• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Caliber ?

davis21b

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2012
Would a 270 or a 270 wsm be a good caliber for long range shooting? Shooting from 300 yd to 1,000 or better if possible.I'm just starting in the long range shooting. Would it be better to go with 308,300wm,270, or 270wsm? Sorry I know people have probably asked alot about caliper selection but any help would be very apprieciated. I still have awhile before I will be home to get started but, I have really been trying to do alot of research on what would be my best options. Thank you.

Re: Caliber ?

Also have a look at the .260 Rem. Many are using it with great success to 1k and beyond.

.260 would offer better bullet selection with higher ballistic coef. and less recoil. I hunted for years with a .270 but after researching I'm having a .260 built for a long range rifle for dual duty hunting and tactical shooting out to 1000+.

The problem with .270 caliber is bullet selection. When contrasted against other calibers .270 is lacking. I'm not saying that it can't get the job done or that the case designs are lacking rather the entire problem is bullets.

I have a couple REALLY long range rigs and am now putting a list together for a .260 remmy. Cheaper on the wallet (ammo) and 6.5's are just the way to go for the light stuff. jmo though.

For some odd reason, the .277" bullets have gotten the short end of the stick. For our game, you're much better off stepping slightly up to .284 (7mm), or slightly down to .264" (6.5mm).

The 30-06/270 case is otherwise great, though I chose it's competitor, the 284 Winchester.

Oh, another thought:

If you're in the position of wondering what caliber you want/need, you NEED a 308. No other caliber provides the useability, ammo availability and intrinsic accuracy that 308 does - or the exceptional barrel life.

You'll know what caliber you want/need, when you're ready for it.

I agree with bowstryder. I think a lot of us tend to go for the big guns starting out thinking we need it for 500-1000 yard shots. In my experience, the 260 makes practice between 500- 1000 more fun and productive.

The 308 might be cheaper to run if you are planning on only buying ammo.

If you plan on hunting out to the longer ranges and plan on reloading, the 7wsm is a great choice IMO. Wife shoots one and I sure wouldn't want to be a critter she is after at any range.

.277 and .257 have ballistically the worst bullets out there.

If you want to learn the game, go 308.

If you want a flat out performer with little recoil, go 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 rem.

If you want the ability to hunt anything in the US, go extreme long range(2000 yards), beat the wind, but suffer barrel life go 7mm short mag of some kind.

For bullet selection:

Go 175grain for a 308.

140's for 6.5.

180 or 162 for 7mm.

Just my two cents.

Agree with above, if reloading get a 6.5mm caliber (I went 260 Rem) and if not a 308.

The 260 is just really pleasant to shoot, easy to load, good brass (Lapua), and is easy to shoot well. Everybody that has shot my 260 TRG has fallen in love with it! The 308 has a little more recoil, drop, and wind drift but a lot of versatility, especially if buying factory ammo. Don't sweat the caliber selection too much though, get something and get shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.277 and .257 have ballistically the worst bullets out there.

If you want to learn the game, go 308.

If you want a flat out performer with little recoil, go 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 rem.

If you want the ability to hunt anything in the US, go extreme long range(2000 yards), beat the wind, but suffer barrel life go 7mm short mag of some kind.

For bullet selection:

Go 175grain for a 308.

140's for 6.5.

180 or 162 for 7mm.

Just my two cents. </div></div>

I concur. Excellent advice.

I don't know what you are looking to spend on a rifle, but the DTA SRS rifle will allow you to shoot .243, .308, .260, 6.5X47, 6.5 Creedmore all with the same bolt and magazine, all you need are barrels for the different calibers. It also allows you to move up to 7 WSM and .300 WM when you want to shoot a little further. It also allows the .338 Lapua Mag if you really want to reach out there and touch something.

The 6.5 calibers (.260, 6.5X47, 6.5 Creedmore) are great to shoot and low on recoil. I went with the .260 for most of my precision shooting.

You all have really got me thinking and really considering the 6.5 creedmore round. I think that would be a good dual purpose round for me. I dont really plan on hunting past 500 yds. Do you think the 6.5 creedmore is capable of killing whitetail deer at that range? I feel it would but would like yall's opinion as well. I was thinking about going with a Tikka t3 lite but I can't find one in that caliber. I found a Savage though and I am a fan of Savage check it out see what you think. Will a 24" barrel be long enough?

http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LONGRANGEHUNTER

The Fins and Sweds have been using 6.5 calibers to kill moose. I think you will be fine.

Also, I have nothing against Savage, but in the long run you will be better off buying a Remington. Get a 308, put 20 moa EGW pic base, Burris tactical rings, and any tactical scope with a 30mm tube. Shoot the hell out of it. As money allows, replace the trigger, stock, and last have a smith re barrel to 6.5 Creedmoor. That is the cheapest way to progressively move into a custom rifle.

Now, to all the folks that I just pissed off saying to buy a Rem over a Savage......it is what it is. The Remington 700 is the small block Chevy 350 of the rifle world. Everyone makes parts for them. If you go Savage, and keep progressing in your shooting, you will eventually end up switching to a Rem 700, or one of its clones like a Stiller. Then, all the good parts you put on your Savage are worthless to you.

Enjoy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davis21b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You all have really got me thinking and really considering the 6.5 creedmore round. I think that would be a good dual purpose round for me. I dont really plan on hunting past 500 yds. Do you think the 6.5 creedmore is capable of killing whitetail deer at that range? I feel it would but would like yall's opinion as well. I was thinking about going with a Tikka t3 lite but I can't find one in that caliber. I found a Savage though and I am a fan of Savage check it out see what you think. Will a 24" barrel be long enough?

http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LONGRANGEHUNTER</div></div>

As Fireguy Ty pointed out, the Swedes have been using 6.5 cal to kill moose, but IMO, 7mm will be a little better. There are some heavier offerings that will provide better knockdown power. The .284 WIN is a good choice... barrel life should be similar to a .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmore. You can use a short action, but that is limiting. Probably best to go with a long action.

http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

Another vote for a .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor (not Creedmore, should you want to do a search...) if you want an easy gun to shoot long distances and not cost a lot for powder/barrels.

John