• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Camo at the range

Skid1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
Arvada, CO
This is not intended to insult anyone, more of a information only question. Why do you wear full camo to the shooting range? I'm sure you could wear a full clown suit and the paper targets won't see you. Just curious as to your reasoning. Again there is not right or wrong answers, just your thoughts. I personally wear jeans and a t-shirt to a range unless it's for the Army, then I have no choice.
grin.gif

Re: Camo at the range

For me, since I rarely shoot from a bench, I usually wear clothes that I don't mind if they get dirty or dusty. I also like to wear stuff that is a little abrasion resistant. That could be old cammies, that could be Carhart work stuff. It all depends on what I grab when I get dressed to go to the range. I'm not a big jeans guy and the jeans I do have DO NOT belong in the dirt.

That being said I have shot in a t shirt, flip flops and board shorts on more than one occasion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not intended to insult anyone, more of a information only question. Why do you wear full camo to the shooting range? I'm sure you could wear a full clown suit and the paper targets won't see you. Just curious as to your reasoning. Again there is not right or wrong answers, just your thoughts. I personally wear jeans and a t-shirt to a range unless it's for the Army, then I have no choice.
grin.gif
</div></div>

I don't know of anyone who dresses up like an ass clown in full camo when they visit the range. I wear jeans, t-shirt, and something to keep the sun out of my eyes.

I wear my usual day to day clothes. Jeans, shirt, and boots. I do have a few pair of tactical pants. They're comfy, otherwise my Wranglers are good to me...

Surplus German Flektarn with a heavy dose of B.O. is my favorite range outfit.....I also wear this set to gunshows when I am shopping for a new dream catcher and some beef jerky.

seriously though...never been able ot figure out the full battle dressat the range guys..shit we got people wearing camelbaks standing 6ft from a fking Coke machine...

I was at an indoor range once and saw a dude shooting an AR, wearing jeans, a a t-shirt and one of those od green load harness things, with nothing on it. He looked like someone who could short out real easy. Maybe thats how he got in touch with his inner commando.

Range camo is pretty silly but not as bad as the guy who gets dressed up like its an elk hunt for a trip to Cabela's.

I like the 5'5" tall guys that are 450lbs... in all black (bdu or 5.11), w/ a Larue, HK, etc ballcap on their unwashed head, thigh rig (empty), tactical vest, etc... that waddle their asses up to do full mag dumps at 20ft w/ their AKs that have everything NcStar makes hanging off it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the 5'5" tall guys that are 450lbs... in all black (bdu or 5.11), w/ a Larue, HK, etc ballcap on their unwashed head, thigh rig (empty), tactical vest, etc... that waddle their asses up to do full mag dumps at 20ft w/ their AKs that have everything NcStar makes hanging off it.
</div></div>Hahaa, yeah good to know those guys are out there in abundance in case the poo really ever does hit the paddles. (plenty of ammo for us to take from them if need be) Stock up ninjas!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Range camo is pretty silly but not as bad as the guy who gets dressed up like its an elk hunt for a trip to Cabela's. </div></div>

We've had guys show up to dove hunts outfitted like its an upland game,pheasant and quail excursion or an Orvis catalog photo shoot. Briar chaps, $10k over under, orange vest with shell holders and big waxed brim hats haha. We always laugh our asses off when one of our buddies draws a spot near someone like that. Oh and it's really fun to drop a long range dove on their heads after you find out they can't shoot for shit. By the end of the day they almost fall out from heat exhaustion, get sun burnt as hell and end up getting put on indoor restriction for a while by their wife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not intended to insult anyone, more of a information only question. Why do you wear full camo to the shooting range? I'm sure you could wear a full clown suit and the paper targets won't see you. Just curious as to your reasoning. Again there is not right or wrong answers, just your thoughts. I personally wear jeans and a t-shirt to a range unless it's for the Army, then I have no choice.
grin.gif
</div></div>

because they want to be tacti-cool

i went to the range and spotted this fool wearing full on camo with his plate carrier vest on while shooting from a bench i couldn't help but laugh my ass off
if i wear cammo to the range usually it will be just old bdu pants because they are my "get dirty" pants and i dont want to be going prone in my "good pants" but i also wear my camo pants for other things like yard work too because like i said they are my "get dirty" pants

i got all natural at the range... completely NUDE

either that or full ghille its either all or nothing, have to train for the zombies. non scented soap and facepaint too, blends right in to the pavement when i shoot my 100 yard groups

