• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Camo at the range

Re: Camo at the range

The best was about a year ago when one of my ROTC instructors from the 10th SF (4 deployments to Iraq with the sweet cave man beard and all that) invited several cadets to go shooting on a saturday. Nothing official, just a couple guys and our personal weapons shooting for fun. We all had AR's and he wanted to have us run thru some shooting drills just for kicks.

Me and the kid who road out with me where in jeans and a t-shirt, same for instructor. We all watched as another truck pulled up with some of the other cadets. They got out, and oh my hell, two of the guys where in full multi-cam uniforms, plate carriers with full mag pouches up front, and all their personal purchase "go fast" gear, like oakley flight gloves and sun glasses.

Our instructors first words.... "Well you two look like a couple of dipshits!" Oh my hell! You should have seen how red their faces where, they just knew they where gonna show up and impress our Green Beret instructor with how "prepared" they where. Instead he gave them a 5 minute speech pretty much saying, if its not issued to you (uniform wise) dont wear it, and if it is issued to you (which it was not) dont wear it to a public gun range.

Tacticool = Tactitard

It's not just a range or gunshow thing for some folks. My nephew had free tickets to the Monster Jam event at the Dome last week, so I tagged along with my youngest son. I was amazed at the amount of dudes rocking camo to a monster truck event. Maybe camo is their everyday comfort zone wear?

I lean towards loud Hawaiian shits for the local rifle comps. The guys who show up in BDUs, knee and elbow pads and boonie hats crack me up considering we shoot off a concrete pad, on mats, and under shade.

Match days in the summer I wear either shorts or 3 color BDU britches that I picked up really cheap at a surplus store, a long sleeve fast dry fishing shirt (pick a color I have several from baby blue to OD) and a broad brimmed straw hat. The shooting points here are in the sun, and it gets into the upper 90s with associated humidity by midday, I want shade and ventilation.

At the bench rest range, what ever I happened to be wearing when I grabbed the rifle and range bag and headed to the door. Usually a company polo or a hoodie and jeans.

I see the guys in camo all the time, usually you can count on a mag dump two two from them.

Once in a while I will get my hunting jacket, gloves and hat on and shoot a 1/2 dozen rounds. My usual attire at the the range is cargo pants or shorts with a long or short sleeved t-shirt. I wear a fleece jacket and light gloves when needed. I usually have my head down and do what I do. People probably think I'm a dick because I don't socialize at the range.

It's funny when you think about it. The purpose of wearing camo is so that you are hard to see, but wearing it at a shooting range makes you stick out like a sore thumb. I usually prefer wearing cargo pants or shorts and a couple pairs of my shorts just happen to be camo. It's always nice to have all them extra pockets that cargo pants/shorts so you can carry more ammo.

Anyways, I can deal with the camo wearing wannabes, but the bain of my existence at public ranges is the idiots who feel the need to push their knowledge upon you. For crying out loud leave me alone! I clearly don't need your advice if I'm hitting everything I'm aiming at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive had leased hunters show up in bulletproff vests to hunt deer.</div></div>

Not a bad idea in some areas. </div></div>

Yeah, the deer around my place have started to carry AKs.

i like wearing shorts and a T shirt @ the range if weather allows it...most my shorts just happen to be camo because i like em that way. look around next time you go somewhere, camo has been really popular for the last 10 years, same as superman shirts. the only problem i see with people going all out with the uniform @ the range is if they are talking really loud like everyone needs to learn something from them... which is annoying no matter what they are wearing. however, there are several scenarios where that would be acceptable(teaching newbies...etc) im talking about the guy that knows everything and thinks u need to do what he is doing because youre doing it wrong. i say do what you want to and if someone has a problem with it...2 bad

