• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber switch for TRG-42 from .338LM to .308Win?

AMD68

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2008
South America
I have a TRG-42 and would like to know if it is possible to switch caliber to .308win by replacing the barrel, bolt, and mag. What else would be needed, and has anyone here done it? Thanks!!!

Re: Caliber switch for TRG-42 from .338LM to .308Win?

Trying to do the samething with my AIAWs,but no go. The only system that I am ware of that has such capability is DTA arms.

Re: Caliber switch for TRG-42 from .338LM to .308W

Thanks DHK!

I don´t necessarily mean switch barrels in an instant, such as with the DTA or Blaser 93.

No. This rifle is not designed for multi-caliber capability. Just get the TRG-22, and have a great pair of purpose-built rifles! They can share a number of the very well made (but expensive) accessories...

Yeah the more Sako's the better
smile.gif
I just got my first - a tan TRG-22.... have to resist the urge to buy the bigger brother (TRG-42 338 Lapua)

You can switch the AWSM between 338lm and 300 WM, but not 308.

Can the TRG line be changed out like the AIs? Can a you take a TRG22 and change out to say a .243 and switch back and forth?

Hi Bacarrat

The TRG42 in 338 Lapua magnum is a very long action with an oversized boltface to accommodate the 338 LM cartridge. You will not find a clean bolt swap that will enable you to fire and extract a 308 diameter cartridge.

I faced very much the same issues as you did in that I wanted to convert a TRG42 in 338LM to a 6.5x284 for hunting and tactical shooting. Getting another rifle (like a trg42 in 300winmag) was not an option for me. In the end I had to get a gunsmith to work on the boltface in order to get it to extract a 6.5x284 cartridge. This involved silver soldering a ring into the existing boltface, as well as milling away part of the channel that holds the extractor to enable it to extract a case of smaller diameter. On top of that I had to modify the magazine holder to properly feed the shorter 6.5x284 cartridge - I had to narrow the lips that grip the cartridge body and I inserted a piece of cardboard into the front of the magazine to ensure a straight up feed of the rounds.

Bottom line - I agree with the comments earlier in the thread that it is probably going to be easier to get a trg22 if you want a 308 and getting the additional rifle is a possibility. The alternative requires a fair amount of modification, and this would reduce the second hand value of the existing trg42 rifle.

Cheers
Jaco

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JvT_404</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Bacarrat

The TRG42 in 338 Lapua magnum is a very long action with an oversized boltface to accommodate the 338 LM cartridge. You will not find a clean bolt swap that will enable you to fire and extract a 308 diameter cartridge.

I faced very much the same issues as you did in that I wanted to convert a TRG42 in 338LM to a 6.5x284 for hunting and tactical shooting. Getting another rifle (like a trg42 in 300winmag) was not an option for me. In the end I had to get a gunsmith to work on the boltface in order to get it to extract a 6.5x284 cartridge. This involved silver soldering a ring into the existing boltface, as well as milling away part of the channel that holds the extractor to enable it to extract a case of smaller diameter. On top of that I had to modify the magazine holder to properly feed the shorter 6.5x284 cartridge - I had to narrow the lips that grip the cartridge body and I inserted a piece of cardboard into the front of the magazine to ensure a straight up feed of the rounds.

Bottom line - I agree with the comments earlier in the thread that it is probably going to be easier to get a trg22 if you want a 308 and getting the additional rifle is a possibility. The alternative requires a fair amount of modification, and this would reduce the second hand value of the existing trg42 rifle.

Cheers
Jaco </div></div>

I think you need to reread my post.

I bought a .473" bolt body for my TRG-42 back in January. The bolt for the TRG-s fits the 42 perfectly. You need an ejector, extractor, bolt handle and you can swap your firing pin assy in 5 seconds. Definitely need a new extractor even if you used all your other bolt parts.

Since you asked about doing a barrel swap on a .338 Lapua, you will need a .300win magazine. That mag would need a bit of work on the lips to reliably hold the .473" body of a .308win.

I have tested my mags with 6.5 Swedish ctgs. Seems to work fine. That case is about .480" in diameter.

Unless you just have to use the .308win, I would look at using a necked up .284win case as it measures .500" and gives you .30-06 velocities. You got Lapua brass in the 6.5/284 for necking up if you are a precisioneer, and you can throat your barrel for long bullets so you don't have to seat them below the shoulder.

I have heard some horror stories about removing Sako barrels. I've removed the barrels on 3 of my 995s and a Vixen. A Brownells action wrench has never failed me. None of my barrels were ever harmed.

The TRG-42 is The Finest Switchbarrel platform going. No other company offers bolt bodies of perfect interchangeable dimension for .473, .533, and .590 boltface ctgs.

If I understand correctly:
You need:
1) new barrel (in the original case .308)
2) new bolt for .308 (preferably complete)
3) modified .300 magazine

Are all the above available from Sako/Beretta?
Would I need a gunsmith to change/fit properly?

Thanks!!!

You can switch calibers. But from a 338 LM to a 308 Win would be hard. The issues to over come would be the bolt and magazine. You will still need a 308 bolt face with the bolt being a magnum long action bolt length. Then you'd need to alter the mag to feed for a 308 Win. I would go ahead and make it a 300WM instead of a 308 Win.

But yes, you can change calibers on a TRG with a barrel vise, like you would on a Rem 700 switch barrel.

With the new components available for the TRG M10, can I modify my TRG 42 to shoot 6.5 CM? What all would this entail?

Hey mate, bit of an old post but;
Not certain on what to do about a magazine (perhaps a 300WM magazine with adjusted lips and a spacer in the rear like the 6BR mod for AICS mags).
As for the bolt, the Sako TRG-S (M995) was chambered in 30-06 I believe. You can buy a bolt body for it and use it in your TRG42.
Here’s a link, but it’s not in stock. Find one in stock somewhere and figure out a mag and you’re good to go (easier said then done).

Reactions: Bravo6
Hey mate, bit of an old post but;
Not certain on what to do about a magazine (perhaps a 300WM magazine with adjusted lips and a spacer in the rear like the 6BR mod for AICS mags).
As for the bolt, the Sako TRG-S (M995) was chambered in 30-06 I believe. You can buy a bolt body for it and use it in your TRG42.
Here’s a link, but it’s not in stock. Find one in stock somewhere and figure out a mag and you’re good to go (easier said then done).
Really appreciate your help with this! I think I'll shoot it for a bit and then sell it or trade for a TRG-22. Thanks so much for your advice!