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blueclawz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surplus German Flektarn with a heavy dose of B.O. is my favorite range outfit.....I also wear this set to gunshows when I am shopping for a new dream catcher and some beef jerky.

seriously though...never been able ot figure out the full battle dressat the range guys..shit we got people wearing camelbaks standing 6ft from a fking Coke machine... </div></div>

Don't forget your three wolve moon t-shirt, and faded bandana...

I can understand wearing a LBV or a plate carrier as it affects the position of the butt stock to you shoulder well, but full battle dress is a bit much to me just to practice punching holes in paper imho. The camelbak statement was awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Range camo is pretty silly but not as bad as the guy who gets dressed up like its an elk hunt for a trip to Cabela's. </div></div>

We've had guys show up to dove hunts outfitted like its an upland game,pheasant and quail excursion or an Orvis catalog photo shoot. Briar chaps, $10k over under, orange vest with shell holders and big waxed brim hats haha. We always laugh our asses off when one of our buddies draws a spot near someone like that. Oh and it's really fun to drop a long range dove on their heads after you find out they can't shoot for shit. By the end of the day they almost fall out from heat exhaustion, get sun burnt as hell and end up getting put on indoor restriction for a while by their wife. </div></div>

My first time ever going dove hunting when I was about 12, I got decked out in full camo and when my grandpa showed up wearing a white tshirt and blue jeans and took out his giant red ice chest and drug it about 20' from his pickup, sat down and went to slaughtering birds it was the last time I wore camo for dove hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i got all natural at the range... completely NUDE

either that or full ghille its either all or nothing, have to train for the zombies. non scented soap and facepaint too, blends right in to the pavement when i shoot my 100 yard groups </div></div>

Lol, quick way to have the range all to yourself.

When I go to the Colorado Rifle Club, I just wear a cheetah skin loin cloth and some vegetable oil.

Suspiciously, this was also the day I signed the papers for Lowlight so that he could join our happy, disfunctional family.

Coincidence? I think not!

Is somebody knocking the fairly regular wear of BDU pants?

I like 'em better than blue jeans...usually woodland, it's just me.

Tee shirts, flannel, hoodies when I go shoot.

Dressing up tacticool for a public range, or a gunshow, makes you one of THOSE guys........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is somebody knocking the fairly regular wear of BDU pants?

I like 'em better than blue jeans...usually woodland, it's just me.

Tee shirts, flannel, hoodies when I go shoot.

Dressing up tacticool for a public range, or a gunshow, makes you one of THOSE guys........ </div></div>
BDU pants and a flannel are fine. I was referring to BDU pants, BDU jacket, and BDU boonie hat, and possibly tactical gloves.

I see camo at my local range quite often. But as the range is on a military installation and 95 percent of the members are AD or retired, it looks pretty normal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
BDU pants and a flannel are fine. I was referring to BDU pants, BDU jacket, and BDU boonie hat, and possibly tactical gloves. </div></div>

Can I wear a boonie to the (my) range if it involves white tennis shoes, tee shirt, sexy legs, a 9mm, and an impromptu footrace that results in a dead groundhog?

pistolchuck2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I go to the Colorado Rifle Club, I just wear a cheetah skin loin cloth and some vegetable oil.

Suspiciously, this was also the day I signed the papers for Lowlight so that he could join our happy, disfunctional family.

Coincidence? I think not! </div></div>

You skin Cheetah? Bad man! Tell me: who LL in show if you wear loincloth and Cheetah go up in sky?

For me it's old camo I won't hunt with any more, just cuz I'm used to it and it's comfy. I do also like to wear what I'll wear hunting when I practice, to make sure everything works together. Snagged a gun butt on a low shirt pocket once when I was a kid, so I like to check everything out.