i like wearing shorts and a T shirt @ the range if weather allows it...like the previous post most my shorts just happen to be camo/cargo because i like em that way and more storage. look around next time you go somewhere, camo has been really popular for the last 10 years, same as superman shirts. the only problem i see with people going all out with the uniform @ the range is if they are talking really loud like everyone needs to learn something from them... which is annoying no matter what they are wearing. however, there are several scenarios where that would be acceptable(teaching newbies...etc) im talking about the guy that knows everything and thinks u need to do what he is doing because youre doing it wrong. i say do what you want to and if someone has a problem with it...2 bad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tengo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best was about a year ago when one of my ROTC instructors from the 10th SF (4 deployments to Iraq with the sweet cave man beard and all that) invited several cadets to go shooting on a saturday. Nothing official, just a couple guys and our personal weapons shooting for fun. We all had AR's and he wanted to have us run thru some shooting drills just for kicks.

Me and the kid who road out with me where in jeans and a t-shirt, same for instructor. We all watched as another truck pulled up with some of the other cadets. They got out, and oh my hell, two of the guys where in full multi-cam uniforms, plate carriers with full mag pouches up front, and all their personal purchase "go fast" gear, like oakley flight gloves and sun glasses.

Our instructors first words.... "Well you two look like a couple of dipshits!" Oh my hell! You should have seen how red their faces where, they just knew they where gonna show up and impress our Green Beret instructor with how "prepared" they where. Instead he gave them a 5 minute speech pretty much saying, if its not issued to you (uniform wise) dont wear it, and if it is issued to you (which it was not) dont wear it to a public gun range.

Tacticool = Tactitard </div></div>

The range is no place to mess around, safety is number one, period. I understand that.

The actions of the two mall ninja's was a failure of the team leader. A good leader would have made sure everyone showed up in the correct attire. Dress blues or shower shoes, the leader must know his men. Guess that is the difference between E's and O's.

Only time I've ever worn camo to the range was when I was trying out some new hunting duds I'd bought. It was cold and windy at the range (just like in the field) and I wanted to make sure the clothing lived up to the claims (it didn't!) and didn't negatively affect my shooting (it did!...hard to shoot accurately with hypothermia).

I have been known to show up at the range wearing my motorcycle gear and practice drawing from concealment and shooting wearing my riding gloves. That's real world training that can save my life if the merde hits the ventilateur while I'm on my scoot. Otherwise, I simply dress for conditions in my everyday clothing.

Wisdom is a subtle thing. Outstanding Noah! Practice for reality. Wish there were more out there.
laugh.gif

Usually I do not have any cammo on except a booney hat. Most who go to the local hunting ranges around where are “hunters”. I usually get comments about shooting off hand or prone. I wonder how many of these guys have benches when hunting?

My take is if you want to "get into character" then go ahead and put on the cammies.
sometimes just dressing like you are in country is enough to give you the mental trigger even if its just for that day.
I think a lot has to do with the location of the clothing as well.
A public range with lots of new shooters, smucklheads, etc, youll see this more often.
My private range I dont see very often.
Unless I happen to be the guy showing of my recent tacticool shirt:)

My favorite was the story about the guy who was decked out and had a couple of smoke grenades in a chest harness. When asked why he had the smoke grenades, the response was, "For extraction silly."

I know of a certain tool bag that comes to the long range facility decked out in full multicam suit. Every patch imaginable on his sleeves and lets not forget the multicam bucket hat!

Then as he brags on his shooting capability he proceeds to miss 80% of the targets. It's actually quite funny, since he claims to be a better shot then most.

I have just come to call them range clowns, there is always a handful there at any given time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been known to show up at the range wearing my motorcycle gear and practice drawing from concealment and shooting wearing my riding gloves. </div></div>

That's a great idea, considering I carry when I ride.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My favorite was the story about the guy who was decked out and had a couple of smoke grenades in a chest harness. When asked why he had the smoke grenades, the response was, "For extraction silly."

</div></div>

now thats funny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tengo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best was about a year ago when one of my ROTC instructors from the 10th SF (4 deployments to Iraq with the sweet cave man beard and all that) invited several cadets to go shooting on a saturday. Nothing official, just a couple guys and our personal weapons shooting for fun. We all had AR's and he wanted to have us run thru some shooting drills just for kicks.

