• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CamelBak BACKPACK

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
Whos' got one and how do you like it?

I saw a gal here at work carrying one, does not look like it has hydration (It may) - but it's teh same size as most sport type backpacks.

Anyone got one? How do you like it?

Re: CamelBak BACKPACK

I have a couple different CamelBak packs and I am very pleased with them overall. I have had a Camelbak BFM (outfitted with various mfgs aftermarket pouches) that I have had for many years now and it has held up to heavy use and trips all over hell's half acre. Despite not looking great any more (dirt/crud/a little fading here and there/etc.), all the seams, all the zippers, straps, etc. are all still 100%. I also have a couple of their smaller packs and just the basic "hydration carrier" setups. The quality on them all is the same...very HIGH quality that is!

I have no reservations whatsoever recommending their kit. Also, as a bonus, Ceylon Blackwell with Deltaoutdoorsman became a CamelBak dealer early in 2011 so he should be able to hook you up with their gear at an incredible price when you are in the market. Shoot him a PM or e-mail for best options/pricing.

Our platoon medic carried one all over Afghanistan with a ton of gear in it...held up just fine.

I have had a camelbak hawg for about six years that has been a helmet bag/range bag, and now serves as EDC gym bag. The thing is still holding up great.

Definitely well made tough gear. I think they were right around $100 when my old unit bought them, and they held up as well as any of the Blackhawk and socom packs that were bought around the same time.

Pretty sure they all have a spot for the bladder, and the pocket that the bladder sits in is insulated which was great in smoking hot weather.

Camelbak M.U.L.E. owner here- had it for 6 yrs, still has original 100 fl.oz bladder- use it for mountain biking. Added bonus- when crashing it doubles as back side body armor. Has held up as good or better than any other mil gear I own like Esstac etc. Quantico Arms has some of their mil line in stock too.

Semper Fi,
~A~

Don't remember what type, but I bought it at the Camp Buehring PX. Desert camo type with the main pocket for the hydration bag, one pocket on top and one on the bottom. Had it for 4 years and it still doesn't show any wear. Was perfect for carrying extra food, ammo and water in case we had an unexpected landing in the desert. Probably the most important thing I carried with me on a flight. Now I just wear it for long bike rides and short hikes.

Ill go against the grain on this one.

In the larger packs (Talon, Motherload, BFM etc), I find that the number of pockets and compartments complicate the packs. The layers of zippers and extra materiel needed for the compartments adds weight and reduces the volume compared to simpler packs with the same dimensions.

My BFM is my favorite pack. It's held up great over the past several years. I'll agree with Steve that it does have a lot of pockets and pouches on it but I've found a use for it set up this way so it suits my purposes. Not sure it would have been ideal when I was in the Army. Guess it all boils down to personal preference and what the mission dictates but I would have no reservations about the quality of the packs.

I used the Camelbak -Linchpin at a recent sniper school and found it to be a great pack. Hands down this is my favorite medium sized pack.

Outer Top:
Rangefinder
8x binos
Kestral

Outer Lower:
Databook
Notebook
Veil
Branch cutters
Bug spray
Misc. items pouch (headlamp, 100 MPH tape, zip ties, ect..)

Outer zipper area:
550 cord on carabiners for dragging on belt or hillside (don't fu@%ing roll away from me!)

Outer pockets:
Magazines / Ammo

Main Pocket:
Spotting scope
Ghilli Skins "Viper Hood"
Other large items

PRS medium tripod lashed to outside (indispensable for high angle shooting and observing)

The compartmentalization ment I could reach for what I needed and did not have to dig and search for items. The pack carried very well when hiking/stalking to FFP.

One small problem...after dragging the pack the mesh-like back area fas full of debris that were a PITA to remove later.

IMG_0302-1.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

I've had several over the years and just got a Tri Zip in the other month. There is one for the top flap, 2 interior mesh pockets, and 2 side pockets, one for administrative stuff like pens, knife, small flash light ect. I took it with me to the AAC shoot a couple of months back and it was stuffed with about 10 boxes of ammo, My gripped Canon 7D with flash, 2 lenses, flash light, knife, handgun, hearing protection, and glasses. I like the bag because of you have to get something from the bottom of the bag, you can zip it all the way down like you are butterflying a animal to get to the bottom without having to pull everything out of it. Of course Camelbak is known for their hydration systems. I have seen cheaper brands leak and puncture easily. I have never had a problem with any of my bladders on any of my Camelbaks. The Mystery Ranch style suspension system is pretty ingenious too as you can adjust the bag to ride to your body.

I have had several smaller Camelbaks and always really liked them. I use them alot. I have a couple of larger packs but prefer the Eberlestock's waist and shoulder strap design a lot better.

Thanks guys - Glad to hear the good reviews. I may keep my eye out for one now.

I have a sport backpack, it's held up OK for school etc but dont' want to take that to the field this summer...

Girlfriend is wanting to go climb a mountain now...skydiving didn't do it for her LOL (This is a day walk mountain)...

I own a camelbak backpack... they make great bags. I believe most camelbak backpacks are designed with the intention of carrying a bladder.

Recently though, I purchased a similar size Maxpedition.... there is a real difference in quality.

The maxpedition seems to be more intelligently designed, better stitched... overall just feels like a higher quality bag. It also is designed to hold camelbak bladders, or you can slip a handgun in that part of the bag. (the similar sized maxpedition bag feels heavier than the camelbak so that could be a deal breaker... however its more solid feeling so it won't change shape as much or move around as much)

With all the molle options I slapped on the maxpedition bag... i think in the end it came out to something like $250-$300!!!!

I'm not THAT hard on my gear so it'll probably last 10-20 years so i suppose it COULD be worth it.

If I needed another bag, i'd probably get the camelbak. :p

There are tons of packs that either come with water bladders and hose or are designed with hydration in mind that are far superior to Camelbak packs. Camelbaks are fine for throwing on your back as an alternative to bottles for mountainbiking, but for actually carrying things besides water they are illogically designed, have non-exsitant suspension and are very flimsy. And for what you're getting, they are overpriced.

Companies like Osprey make packs that are much better made and designed for not that much more than Camelbak products.

Been using a Camelback BFM for years in travel and at matches and it's always worked great for me. Plenty of room and the compartments make finding what I need easy.

Another excellent pack are the Eberlestock packs. I have a Phantom and like it as well. Great pack.

I have one of the older Talons, and it is a good pack. It held what I needed and worked ok. No complaints.
I got a Maxped Vulture and like it more. More room, slightly better organization and pocket sizing, and the MOLLE on the outside lets me customize it to what I need.

i have the HAWG pack and i use it every day for work or play. its my favorite pack, and has taken a beating over the years. just make sure you buy the military line of pack and not the flashy normal ones you would find at a sporting good store. big difference in quality.

I have a Tri-Zip. It carries my laptop, books, food for work, first aid kit, 3 liters plus an additional water bottle every day. Then when I am off duty I use it as a range bag and I also use for cycling. For 200 you get a sweet pack that is very comfortable to wear.

I have used a mule for at least 7 yrs for hunting and hiking and a light pack on a trip to Nicaragua. Just upgraded to a Linchpin and have no complaints.

I'm stuck between the Linchpin and Talon. Anybody have experience with the Talon? The suspension system on the Linchpin is very similar to my AT Osprey packs which I really like