• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber question not tryin to start an argument

Since you are thinking about a gas gun and you want a different caliber what about 6 arc?

You "might" get that from a 22 creed... but I highly doubt it. I'd consider 1200 to be the top end. Hell, your 6 creed won't even make 1300rnds most likely.

Ouch, is 22 Creed that rough on barrels?

I have an itch for one but thats rough.

Get a 6BRA son. You just don't have a clue what you're missing out on.

Why 6BRA? Why not a dasher or straight BR?

As someone who knows absolutely nothing about these cartridges what about the 6BRA is so compelling?

Get a 6BRA son. You just don't have a clue what you're missing out on. Call Travis @ TS Customs... and have him build you one on a Lone Peak Fuzion or Impact 737. Forget about the velocity, and enjoy low recoil and groups in the 0's-.2's.

Have him call me when the build is in process and I'll send him two of our 6BR kits for free, for use in your build. If you're having trouble with priming, I'll take $100 off our priming system for you. It's helped a lot of dudes with broken and tortured bodies stay in the game.
The only tool that has had a bigger impact on my reloading than that primer seater is the autotrickler. It's such an awesome piece.

I see two challenges with the request (flatness/recoil). At the price of ammo today, I don't see many people burning through a barrel that has a 1800 round life. If you can afford to fire over $2000 worth of ammo, you can probably afford a new barrel. But the Recoil issue is not best solved by a specific round. It is best solved by having the right muzzle brake for that round. A proper brake makes all the difference in recoil.

As someone who knows absolutely nothing about these cartridges what about the 6BRA is so compelling?
Basically its just proven itself. Nothing wrong with a 6BR or a Dasher. Especially since Alpha OCD Dasher brass is a thing. However, the BRA is just easier to get along with for most people. It will edge out the other two in the precision/accuracy departments, all other things being equal. I'm not really sure as to exactly why, but nice long neck with a 40 degree shoulder seems to provide the powder a nice burn characteristic that is desirable for uniform launch.

Guy I know has been absolutely crushing 600yd IBO benchrest with one. Record and first place finishes the past two years. Travis @ TS Customs placed 4th in the nation last season in NRL with one.

The BRA's just get it done, and have been getting it done for a while.

slightly less powder than a dasher to do close to the same thing, more velocity with slightly more powder than the straight BR, slightly better barrel life than the dasher and slightly less than the straight BR, my buddy and i both just re-barreled(6BRAs)his went 2400 mine 2200. Id also suggest the OP go with a BRA its the prefect in between cartridge and is the closest thing that meets all his requests.

Reactions: beetroot
Just to clarify.

it is the 6.5 ManBun
And the 6mm Skinny Jean.

I think that is correct.

Screenshot_20210430-135919_Chrome.jpg

I don't have an image for the 6mm SJ. Sorry...

Basically its just proven itself. Nothing wrong with a 6BR or a Dasher. Especially since Alpha OCD Dasher brass is a thing. However, the BRA is just easier to get along with for most people. It will edge out the other two in the precision/accuracy departments, all other things being equal. I'm not really sure as to exactly why, but nice long neck with a 40 degree shoulder seems to provide the powder a nice burn characteristic that is desirable for uniform launch.

Guy I know has been absolutely crushing 600yd IBO benchrest with one. Record and first place finishes the past two years. Travis @ TS Customs placed 4th in the nation last season in NRL with one.

The BRA's just get it done, and have been getting it done for a while.
Is Varget still the go to powder for the BRA?
I guess BRA also has advantage of Lapua brass after FFing.

Is Varget still the go to powder for the BRA?
I guess BRA also has advantage of Lapua brass after FFing.
ive been running varget but after seeing @orkan running 4350 i gave it a try and with a .145 freebore and 109s i was getting 2850ish. im already running varget in my current barrel but when this one goes i will be switching to 4350.

only way to get "something for nothing" is same weight AND better BC....that equals mono/solids

have to start thinking outside the box for outside the box requirements

OP says he "wants variety" and then wants to pick a cartridge that is literally the closest thing in existence to what he already has. lol

Good luck OP. Have fun.
My gunsmith is giving me a barrel he had chambered in 6xc with only 50 rounds through it so that's a big plus

Reactions: spife7980
The doctors at the mayo clinic told me that all my major joints are 1/8th developed and they found that out when they did my 3 knee surgeries and shoulder surgery then they did genetic testing and figured out that my chromosomal deletion was rare then they did more research and found out I am 1 of 250 ever recorded and of that I am 1 to 3 percent of thoes cases
Kudos to you and your tenacity. Kudos to the Hide community for their support. Pretty cool.................

Get a 6BRA son. You just don't have a clue what you're missing out on. Call Travis @ TS Customs... and have him build you one on a Lone Peak Fuzion or Impact 737. Forget about the velocity, and enjoy low recoil and groups in the 0's-.2's.

goat.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: LR1845
Okay so I have a 223ai and 6 creed I am looking for something that's flatter shooting out to 600 and 1000 than a 6 creed and still have good barrel life but still not a magnum or have a ton of recoil because I only have 1/8th of a shoulder socket so I am recoil sensitive
For 1000 yards and good barrel life and not much kick, I would recommend a .260 Remington with a heavy barrel and a good custom stock. (It’s what I shoot)

Reactions: lash
No its not a troll post and the reason I don't want a magnum is because of some of the homegrown matches I shoot won't allow magnum
The 6.5 PRC is not a magnum.
I don't think the recoil is bad, but mine is on the heavy side.