Not that I go to the range all decked out in battle rattle but... who gives a fuck?
Who really cares? If that's the only thing someone has to worry about in life then they are doing pretty damn good I'd say. As long as it is not impeding on your's or anyone else's lawful activities then it really does not matter. When you start seeing idiots all decked out, doing spinning backflip, between the legs, double taps like they think they are fucking spetsnaz, flagging everyone and their dog then you have a problem.

I understand what you're saying about how silly it may look. However when I go to the range, I wear what I would be wearing if I got a (SWAT) call out. At this time, our team is wearing the new A-Tacs camouflage but I don't only train with my team. Perfect practice makes perfect and being that I'm one of the team snipers, I like to get out to the range as often as I can. Don't judge the person at first looks. There may be a reason why he's doing what he's doing.

I wear tru-spec pants all the time. Work and all other. No camo, just solid colors, mostly blue for work. My work is not Law Enforcement. These pants are comfortable and i find carrying all my daily stuff is easier with all the pockets.I have many different tee shirts and long sleeved tee shirts with ammo or gun stuff on them and wear them most all the time away from work. I wear a cap all the time and some are from gun related companies. When I wear shorts, they are usually Wrangler cargo pocket shorts with the same pockets that make it easy to carry my shit. They may or may not be camo. I hope if you see me at the range or else where, it's ok for me to be in the attire you see me in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blueclawz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surplus German Flektarn with a heavy dose of B.O. is my favorite range outfit.....I also wear this set to gunshows when I am shopping for a new dream catcher and some beef jerky.

seriously though...never been able ot figure out the full battle dressat the range guys..shit we got people wearing camelbaks standing 6ft from a fking Coke machine... </div></div>

Dont forget their patch identifying their blood type stuck to their camel back and several other places.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Monchichi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand what you're saying about how silly it may look. However when I go to the range, I wear what I would be wearing if I got a (SWAT) call out. At this time, our team is wearing the new A-Tacs camouflage but I don't only train with my team. Perfect practice makes perfect and being that I'm one of the team snipers, I like to get out to the range as often as I can. <span style="font-weight: bold">Don't judge the person at first looks. There may be a reason why he's doing what he's doing.</span></div></div>

Yeah, they might just wanna be like this guy.

clipboard01hi.jpg

Old woodland BDU pants or brown propper pants just about everytime for me. Both are far more comfortable than jeans, and I don't care about them getting dirty. The woodland BDUs have grease, hydraulic oil, wood stain and paint on them and possibly 10 years old.

In the colder months, I throw on a brown fleece jacket. Warmer months a t-shirt. I may even be in tennis shoes. I've shot in nike shox, shorts and t-shirt before. Whatever I feel like wearing really.

I guess I never really noticed what others are wearing on the range?

Seeing as how my range is at home, i wear a robe, pajamas, or even one of those silly beer hats.

at the range i can see BDU pants, cargo pockets to carry mags / gear / etc. I can see any type of hat or sunglasses. I kind of see the point that vests or chest rigs alter buttstock placement.

However i will agree; i have seen some DUMBASS people at local ranges. ive seen the guy with a Dragonav or a Rockriver AR15 struggling to hit paper at 100. Ive seen people wear the skull full and half masks. Gangs in thier colors shooting pistol grip shotguns and pistols. Obese people in water packs and full chest rigs. Ive had leased hunters show up in bulletproff vests to hunt deer.

But i will say this. I have tactical gear. I have a place to practice it and i can reset my target range to run my own whatever "missions". I could say im fourtunate and these folks just dont have a place like me. But theres a blackhawk tactical range right outside city limits. Hell go to a arizona shoot house or pay for a "school" theres no excuses in my area. stop being such a dumbass

I prefer ass-less chaps and nipple pasties. I would go nude but shooting excites and i have sensitive knees. Completely utilitarian.

Because I own nothing camo at all, I can't speak as an expert. However, have you ever heard of the theory that you should train/practice as you shoot? Perhaps these guys are actually smarter than you think? If you hunt in a particular attire, would it be prudent to train in that attire?