Tacticool = Tactitard </div></div>

The range is no place to mess around, safety is number one, period. I understand that.

The actions of the two mall ninja's was a failure of the team leader. A good leader would have made sure everyone showed up in the correct attire. Dress blues or shower shoes, the leader must know his men. Guess that is the difference between E's and O's. </div></div>

Difference between E's and O's? So, if you are enlisted, and you hang out with your enlisted buddy's when your off duty, you have your team leader decide how everyone will dress before hand? Lol, wow, I bet you have no hair on your knee caps do you.

The guys who would wear full camo to the range, are probably the same guys who put a condom on at the beginning of a date...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guys who would wear full camo to the range, are probably the same guys who put a condom on at the beginning of a date... </div></div>

Now thats funny!!!

this is all bit weird and believe it really is personal preferance...
here's why...when a few times ive rolled to the public range with an actual special guy i know well, everybody is in jeans but him. he's decked out full bdu's, acu's whatever. when i ask why he says its because he dont wanna ruin his civvy clothes and i oil my firearms too much for him to wreck his shirts,lol.
however when ive gone out for some elr practice a time or 2 my brother and i have went in boardshorts and t's but his shooting buddies were in full battle rattle like they just hopped off a brad and partway thru the day were bivuac'ing with lil solar cookstoves and everyrthing in the bushes near the farthest firing line.
does either bother me? no. but i do derive more personal sense of enjoyment from seeing the dressups.
to each his own.

i shoot in a speedo sometimes, firing a heavy recoilin rifle in a speedo jiggles yer bits in a wonderful type fashion

Im HIGHLY TEMPTED to go to a local range I know will be packed full of these guys and actually wear FULL clown make up , wig and suit.
Then when someone finally makes a wise crack ill reply "hmm im COMPLETLY outshooting ALL of you.... What do you suppose that says about you"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shoot in a speedo sometimes, firing a heavy recoilin rifle in a speedo jiggles yer bits in a wonderful type fashion </div></div>

... whilst delivering pizzas, no doubt.

10eit51.jpg

I see it all the time too. Totally painful. It got some lame that some of the matches say you can't wear camo. I wear what I normally wear to work. 5.11 Covert pants and some sort of button up shirt. I don't own any camo at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, since I rarely shoot from a bench, I usually wear clothes that I don't mind if they get dirty or dusty. I also like to wear stuff that is a little abrasion resistant. That could be old cammies, that could be Carhart work stuff. It all depends on what I grab when I get dressed to go to the range. I'm not a big jeans guy and the jeans I do have DO NOT belong in the dirt.

That being said I have shot in a t shirt, flip flops and board shorts on more than one occasion. </div></div>

I don't wear "full camo", but I might have some multicam here and there. No big deal to me, I shoot from the ground most of the time, so I wear the same stuff I'd wear to matches. Some of that stuff is camo.

There is a huge difference between the folks wearing a pair of cammie trou because they are comfortable and practical and the wanna-be COD heroes that come in uniform.

The full camo wearing clowns are the best part of going to a public range for me. I love them...they're hilarious...as long as they're being safe.

Not a public range story, but pretty funny. I was invited to a private range as part of a bachelor party. One of the bride's brothers is the full camo wearing kind. He shows up wearing a set of black SWAT style BDU's complete with matching boonie hat, highly polished combat boots (that have never actually been dirty once), chest rig with attachments for like 8 mag pouches, and a thigh holster...for each thigh. The best is that all this gear is squeezed over about 50-60lbs of excess body fat.

First thing first, it's the range for a cowboy action club his Dad belongs to. His Dad's rule is that we have to meet as a group before anyone gets to the firing line and talk about the range, safety, and quickly go over the functioning of each weapon. Given we have a couple of inexperienced shooters, I'm thinking this is a great idea.

