• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber/Velocity question on steel

Cascade Precision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
Klamath Falls, OR
Held our first precicion/tactical match yesterday. Fun was had by all!

I checked ammo to make sure no one was shooting steel core and figured we had our steel protected. Not so much.

On tear down, I noted that our 200 and 300 yards steel had holes punched clear through, and 400 yards steel had divots that dented the back of the steel. The steel is AR500, and thought that would cover our needs.

I see a lot of matches have caliber restriction (we had no magnums and no larger than 308), but discovered we had a few 243 with INSANE velocity on 55 grain pills, and a 270AI. Most shot 308, and most of that was factory ammo.

I see another restriction is velocity. Most have velocity of no more than 3000 (maybe it was 3200 for 223).

What are the recommendations for steel shooting to protect my steel???

Thanks!

Re: Caliber/Velocity question on steel

Other than that, we had a great turn out on short notice. 16 total shooters, 2 were women. That was a great addition. I always love seeing women come out and shoot, even more when conversation leads to, "I want an AR for long range." Love my wife!

Match was a low round count from my perspective (20 rounds max), but for the short and cold day, was about perfect.

Yeah, my wife ALMOST beat me. 5 points was not much.

Wow, holes in AR500 at 200 and 300-yards is crazy. The only damage I've seen is at 100-yards or less with 223. Small divets when using 55-gr soft points, and small chips with 62-gr steel core. Other then that, our steel has held up to quite a bit of rounds. 300WM, 338LM, 50BMG, etc.

We don't allow fast movers such as 204 Ruger or 22-250 because the damage that could occur, so I imagine the 243 with 55-gr bullets would do the same.

Also, many matches restrict shooters to 300WM or below. All the shooting I've done, it's the speed and not the larger calibers that kill quality steel like AR500. Now that's a different case with, AR400 and softer steel where the larger calibers will cause dents and divets.

Just to play it safe, if I were you, I would restrict steel core and anything over 3150-fps.

My money says you didnt actually get AR-500 steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My money says you didnt actually get AR-500 steel. </div></div>
I am with this! I have hit a a 3/8" AR 500 plate with a 178gr Amax going 3050fps out of a 300 WSM, at 100 yards and barely scuffed it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My money says you didnt actually get AR-500 steel. </div></div>

This.

Speed is a steel killer.

Speed plus high sectional density is worse.

Normally AR500 will handle any bullet below ~3200 at 100 yards.

Speed is what hurts AR500 Steel Targets

At 200 and 300 yards, Premium AR500 Steel Targets probably will not have holes punched through them with 308 and smaller guns.

The 243 with th 55 grain bullets MAYBE, but even then, I would think it would just make a divot or crate. I highly doubt it will punch all the way through.

TO protect your steel, you should limit the velocity to around 3100 FPS. And keep you steel at 250 and out. If you do that, your steel will last an awefully long time. Assuming it is AR500.

Good Luck, sounds like you guys had a blast!!

I have punched some 3/8" AR500 plate at 100 with a 243, but it was with a 105g going 3300 f/s. It was a nice clean hole and produced no dent. If you are getting dented targets at 400, I'm betting you don't actually have AR500 steel.

A 58g Vmax at 3600 f/s could maybe punch through at 100, but not even close at 200 as its only going around 2800 by the time it gets there (only about 40 f/s faster than a 107 starting a 3100).

You should call jcvibby and replace your steel with the real deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GreatGonzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You should call jcvibby and replace your steel with the real deal.

</div></div>

Yep.
My buddies and I have shot the crap out of JC's steel with calibers up to a 7 WSM and a couple of 300 WM's, without so much as a scratch.

It's harder than woodpecker lips.

^^^This!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My money says you didnt actually get AR-500 steel. </div></div>

^^^This! </div></div>

+1^^

+1

I hope you did not pay for ar500, your targets sound like regular mild steel.

.223 at 3000fps will slightly move my plate at 400 yards...no way will it punch a hole.

I have a ar500 target from bigdog steel that has around 4000 rounds on it and around 1000 rounds of green tip 5.56 shot at 100 yards and it has some small dimples and that's it. It is hanging and 1/2"

Who made your targets?

Yep, it was determined that it was all AR-400. Going to be ordering some AR-500 plate from reputable dealer here on the hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, it was determined that it was all AR-400. Going to be ordering some AR-500 plate from reputable dealer here on the hide.</div></div>

can you give us a heads up on which non-reputable dealer we should avoid for conning you on the steel?