• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Camera/Camcorder as a spotter

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
Seen the results of some of these ultra high optical zoom cameras and camcorders used as spotters and am in the market myself.
I’d seen and heard great stuff about the Nikon P900 (83x optical) used this way but would like image stabilization.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Nikon just announced the P1000 that replaces the 900. It has a 125x zoom and is 4K video
It's not a spotting scope
Not meant to be but it is awesome and due out shortly
Great way to take distance videos and pictures
Of course we will be taking care of the forum members

Literally just looked at that as well. Very cool. Love the quick zoom in and out Incase you loose your image. Looks to be a 3.2” screen. Wonder if there are any camcorders with larger screens that compare. The search is on
No of course they aren’t spotters but like you said it’s pretty awesome.

Curious. What negatives can you see to using a p1000 as a spotter?

Last edited:
Literally just looked at that as well. Very cool. Love the quick zoom in and out Incase you loose your image. Looks to be a 3.2” screen. Wonder if there are any camcorders with larger screens that compare. The search is on
No of course they aren’t spotters but like you said it’s pretty awesome.

Curious. What negatives can you see to using a p1000 as a spotter?

How much light it brings in?

How much light it brings in?
I'm far from an expert, but I've learned through researching the P900 for similar applications that these high-optical zoom cameras achieve their performance through the use of a small sensor. Likely not very good in low-light scenarios.

Huh. Hadn’t seen that. That is a big deal. Can you point me in the right direction for any reviews showing this?

I'll wait till it's released before I pass final judgement, but it looks like the image processor uses some trickery to brighten up images. Look at this video and see how dark the lion is at wide angle compared to telephoto: . Here's to hoping that the video wasn't modified in post.

Another thing to keep in mind - and again, just guessing at it until I get mine - is that mirage and diffraction are probably going to be amplified on this camera compared to a quality spotting scope. The image processor will be able to take care of some of it, but I'm skeptical how useful this thing will be at distance on a hot day.

On screen size, Nikon has Snapbridge which can automatically send photos to your phone. You can also use your phone as a viewfinder and operate some of the camera controls. It's not a perfect solution, but since you're probably observing static targets, it's probably good enough and gives you the ability to see images on a larger screen.

It all comes down to what you expect to do with it. I don't expect the P1000 to replace a good spotting scope, but I think it definitely has it's place when I'm at the range alone. If nothing else, it will be a fun toy.

Mr. Toyz,

I love Nikon products, and have used them since the early 80's, but never thought of using one for a spotting scope. Surely never thought there would ever be a lens I could afford with that focal length for use as a spotting scope.

I have seen telescopes for sale and thought of using the iPhone or other device placed on the eyepiece as a "monitor." Always worried about the mirage being a problem at the distances we are shooting, out to 1200 yards, expense and something else big to tote and set up.

I have been using the Caldwell camera system for over a year and loving it. It was around $300, set camera up by target WIFI back to a receiver, or if close enough not needed, then link it to you iPad or other WIFI device. You can take pics or videos, mark your hits, measure your hits ect. No mirages, fast and easy to set up, rechargeable batteries, comes with the tripods ect for set up. ONE negative is the adjustable arm that holds the camera isn't stiff enough, so a little bungie cord is needed to help.

Just an option, you might have already seen.

Steve

Assuming it gives a good enough image at the distances we want (we'll just have to wait until somebody gets one and lets us all know), I'd love to see one of the shot tracker apps for the remote target camera systems adapted to use the feed from this camera.

Envision: this camera on a solid mount on the shooting bench, a foot or so to the side of the barrel. Camera sends the video feed by Bluetooth to an iPad running the shot tracker app. Could be sweet.

Nikon just announced the P1000 that replaces the 900. It has a 125x zoom and is 4K video
It's not a spotting scope
Not meant to be but it is awesome and due out shortly
Great way to take distance videos and pictures
Of course we will be taking care of the forum members

These guys do take care of members and can view all that camera gear from our viewpoint. Big score on that Sirui tripod, thanks again.

