• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Calling All Nerds: HackRF

Desert_Racer

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2011
USA
Explain to me what the HackRF is and what I can do with it like I’m a retard (newsflash: I am).

I understand it can analyze signals on the RF spectrum and replicate them for various purposes, but that’s the extent of my understanding. Seems like it could be something fun to mess around with.

Explain to me what the HackRF is and what I can do with it like I’m a retard (newsflash: I am).

I understand it can analyze signals on the RF spectrum and replicate them for various purposes, but that’s the extent of my understanding. Seems like it could be something fun to mess around with.
It is a piece of RF test equipment that uses a very wideband software-defined radio that is programmed using OpenSource SW. As such, it can be used for a variety of legitimate and nefarious uses (Hacking). Hacker sites have a variety of pre-written SW that can configure the receiver to display signals from other wireless devices or configure the transmitter to mimic other wireless devices.

The radio has no FCC certifications so using it to transmit probably violates a variety of FCC rules and regulations which will cause the user some serious legal problems if caught.

Last edited:
It's a simple radio receiver/transmitter that is controlled by readily available free software. If you put it or buy it in a Portapack, you don't need an external computer to run it. A popular firmware for the Portapack is called Mayhem, and it can easily do all kinds of illegal things. It can get and remember/retransmit key fob codes (if you want to open a car, you have to get the victim to press the key fob when it's away from the car and then get to the car before he does), it can fool a GPS to think it's wherever you want it to be, you can spoof a ADSB signal to make a phantom plane appear in that system, and a whole bunch of other things that can get you in trouble.

As a software defined radio, it is not particularly good. With an antenna and any computer, you can listen to any frequency between 1 MHz and 6 GHz, and can also transmit with the right software.

You could open all the garage doors in your neighborhood and make your neighbors think they're crazy.....

It's one of those tools that's powerful, and could be fun, but also legally ambiguous.

You could open all the garage doors in your neighborhood and make your neighbors think they're crazy.....

It's one of those tools that's powerful, and could be fun, but also legally ambiguous.
Which means it’s in common use by the alphabet folks to make their OPs function smoothly and/or to make gullible people lose trust in their own faculties.

Not really much going on in the RF spectrum...
radio frquency usage US.jpg

I didn't want to chime in here because this thread seems like bait.

In the interest of being a good fellow however, I gotta say that it's not ambiguous at all. Owning this in some circumstances is legal. Using this is illegal.

To transmit on any frequency other than those accepted for use in walkies and HAM (on their assigned frequencies) requires a license from the FCC.

Would you get caught? Who knows... unless you know... You're discussing it on the Internet

I didn't want to chime in here because this thread seems like bait.

In the interest of being a good fellow however, I gotta say that it's not ambiguous at all. Owning this in some circumstances is legal. Using this is illegal.

To transmit on any frequency other than those accepted for use in walkies and HAM (on their assigned frequencies) requires a license from the FCC.

Would you get caught? Who knows... unless you know... You're discussing it on the Internet

While generally cool, HAM world has no shortage of Karens who live to DF unlicensed operators and tattle on them. Someone would probably get away with it if they kept their misdemeanoring to a minimum. Abuse it, and you will be discovered.

KZ3BPG

While generally cool, HAM world has no shortage of Karens who live to DF unlicensed operators and tattle on them. Someone would probably get away with it if they kept their misdemeanoring to a minimum. Abuse it, and you will be discovered.

KZ3BPG
Lol and discussing it here puts a big "Hey look at me" spotlight on you

Reactions: TheHorta
For one, you don't have to necessarily transmit with those devices, and you can attach a cable with an analyzer at the other end and not an antenna. Some people may be tempted to say 'if you have it, you are using it for nefarious purposes' but it's like saying if you own a barret M82 it's because you are using it to destroy things.

KZ3BPG

That's exactly why ham is disappearing. I don't know anyone under 60 who uses it, because they're such Karen's about getting the license before you even start to learn.

Have to get engaged and get interest before you are willing to get a license.

That's exactly why ham is disappearing. I don't know anyone under 60 who uses it, because they're such Karen's about getting the license before you even start to learn.

Have to get engaged and get interest before you are willing to get a license.
I thought about HAM for a hot minute. But, its like joining the church of Scientology. Fuck it. Family and maybe GMRS is fine for my uses...

• Haha
Reactions: TheHorta and Ronws
Just for kicks, go onto a ham forum and ask about replacing the antenna on your blister pack FRS radio and watch all the wanna be ersatz FCC agents threaten you with 10 years in jail and a $20,000 fine 🤣

And boy to they really get hot and bothered over Baofengs...mention you are using a Baofengs and they are ready to send you to gitmo because it's not an FCC approved radio.

But ham is disappearing for 3 main reasons:

1) it's no longer relevant technology...I can hop on Skype or pull out a cellphone and talk with some dude from Japan for free with 100% reliability.....I don't have to skip a signal off the atmosphere and hope he doesn't have a cloudy day.

2) the people are fucking weird...they are either super elitist or ungodly antisocial( which makes their choice of hobby a little strange)

3) the licensing requirements haven't updated to the 21st century...there is no reason the licensing test can't be taken online (at least for the tech course)...but then again i dont need a license to buy equipment, so what good is that license actually doing?
Somebody better tell most of the cargo ships about Baofengs being illegal….