Reactions: Combat photog
Okay so I have a 223ai and 6 creed I am looking for something that's flatter shooting out to 600 and 1000 than a 6 creed and still have good barrel life but still not a magnum or have a ton of recoil because I only have 1/8th of a shoulder socket so I am recoil sensitive
224 Valkyrie stays supersonic approaching 1300yds with negligible recoil.

This some kind of joke? 22-250AI is smaller capacity than 22 creed... and a 22 creed is not safe AT ALL with an 80gr at 3600, much less 3800+. If you're talking lightweight bullet, then I don't even want to talk about it... because your wind drift will be a bigger number than your elevation at any distance past 300yds. Then there's the fact that a 22 creed will push a 50gr to 4000 with relative ease if that's your thing. A bone stock 22-250 can hit 3800.

Then there's the fact that 22 creedmoor Alpha OCD brass is a thing... and even if it wasn't, the 22 creed has put the 22-250 and its AI version in the dust bin of history nearly a decade ago.

Suffice it to say, I've played with nearly all of the 22cal wildcats at one point or another. The 22 creed is king for a reason.
I beg to differ on the 22 creed is king , the 22/6mm AI is a much better round. 90 grain Berger VLD at 3600 FPS that’s smoking, don’t wanna hear about barrel life, barrels are like brass gotta replace them at one point or another

22GT with 85.5/90 grain bergers, 95 grain SMK’s or 90 grainA-tips. Run em 3100-3200fps. Under 6mils to get to 1000 and better barrel life and less recoil then the 6 creed

Just bought a bergara ridgeback 6.5 prc. Sold my 300 am custom. Easy to stay on target, less kick and flatter shooting or... Build a custom 6.5 prc with a bull barrel and heavier. You wont be disappointed.

Everyone is always searching for a unicorn. Laser accuracy, infinite barrel life, no recoil, and as cheap as a 22lr.

Reactions: lash
For 1000 yards and good barrel life and not much kick, I would recommend a .260 Remington with a heavy barrel and a good custom stock. (It’s what I shoot)
Lolol! Hey, old timer! I’m with ya there.

F8BF2948-731A-49C9-9E80-91CB29E41389.jpeg

3000-4000 barrel life every time with good consistent medium loads. But for the OPs needs, I’m totally on board with 6BR/6BRA. And yes, I’m aware that he’s made a decision based on easy cost and availability. I’m not sure I would have done different in his position.

I'm not as versed as most here........

But I'd be thinking a Daniel Defense Delta 5 in 6.5 Creedmoor, the Varmint one.

The plasma rifle in the 40 watt range is great out to 1000yds little recoil and barrel never wears out. Its the plutonium power pack that is good for 850 shots that is hell to replace. Did i mention its a lazer.

The plasma rifle in the 40 watt range is great out to 1000yds little recoil and barrel never wears out. Its the plutonium power pack that is good for 850 shots that is hell to replace. Did i mention its a lazer.
And you don't have to worry about a DOPE card.......Unless you are shooting over a black hole.

Have him call me when the build is in process and I'll send him two of our 6BR kits for free, for use in your build. If you're having trouble with priming, I'll take $100 off our priming system for you. It's helped a lot of dudes with broken and tortured bodies stay in the game.
Tip of the hat to Orkan here, solid gesture. Best BR mag kits on the block..

where do yall stand on the 25 creed with the blackjacks or new 135 Berger’s compared to the 6 creed with the 105-109s?

Reactions: orkan
where do yall stand on the 25 creed with the blackjacks or new 135 Berger’s compared to the 6 creed with the 105-109s?

I'm glad there are options for folks that want them. I shoot .17's, 20's, 22's, 24's, 26's, 28's, 30's, 33's, and the occasional 37. I have no desire for anything in between any of that. They'll milk the 25 product cycle for a minute, then they'll put out a 6mm and a 6.5mm that will render it pointless. There's just not enough market there for the .25's and .27's for them to keep focused on it.

The reality that an 80gr Berger VLD in a 22 creed hits with about 300ft/lbs more energy at 600yds than a 6.5 creed with a 140... makes the argument for the rest of the calibers seem pretty weak. Due to the velocity and bullet characteristics, the 22cal is much more likely to transfer all of that energy as well.

Reactions: Rich4
Never has been for me, not for heavies anyway. H4350 is superior.

Alpha OCD 6BRA brass is worth a look.

what's considered a heavy in 6BRA, 109 or the 112/115s? I have lots of h4350 and been looking at the BRA for my next barrel.

Then there is the 6 Gay Tiger. I'm breaking in the barrel on one now. Had rotator cuff surgery 7 weeks ago. With a 26" Rem Varmint taper there is no recoil on this rifle. Rem 700 SS action, Bell & Carlson Varmint/ target stock. NF 5.5X22-50 scope.

I am no pro like some of these guys on this forum but a good .308 rifle(model 700) with a nice long barrel will do everything you are asking with low recoil without a brake and i cant even imagine how low the recoil would be with a brake. Very flat trajectory. Cheap practice ammo due to it being a NATO round if your into that. I use it deer hunting with 168 grain Hornady SST and the exit wound is as big as a baseball at least. Def a great round. Google the ballistics