When I saw this I was thinking of you running a spool of cable from a monitor to an old school camcorder...

That's a pretty novel idea, using a camera to spot. You could feed it into a laptop or other screen, perhaps sharing the ballistics calculator. I just wonder about it's limitations and if I could get used to it or not. For monitoring a target, yeah, but for actual spotting? Trace? Mirage? Bad conditions? I'd have to see it work first.

OK, we may definitely have something here. Check out this video which zooms to a high rise that appears to be at least a mile away:

https://twistedsifter.com/videos/the-3000mm-zoom-on-the-nikon-coolpix-p1000/

Notice that despite there being plenty of mirage, the camera is still able to resolve stuff under 12" in size. (Like the hard hats on construction workers atop the building!). You'd definitely be able to see a swinging steel target. I'm wondering if the image stabilization software is essentially filtering out some of the mirage.

We'll have to see, but this might well be a game changer.

Reactions: pinhead
Like the 125x of the new P1000 but I may see if I can find a deal on a P900 to start. Shouldn’t have a problem finding on for under $500 new. If it works well then I’ll upgrade if not then I’ve got a good camera.
Biggest down fall I can see is I won’t have image stabilization, I’ve got an RRS34 tho.
As I’d said above I’ve seen some incredible video spotting Elk from a couple miles away. Was actually one of guys that works fo Sig I met at a show.

Last edited:
Like the 125x of the new P1000 but I may see if I can find a deal on a P900 to start. Shouldn’t have a problem finding on for under $500 new. If it works well then I’ll upgrade if not then I’ve got a good camera.
Biggest down fall I can see is I won’t have image stabilization, I’ve got an RRS34 tho.
As I’d said above I’ve seen some incredible video spotting Elk from a couple miles away. Was actually one of guys that works fo Sig I met at a show.

Good thought; I suspect that they'll be available for under $400 once the P1000 hits the market . 83x optical (plus more digital) zoom and a 1080p video feed may be enough. Please let us know how it works. Suggestion: pair it with a cheap battery-powered 1080p portable monitor (10-13") connected to the camera by an HTMI cable. (Unfortunately, very few laptops have HTMI input capabilities.)

Saw this is an old thread but wondering if anyone has been using the P1000 at the range and thoughts?

I have seen conversations about P900 and P1000 for range use but few people giving feedback that have actually used them, so thought I'd share my experience as I have used a P900 at the range for about a year. It is only for the range and I have never even bothered to go through the extensive menus. I just point and use.

The good: ease of use just turn on and zoom in, no eye relief/shaking issues as I've seen looking through cheap scopes (not snipers hide shooters) other guys using at the club, I zoom in as camera then switch to movie mode and the quality increases and is great for 50/100, passable at 200. Battery life is good, I have a few batteries and at a few hour range visit I may have to change battery once depending if fresh battery or not.

The bad: reset movie every 29 minutes, probably could be fixed but I can't be bothered. When zoomed it can be tricky to adjust position with my cheap amazon tripod. Also the 83x is a marketing thing, not sure what it really is, but if you look at an object, lets say target at 50 yds with your eyes then look using camera without zoom, it appears farther away than it really is, meaning you need to start zooming in for it match what you see IRL, knocking a few X off your supposed 83.

Overall I like it, is it as good as a good scope? Nope. But is it usable at most normal range distances 50-200 in my area. It's super easy to use, and makes spotting for shooting partner easy, just relax in the chair and watch little screen.

Quite a few of my rifles have high zoom scopes ( 40x ) so an external device is somewhat redundant
when I can see holes in paper @ 500 in good conditions . Spotting scopes can be obtained for as little
as $300 that will get the job done too . BUT , if you need to produce video for whatever reason , then
yeah seems worth the effort .

I use this rig to record my strings. It’s funny playing them back and listening to some of the calls that don’t match the splash. :p

Cheers,

That is an excellent use of tech as a training aid . If it was possible to see the mirage and environmental
signs at the same time even better .