Retard.

• Haha
There are still some who actually have taken the course, and gotten a few radios and such. Now if only there was time (and ability) to accomplish a dozen ODIG jobs so that the 'Ham Shack' could get assembled.

That, and get a slab poured for the 30' guyed mast that we have outside, still yet to erect.

VE4......

Just for kicks, go onto a ham forum and ask about replacing the antenna on your blister pack FRS radio and watch all the wanna be ersatz FCC agents threaten you with 10 years in jail and a $20,000 fine 🤣

And boy to they really get hot and bothered over Baofengs...mention you are using a Baofengs and they are ready to send you to gitmo because it's not an FCC approved radio.

1) it's no longer relevant technology...I can hop on Skype or pull out a cellphone and talk with some dude from Japan for free with 100% reliability.....I don't have to skip a signal off the atmosphere and hope he doesn't have a cloudy day.

2) the people are fucking weird...they are either super elitist or ungodly antisocial( which makes their choice of hobby a little strange)

3) the licensing requirements haven't updated to the 21st century...there is no reason the licensing test can't be taken online (at least for the tech course)...but then again i dont need a license to buy equipment, so what good is that license actually doing?
Absolutely nothing

"What good is that license actually doing?" you asked.

Well, it kept you off the airwaves, didn't it? And that may be a good thing as you will hopefully glean from the comments below.

I am going to raise the first BS flag on your statement that
1) it's no longer relevant technology...I can hop on Skype or pull out a cellphone and talk with some dude from Japan for free with 100% reliability.
Ham radio vs calling a friend in Japan via cell or Voice Over IP (VOIP) are two completely different things, serving different purposes. The latter are private, one-on-one connection whereas ham radio is a globally distributed citizens' broadcast system.

What you lack in privacy with ham you gain in the situational awareness department. You can just listen (without needing a license) to what people talk about all over the world. With the current level of global propaganda and censorship on all other media, I would say that listening to hundreds of personal observations and opinions on the air is as close as you can get to the real bottom line. That became abundantly clear during the Plandemic.

Ham radio also uses the oldest, most basic ways to transmit information wirelessly and therefore will be the last resort when things go dark. Anything fancier and reliant on proprietary, fixed infrastructure will be gone much sooner. This was clearly the case on the East Coast on the day of 9/11 when the cellular system was overloaded and then a few days later when the backup generators for the IP backbones ran out of diesel.

I am raising a second BS flag on
.I don't have to skip a signal off the atmosphere and hope he doesn't have a cloudy day.
Weather events in the atmosphere are, with the exception of interference from lightning, completely irrelevant for long distance propagation of radio waves. Yes, waves in the Giga Hertz range (think Microwave) are affected by moisture but those are line-of-sight propagation anyways.

The waves used for long distance transmissions are reflected by ionized (electrically charged) layers way up in the -you guessed it- Ionosphere. These effects are driven by solar cycles, emissions from solar flares, by the greyline that separates day and night, etc. In the HF world (low Mega Hertz) you talk about "Space Weather". To learn about these 'out of this world' mechanisms and then play around with them may be reason enough for some to get involved in this hobby. If spin drift has become too predictable and boring, you maybe want to learn about global propagation patterns.

Finally, let's take a look at
That may be a case of "The way you shout in the Forrest is the way it echoes back"

As anecdotal evidence I would like to mention that in pursuit of my ham license I had the honor to have my understanding of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA, the key to transmitting thousands of private cell phone connection via just a few frequencies) brushed up by the guy who got the first patent on it. He was also a pilot with his own airstrip next to a huge cross that overshadowed an equally huge indoor arena, used for horse training during the week and for a down-to-sawdust mass on Sundays. There was no way you could tell from his demeanor that he was the retired, multi-billion co-founder of Qualcom. He was a rock-solid, fun brainiac, free of any pretense or Holier Than Thou attitude. (RIP, Klein.)

And who is to say whether bouncing a signal off a satellite or the moon is weirder than lobbing a bullet across a valley to hit a target that is barely visible to the naked eye. One geek may slap a Magnetospeed on his barrel and obsess about ES and SD, the other may use NIST calibrated frequencies, emitted in Fort Collins and received by a home-built, GPS time stabilized receiver to detect the movement of the ionizing layers via the Doppler effect. Fortunately for both, this country is still free enough to pursue both obsessions. And both groups do not seem to suffer know-it-all ignoramuses lightly.

You maybe surprised what doors open when you approach a new field with humility, clearly stating that you are a noob, looking for mentors instead of insulting those who perfected their craft over decades by pretending that you have all the answers before you even understand the questions.

Last edited:

I have baofengs with FRS and GMRS channels loaded. And 15" antennas, and they're on 3 watts...

And I know that nobody will ever care that I don't have a ham license and I'm using them on "unapproved" channels because I'm not using them in town or where anyone can really hear me.
If the FCC starts driving around the mountains I'll be concerned. Until then I enjoy laughing at those that are scared of a 3 letter agency. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: ...