• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

camel back help

acts238

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2011
N W Montana
any one know how to make water taste better out of a camel back or simular bladder type container ?

Re: camel back help

you just gotta run some water thru it if it's new.

if you use powdered drink mixes, it <span style="font-weight: bold">WILL</span> get moldy and become unserviceable. period.

they make a handy cleaning kit, but you should be able to just use a nylon brush on a cable (look at musical instrument supply places like the woodwind & brasswind, trumpet/trombone size probably the best) and warm water with a very mild detergent, rinsing thoroughly.

By "taste better" do you mean you have a bad taste/plastic residue taste from a new one?

It ain't going to taste any better coming out than it did going in.

Rinse it when you start. Keep it dry when you aren't using it. Run a bleach solution through it now and then or use the Camelbak cleaning kit.

Store empty bladder in the freezer and you will have no mold problems.

I use the Source bladders. Big improvement on the Camel Backs. Larger opening to put ice inside. And also you can open the end up and get your hand inside to clean it out instead of the little brush that you have to use for a camel back.

Cut

I've had the same one for 12 years from my service days. Every once in a while i put a spash of bleach in the bladder and fill with water - run it through the tube and let it sit for about 10 min or so. Rinse it out good. I doubled over a wire hanger that fits inside the bladder keeping the bladder expanded, so it dries out until I use it.

+1 to keeping it in the freezer when not in use. Also, run straight water to prevent mold growth. For some reason that rubbery plastic-y taste has a nostalgic effect for me- camping trips when I was a kid... I don't mind it.

I have found that using Chlorhexidine solution for cleaning and disinfecting works really well to remove nasty flavors. Washing with a solution of baking soda might help a new bladder. In a pinch once I used Listerine to soak the mouth piece when it got nasty and it stayed nice for much longer and tested a hell of a lot better.

Ive had it a while
I do bleach & flush it every now & then
but I have not tryed storing it dry
thats makes sense
thanks for the responses
I'll give that a try

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Source bladders. Big improvement on the Camel Backs. Larger opening to put ice inside. And also you can open the end up and get your hand inside to clean it out instead of the little brush that you have to use for a camel back.

Cut </div></div>

I can get my hand in my camelback.And ice. I think they make different design nowadays.

As others have said, they require some cleaning. After using mine for awhile the plastic taste has slowly faded.

we are issued them and the small cleaning kit of brushes, dont mix stuff with your water as I find it hard to get the taste out (seems to imbed itself into the bladder).I just clean mine with hot water and the brushes once in a while and store dry to prevent mold.seems to work

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willoughby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> any one know how to make water taste better out of a camel back or simular bladder type container ?
</div></div>

Slice of lemon

Fill it with water and baking soda and soak it overnight. Rinse it well.

Always clean it after use with a lemon juice and baking soda mix. Never put anything but water in it.

Camelbak makes some nifty little individually wrapped cleaning tablets to kill the bacteria and take care of taste. the brushes and cleaning kits are for visible crud.

Store empty bladder in the freezer and you will have no mold problems.

This, but make sure the tube is drained and dry. I store all of mine in the freezer but have recently had some issues with leaking from the bite valve.