• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Calling all snipers in the sandbox who shot ar-10

pale horse

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
alaska
I would like any input fron snipers who used a ar 10 platform rifle or anything like not the M1A I would like to know the pros and cons of this sniper system I have bolt guns & M1A,s would like a white feather just would. I want to here from people who use this system on a mission and your liks & dislikes thanks

Re: Calling all snipers in the sandbox who shot ar-10

Off topic from your question.

If you do decide to go with a "Whitefeather", id reconsider. For that much money you could have a well renown smith custom build you an all USGI(save receiver) m14 clone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rev762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> OPSEC </div></div>
Thank you. There's a thread going around Arfcom regarding members who have posted questions using odd English grammar and are trying to elicit confidential information. Some of the tactics look like the kind of things I used to be warned about.

Oh, please. There is likely a thread on barfcom about UFOs and being "probed" by aliens, too.

The difference between AR10s and M1As is widely discussed. There is no conceivable opsec issue here, as our opponents don't have the choice between buying one or the other.

And I see posters here all the time whom I know, and who are using odd grammar and spelling, because they were incarcerated in the American public school system, which sucks.

The use of a little common sense goes a long way.

OTOH, the OP has obviously not searched this site for that information, and should.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, please. There is likely a thread on barfcom about UFOs and being "probed" by aliens, too.

The difference between AR10s and M1As is widely discussed. There is no conceivable opsec issue here, as our opponents don't have the choice between buying one or the other.

And I see posters here all the time whom I know, and who are using odd grammar and spelling, because they were incarcerated in the American public school system, which suck

The use of a little common sense goes a long way.

OTOH, the OP has obviously not searched this site for that information, and should.
</div></div>

Now thats just funny.

a little off topic but I saw a taliban / insurgent video where the fucker thanks Major Plaster for his book because they use it as their training tool for their insurgent snipers. Really pissed me off but hey what can you do??

Well, there are things which I personally won't discuss on this forum - but the fundamentals of marksmanship and sniping go way back. And the Afghanis did pretty well against the Russians.

I suspect that we might learn something from them - and I hope we are paying attention.

Using my best public school grammar, I would like to point out that the OP had made 156 other posts before this. That's quite some effort if he is a bad guy. It's remarkable that no one suspected any of his other posts in the last four years.

He does seem confused about which rifle platform the White Feather uses. I'm more fearful of ignorance among our own population than I am of our enemies having access to the Internet.

see their snipers don't need to work very hard, we don't make it that hard for them to pick targets. with sentries, road blocks, convoy stops, and general marine and army SOP's being so freaking predictable it doesn't take much to get 100-200 yards away from US forces and take pot shots.

on the subject at hand, the EBR platform is nice as a patrol weapon, ours were not sniper rifle accurate so we used them as patrol weapons in open terrain. the mk11 (ar10) is a pretty well unliked weapon in my community, i will go as far as say it is probably the number one most UNUSED gun in our inventory. But that is KAC's fault and not the platform, it could be a good system. but that is a discussion i have had with KAC before and got shunned for on m4carbine.net. so i will leave it at that. I would rather have a scar heavy or ebr to patrol with with a elcan or acog and then put my 300win mag in my backpack.

can't wait to see what the new scar SSR is like i've heard good things so far but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

I am thinking that such a weapon operationally functional would be acceptable in hot dry sandy environmentals. If such a weapon to me could be shipped I am readdy to deposit 1 million dollars into your checking account, need only the numbers of routing to your account. Thank you.

I was fortuned to use the SR25 back in early Mid 90's and did very well with it, I personally own A DPMS 308 18 inch and love it for hunting in Michigan I would not trust it in a sand filled enviroment. I even put my M4 behind my MRAP seat and carried a M21 with EBR instead, AR platforms still just do not cut it. I was also able to use a Piston driven AR with more success...I am currently working on a 308 Piston system I hope to have ready soon patent crap is expensive.....anyway thats all on that until is covered. Bottom line if you are not going to take it to Iraq, NTC, Afgan or other areas of the world that are full of sand, they are great and very accurate

What's the issue with EBR's and sandy environments? Is the lube picking up sand?

I run a spray on dry lube in my AR's. I've read that there may be an issue with the dry lube reacting with the aluminum but I haven't noticed it. I don't do any major cleaning I just boresnake once or twice a year and wipe down the BCG and relube every few hundred rds. I've notices there's less buildup on the internals since I switched to dry lube.

My only stoppages have been magazine related and I can count those on less than 2 hands in the last few years. I'm not a high round count shooter. maybe 500-1K a year.

Seems like every AR I ever see on the range is dripping with oil.

Any other countries still fielding the FN-FAL or L1A1 over there?

Break-Free CLP is about the best for not picking up sand. Lifts residue away real good also making cleaning easier. I use this along with Powder Blast.

I'm ruff on my hunting rifles and shotguns. Ive had them submerged in mud a few times LOL. I used brake-free in the military as my personal preference, I don't know if its the best, as I was no sniper, I was a chem guy. Yeah bring on the anthrax and nerve agents, then I can give some more advice LOL.

I was a die hard CLP user. I have switched over to Militec1 in the past couple years. Reports from the sandbox are good (better than CLP) and if you are MIL/LE they will send you a nice pack of samples that will last a year or more.

I run it in my suppressed M4 and a good coat at the beginning of the day has me going all day without the need for more lube. I now use it on my AR10 although it doesn't see a tenth of the punishment that my M4 does.

Slip2000 is also a good semi-auto lube that some of the Carbine Guru's swear by. I have not used it though so I can't comment on it's effectiveness.

I have to agree with Big Joes statements. While I have been out of sniping units since the inception of the M-110, I talked to a couple sniper teams on my last deployment that were carrying them. They said exactly what Big Joe said: they are a good system in concept but Knights Armament has done a piss-poor job making them and the soldiers forced to use them don't have much faith in them. They are much more maintenance intensive than the M24 SWS, and they have a lower level of accuracy.

Of course we already knew this would be the case but it shouldn't be as bad as it is and be a front line weapon system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to agree with Big Joes statements. While I have been out of sniping units since the inception of the M-110, I talked to a couple sniper teams on my last deployment that were carrying them. They said exactly what Big Joe said: they are a good system in concept but Knights Armament has done a piss-poor job making them and the soldiers forced to use them don't have much faith in them. They are much more maintenance intensive than the M24 SWS, and they have a lower level of accuracy.

Of course we already knew this would be the case but it shouldn't be as bad as it is and be a front line weapon system. </div></div>

Knights Armament sure dose believe in them though. Look at the price of those things. Over priced just because they got the contract.

I heard others mention it was good stuff. I might have to give Militec1 a try. Heck as long as you use anything besides rem-oil you should be OK LOL.