Speaking of camo at the range, I just got back from the local indoor where I was two lanes from a guy with some sort of washed-out woodland that almost reminded me of old USMC herrringbone utilities with -- get this -- a black Red Jacket Firearms t-shirt in at least 6X. And his weapon of choice? A terminally tacticool 10/22 with everything in hounds-of-hell black that CTD and SG could possibly hustle in their combined catalogs. The commando was strong in this one!

Most of the people I see wearing it are either Marines or Navy either on duty or off, or the wanna be's - but I never see professional people wearing it.

On occasion at the PD range I would see people in it, but as i said above, never anyone professional...LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the 5'5" tall guys that are 450lbs... in all black (bdu or 5.11), w/ a Larue, HK, etc ballcap on their unwashed head, thigh rig (empty), tactical vest, etc... that waddle their asses up to do full mag dumps at 20ft w/ their AKs that have everything NcStar makes hanging off it.
</div></div>

After I read your post and before looking at your location, I was going to say you must be in Oklahoma!

I don't very often plan range trips, most of the time just decide to go when I have a couple hours with nothing to do. So typically I just wear what I have on at the time. Khakis and a polo or shorts and a tee shirt, doesn't really matter to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive had leased hunters show up in bulletproff vests to hunt deer.</div></div>

Not a bad idea in some areas.

I always see the requiste Walmart camo on the people who grew up in whatever AO the range is in. Me, well I have some worn cammies from the USMC, a few pair of wron BDU, DCU, adn ACU trousers that I usually rotate wear with my jeans. T-Shirt, and boots are the norm for me either way, and jeans or some form of personally used camo trouser is what I wear, just because it's mine, I own it, and it just happens to be what I pulled out of the drawer to replace the dirty pants from yesterday with.
As to a 'range suit', well, I'll leave that to the membership and the mall ninja crowd who wears that stuff. I own not one pair of 5.1 pants, no Oakley shoes, none of the latest cool whatever that comes from whatever the latest banner ad is. Me an the boys, we go out to shoot, do it right, and make each round count. The other's, if any, who watch, sometimes comment on the rifles, but are shut down if they so much as offer comment on some random high power cartridge they have no clue about by one of the boys who schools them proper on exactly what they are trying to talk smack about...ever see a 35 year old schooled by a middle or high schooler at the range? It freakin kicks ass!
The high schooler, he can probably school many of you on the finer nuances of a bottle of bourbon or good wine too! Ah shit, it has been a good year!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not that I go to the range all decked out in battle rattle but... who gives a fuck?
Who really cares? If that's the only thing someone has to worry about in life then they are doing pretty damn good I'd say. As long as it is not impeding on your's or anyone else's lawful activities then it really does not matter. When you start seeing idiots all decked out, doing spinning backflip, between the legs, double taps like they think they are fucking spetsnaz, flagging everyone and their dog then you have a problem. </div></div>

What he said.....

I kinda have to take a run at the 5.11 uber dudes once in a while so.....

DSCN0650.jpg

Just a little fun at 600 on a75 degree first of January.

sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer ass-less chaps and nipple pasties. I would go nude but shooting excites and i have sensitive knees. Completely utilitarian. </div></div>
Too funny

This is one area that I am very picky with. Pants are very important for a guy like me that does a lot of wandering through heavy brush and sage brush doing coyote hunting and scouting for deer/elk season. I don't like to spend a fortune on a pair of pants either. I found this place that has some good deals that will give you some good options that I've really liked...hope this helps! http://www.pxsupply.com/default.asp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That being said I have shot in a t shirt, flip flops and board shorts on more than one occasion. </div></div>

I'm having such a hard time envisioning that ...

2vifle9.jpg

sense its a pain in the ass to go to a public range most of the time, i get most of my enjoyment out of watching all the other super badass's all geared up for an apocalypse.

Most all of my cold weather gear is camo and I keep it in my vehicle for emergencies on the road in the winter or if the sudden urge to go hunting hits... its available. I rarely wear camo pants to the range but my M-65 coat and under armour hood come out often when the temps and/or wind call for it.