundation Revelation stock…apparently the Foundation stocks soak up recoil extremely well.

6 creed is a pussycat with a brake. 103 eldx works like a champ on deer and bear with a well placed shot

I’ve had both shoulders worked in. Prior I owned a 470 NE and a 458 and lots of 375 H&H.

Now, my big gun is a light 308 (Tikka T3 with SWFA 6x MQ - 7.2 lbs), and my most used hunting rifle is a 243 AI, which is similar to the 6CM in recoil (9.3 lbs with scope).

Adding a lb or two to a rifle goes a long way to tame recoil, as does a properly fitted stock and a top end recoil pad.

Maybe the AI ATX is worth looking at. For target/range purposes I can add weight to chassis and strip it down for hunting. I’ve been wanting an AI for years.

Open bankhart repair and capsular shift in 02. Stay away from magnums, win mags, and most “ultra light styles” and you’ll be ok. I stick to 6.5,308,223,7-08 etc….. I own a 45-70, but have never shot it.

There are a lot of things you can do to mitigate recoil.

Muzzle brake: I shot 100 rounds of 300 win mag in a t-shirt. No issues (and I had frozen shoulder at the time)
Recoil pad: Both on the shoulder and on the rifle. I have a lightweight 300 win mag that kicked like a mule. This really helped lower the pain of repeated impacts.
Weight: No one likes a heavy hunting rifle, but no one says you need an ultralight either.

I bet with a combo of those 6.5 PRC would be no issue.

But if you are doing whitetail deer hunting? Pull out a 6 mil of some sort. .243 Winchester seems to be popular. We overgun the F*** out of our hunting rifles. Low recoil--perfect deer cartridge.

We overgun the F*** out of our hunting rifles. Low recoil--perfect deer cartridge.
This is actually something that really bothers me. There are so many "purists" with verbal diarrhea on the 6.5 options not being any good for hunting. My advice is do look at the Nords using their 6.5 swede and see what they've done.

If your primary game is deer, then just stick to that range and enjoy no getting fucked up by a .30-06 or some other shit that people swear by...

Reactions: Drew M
A 6mm is perfectly suited for taking out whitetail sized game. Hell, you could even go down to a centerfire .22, if it's legal in your state.

I would do a 6 creedmoor and call it a day. Low recoil, many options for rifles and factory ammo (in case you don't reload) and a great round for PRS and whitetail.

My AI AXSA with a 24" Proof Carbon barrel runs about 18lb with a can on it. It's a 6CM and the recoil is very manageable. I came off my Mtn bike and ended up with an A/C sprain a shoulder pocket strain. I was shooting the 6CM 2 weeks later without issues.

Reactions: aslrookie
My AI AXSA with a 24" Proof Carbon barrel runs about 18lb with a can on it. It's a 6CM and the recoil is very manageable. I came off my Mtn bike and ended up with an A/C sprain a shoulder pocket strain. I was shooting the 6CM 2 weeks later without issues.
18lbs with a proof carbon barrel? What optic and suppressor setup do you have?

A 6mm is perfectly suited for taking out whitetail sized game. Hell, you could even go down to a centerfire .22, if it's legal in your state.

I would do a 6 creedmoor and call it a day. Low recoil, many options for rifles and factory ammo (in case you don't reload) and a great round for PRS and whitetail.
223 is legal for deer in my state. I’m leaning towards 6cm as well.

Reactions: kthomas
Yeah, I just don’t want to use a brake. I have extra cans that need homes lol
The can acts as a brake pretty well. Also my Omega’s have brake end caps that help too. The can will dampen the recoil a good bit. Shooting shouldn’t affect the AC joint too bad. I would think in a few weeks you would be good to go. I had my AC joint basically removed (Mumford procedure). It wasn’t bad.

18lbs with a proof carbon barrel? What optic and suppressor setup do you have?
Just weighed it. 17.82lb with the can and no mag.

ATACR 7-35 in a Spuhr, Atlas CAL and TBAC Ultra 7.

And yes I do hunt with it with the 308 barrel (M24 contour at 24"). My hike into my hunting spot can be up to a mile depending on which spot I use on the family property.

could always try a towel , or pillow against your shoulder then you might be able to shoot anything you would just have to try it first .but if your shoulder hurts that much maybe a 22 for a while there is almost no felt recoil with that . best of luck

A nice chassis/stock may help too.
I bought a GRS Bifrost and it just soaks up the recoil.
It is so comfortable to use.
Last weekend I hit the Mad Mile with my Tikka Super Varmint 6.5 Creedmoor.
Admittedly the conditions were perfect, but nicely set rifle is a joy to use.
I've now had a reconstruction on both shoulders, plus the left elbow.
Fucken over it.
All the best for your recovery and rifle adventures.
20210513_153844.jpg
Resized_20201005_133045.jpeg

Reactions: aslrookie
My 338WM 250 gr 2500 fps with Limbsaver recoil pad kicks less than my 30-30 150 gr 2000 fps with no recoil pad.

My 6mmBR 95 gr 2800 fps with slip on Limbsaver has the lowest recoil of any rifle I have used to take big game at long range.

Attachments

• buck antelope 6mmBR Rem700 2016.jpg
    buck antelope 6mmBR Rem700 2016.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 33