Jr. steps up to give the safety brief. Delivered in an authoritative and slightly condescending tone, he goes over the safety aspects of the range (actually good info) and then begins to brag about his "match tuned" AR (actually a bone stock Colt, no float tube, single stage trigger and standard sites...but I digress) and armor piercing / anti tank rounds that would be illegal to shoot (standard surplus green tip M855). As he's talking about his surplus (and apparently magical) M855 ammo, he's giggling like a school girl.

Then to the range. First range we go to was a cowboy action town. Never done this before, looks pretty cool. There's facades for a saloon, post office, stable, etc and targets you shoot at at different ranges / stages. Pretty fun.

As I'm listening to Sr. talk about how the cowboy action shoots typically are run, Jr. is warming up doing some dry firing drills...complete with combat rolling in between shooting stations. Wow, just...wow. Did he just really do that?!?

Finally get to loading magazines and shooting. Jr. steps up to the first firing station...announces he's "going tactical"...the anticipation building...and thumbs the magazine release. Holy SHIT...couldn't have been choreographed better. The buddy I usually shoot with and I literally double over laughing.

Oh...this is the same guy who came over to his sister's house to help look for her stray dog in her residential town house community dressed as described above (minus the pistol holsters) with tactical bino's, lensatic compass slung around his neck and night vision gear for his "stake out."

Those guys provide so much rich content for comedy...I love them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a huge difference between the folks wearing a pair of cammie trou because they are comfortable and practical and the wanna-be COD heroes that come in uniform.

The full camo wearing clowns are the best part of going to a public range for me. I love them...they're hilarious...as long as they're being safe.

Not a public range story, but pretty funny. I was invited to a private range as part of a bachelor party. One of the bride's brothers is the full camo wearing kind. He shows up wearing a set of black SWAT style BDU's complete with matching boonie hat, highly polished combat boots (that have never actually been dirty once), chest rig with attachments for like 8 mag pouches, and a thigh holster...for each thigh. The best is that all this gear is squeezed over about 50-60lbs of excess body fat.

First thing first, it's the range for a cowboy action club his Dad belongs to. His Dad's rule is that we have to meet as a group before anyone gets to the firing line and talk about the range, safety, and quickly go over the functioning of each weapon. Given we have a couple of inexperienced shooters, I'm thinking this is a great idea.

Jr. steps up to give the safety brief. Delivered in an authoritative and slightly condescending tone, he goes over the safety aspects of the range (actually good info) and then begins to brag about his "match tuned" AR (actually a bone stock Colt, no float tube, single stage trigger and standard sites...but I digress) and armor piercing / anti tank rounds that would be illegal to shoot (standard surplus green tip M855). As he's talking about his surplus (and apparently magical) M855 ammo, he's giggling like a school girl.

Then to the range. First range we go to was a cowboy action town. Never done this before, looks pretty cool. There's facades for a saloon, post office, stable, etc and targets you shoot at at different ranges / stages. Pretty fun.

As I'm listening to Sr. talk about how the cowboy action shoots typically are run, Jr. is warming up doing some dry firing drills...complete with combat rolling in between shooting stations. Wow, just...wow. Did he just really do that?!?

Finally get to loading magazines and shooting. Jr. steps up to the first firing station...announces he's "going tactical"...the anticipation building...and thumbs the magazine release. Holy SHIT...couldn't have been choreographed better. The buddy I usually shoot with and I literally double over laughing.

Oh...this is the same guy who came over to his sister's house to help look for her stray dog in her residential town house community dressed as described above (minus the pistol holsters) with tactical bino's, lensatic compass slung around his neck and night vision gear for his "stake out."

Those guys provide so much rich content for comedy...I love them.
</div></div>

LMFAO! That is awesome! Give the gentleman a gold star... I'll admit, I've warn multicam pants to the range... It was laundry day, alright?

Dude, seriously, that is my favorite customer! Seriously, more money than sense, and gun ho! Send him my way!

I wear carhartt pants, a t-shirt and a rainier beer baseball cap to the range, and a carhartt hoodie if it is cold to the range. When I go hunting, I wear carhartt pants, a t-shirt, a carhartt hoodie, hunters orange and maybe a coat. I own LOTS of uniforms, BDU's DCU's and ACU's and I have never even thought of wearing them anywhere but work. There is no problem wearing old uniform trousers to the range, but fully decked out with all the tacticool gear? Retarded.

first of all and most importantly, all of you should do the world a favor and go out like Whitney Houston... secondly, I train like I fight, obviously, always wearing a gimp suit zipper mask and carrying an 18 inch purple double dong in my non-firing hand.... and of course this makes me invisible to the targets, and especially to any authorities... of note, families can somehow see me quite clearly at the range and usually tend to be offended... weird!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Decider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">first of all and most importantly, all of you should do the world a favor and go out like Whitney Houston... secondly, I train like I fight, obviously, always wearing a gimp suit zipper mask and carrying an 18 inch purple double dong in my non-firing hand.... and of course this makes me invisible to the targets, and especially to any authorities... of note, families can somehow see me quite clearly at the range and usually tend to be offended... weird!</div></div>

Man, your just pounding them out today aren't you. You've posted some nice ones in a few other threads.

Well, he has a grandmother who wants to suck him off, so I'd say he's 'Special'.

Evidently, someone did a cost analysis of hamburger out and steak in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never worn any camo item to the range. I wear that stuff all week, why wear it on liberty? </div></div>

Because the issue is with folks who call liberty "time off" and who don't typically wear camo at work.

HAve a camo fleece jacket that makes it to the range on the cooler days just because its comfy. Been shooting at a private club or on private land for quite a few years so the occurence of mall ninja invasions are quite minimal for me. Have shot a few public ranges here and there and just let my targets do the talking for me after folks tell me everything I'm doing wrong then go to pull thiers. The private club most guys look at the 100 yd boards and ask if i need to put one up, just tell 'em nope I'm at 300 n they keep to themselves.

I don't own any thing cammo or 511 or a tactical vest I don't even think I own a pair of black pants. My guns all show wear even my new ones.(because I use them). and i always get a kick out of the guys that show (I know one personally) up all geared out and they have just about every gun they own in there truck or car. All of them are in a padded case of some sort they take out there AR set it up like there going to shoot. Than they spend an hour or 2 walking around bothering every one with stupid questions and stories. They fire one or 2 rounds and than pack up. all of there guns look as new as the day they were bought. I just don't get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't own any thing cammo or 511 or a tactical vest I don't even think I own a pair of black pants. My guns all show wear even my new ones.(because I use them). and i always get a kick out of the guys that show (I know one personally) up all geared out and they have just about every gun they own in there truck or car. All of them are in a padded case of some sort they take out there AR set it up like there going to shoot. Than they spend an hour or 2 walking around bothering every one with stupid questions and stories. They fire one or 2 rounds and than pack up. all of there guns look as new as the day they were bought. I just don't get it.

</div></div>

Yup, those are usually the guys who try to boost their ego. Occasionally they might be new shooters or intimidated by those who know what they're doing. I guess we all have our awkward moments. I think that most of us who have been shooting for a long time are able to pick out the new guys from the d bag mall ninjas with sks "sniper rifles."

PS. I don' t wear camo at the range.

well since ya mentioned me sniper rifle ill chime in with wardrobe to match...gonna get a dedicated shooting sweatervest to cover up me "whitney houston facedown" commemorative sleevless tee, and only wear it for bustin caps with the boys. gonna use me shemagh to hide me identity and wear woodland bdu cutoffs over thermal undies tucked inside me muckboots.

Jeans , teeshirt and a good pair of boots if the weather is good .

Have an old combat jacket I have been known to wear with a beanie hat if it's cold .

My stuff has lots of scratches . Can't see the point in investing in a decent firearm and treating but like a piece of china