• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Camo ? for coyote hunters

Red Ryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm thinking of getting/making at least a partial ghillie for coyote hunting. Do any of you think a ghillie is "the shit" as far as coyote camo is concerned? Or are the typical camo patterns sufficient for the job?

As always thanks for your experienced responses.

Re: Camo ? for coyote hunters

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoRepeater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just blend in with camo, your scent way more important to deal with. </div></div>

Totally agree! Break your outline up, hold still, and watch the wind....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoRepeater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just blend in with camo, your scent way more important to deal with. </div></div>

scent is everything!

Buy some ASAT, really all you need. Bulky suits make it hard to get from set to set and creates uneeded time and noise when setting up.

I agree that ghillies are overkill. I'm all about the RealTree. Works like a champ for 'yotes and cats.

ASAT doesn't work in every location and neither does Real Tree.

The good thing about a ghillie is you can doctor it to match wherever you are hunting and you can modify it for the season. If you're ghillie is causing to much noise or time, you're not doing it right.

We use ghillies in the sand hills of sw South Dakota and 2 days later we might be in the rocky bad lands or camped out on a cliff surrounded by pine trees. All three very different and all three within a 10 mile radius. Multicam is the only patter I've seen that works relatively well in all three, and even that doesn't compare to a well built ghillie.

Depends...Most of the time I get by with wearing the top to my ghillie suit (the hat) but I've seen more than a few coyotes killed by a bored guy on a deer stand who called them in while wearing a blaze orange hat and vest....

I killed one a couple of days ago while I was doing pasture patrol while wearing work clothes...

I will say however, that good camo, a well thought out approach to the stand,and paying attention to the wind certainly ups the odds that you and Brer Coyote are going to have an encounter.

I just wear old faded Carhart Bib Pants and Jacket where I live and hunt. Sit with a hill, brush, or rocks behind me to break up my out line. I also sit in the shade if possible. Don't move unless you have to. Scent to a coyote is very important as stated here before. I will also say that old faded carhartts is pretty good camo for where I hunt most of the time. It blends in pretty well with the yellow grasses around here. I just were any regular camo during the green season.

hot topic...
depends on the weather, time of year, etc... if i make a set and for some reason have to be sky lined i definitely throw on my ghillie to break up my silhouette, where we are... the lighter the better, its hard to "blend in" in the open prairie... when we get some light snow and the soap weeds are sticking out, i go multicam top and overwhite pants, if i'm in the pines with fresh snow on the pines and trees, i go overwhite top multicam pants, mix and match, cant go wrong, all white right after a snow, got some new stuff from Sendero Man, that works great with our big blue stem and pasture legumes that stick out over a layer of snow.
coyotes don't just hunt on scent, you've heard the saying, the deer heard it... the bear smelled it... the eagle saw it... BUT, only the coyote did all three. this is very true and the more you predator hunt the more you'll learn this... to be successful, camo yourself as well as you can for your surrounding, know the wind, and get to your set quietly... plain and simple, your success rate will increase!!!

Yeah, I've got a lot to learn. I've only had one opportunity to go yote hunting and when I did, I wore head-to-toe woodland camo goretex and a camo sniper's veil. A tree had been uprooted so I lay down in the crater made by the unearthed roots so at least I wasn't skylining.

I bought a 2nd hand FX3 - should I get the caller setup, then move to my site and then wait a few minutes to allow things to settle down a bit before I actually start the calling?

I was also thinking of getting one of those comparatively inexpensive leafy suits I've seen in Cabelas - though I hate buying anything at Cabelas. Not nearly as "professional" as a ghillie but it might do the trick and less expensively.

Your experience really IS appreciated.

The key to getting yotes close is DONT MOVE . You dont need camo .

Hunt in street clothes all the time , just DONT MOVE , move while cammoed , busted .

Ghillies are a pain in the ass and are NOT needed to kill coyotes.

Camouflage color/pattern/type is towards the bottom of the list in a LONG list of "things" required to be a successful coyote killer.

About the only thing I do is "match the hatch". Fall, browns and tans. Winter, I wear all white. Summer, greens. Big thing is NOT moving and paying attention to the wind. Id rather be wearing hot pink and have the wind in my favor than have a perfectly matching ghillie suit and a wind disadvantage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ghillies are a pain in the ass and are NOT needed to kill coyotes.
</div></div>
opinions vary, i got a nice lil ROID hood from Ghillie Zen here on the hide, easy to roll up and conceal in my eberlestock, and slip over when needed... as far as that goes, camo is NOT needed to kill coyotes... it just gives you an edge.

As an old timer told me recently while on a coyote hunt as he was watching a guy get his ghillie set up to hunt coyotes, "we ain't needed nothin' more than blue jeans and a t-shirt".

It seems to me that wearing elaborate camo getups is more about making ourselves feel better about not spooking the animals than about actually not spooking the animals (that said, I wear elaborate camo too - Realtree AP from head to toe including gloves and full face mask - my gun is even camo).

It's movement that is the giveaway, not having "bad" or "wrong" camo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It seems to me that wearing elaborate camo getups is more about making ourselves feel better about not spooking the animals than about actually not spooking the animals (that said, I wear elaborate camo too - Realtree AP from head to toe including gloves and full face mask - my gun is even camo).
</div></div>

LMAO gotta love it!!!

Don't move when coyotes come in they are keyed up the guy that is moving his head back and forth is going to have less success.
In my part of the world I am usaully tucked in a sagebrush so I don't worry to much about camo.Just some mild colors and outline break up.Comfort is my thing warm and dry (as possible).Insulated coveralls,Good boots,gloves.Scent as mentioned is very important I leave my coyote gear (coveralls)packed in a grain sack with some sagebrush and always set up with the wind in my favor.

In my opinion the set is the most important part. This involves getting to and from it and of course wind direction. I think scent control is almost a waste of time. Stay down wind or forget it. It doesn't matter what kinda of scent eleminating clothing you have on. How much spray you put on. Or how much "cover" you have put out. Your not fooling a dogs nose. This holds the same even if you are brushed in with the best camo ever if you don't play the wind it's over. I'm not saying I go out there in blue jeans and diesel fuel covered work boots and just stay down wind at all but that is much more importand than your camo. I do try and match my saroundings to best of my ability but put most thought into the stand and wind. Just my .02
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As an old timer told me recently while on a coyote hunt as he was watching a guy get his ghillie set up to hunt coyotes, "we ain't needed nothin' more than blue jeans and a t-shirt".

It's movement that is the giveaway, not having "bad" or "wrong" camo.

</div></div>
I agree. I believe movement is one of the things that will cause a yote to bug out.
I believe camo can help but only if you do move.
If the coyote does not perceive a threat due to movement, noise nor due to smell then he is going to continue doing what he always does, lookin for something to eat.
Is camo always needed, no.
If you are blended in with your surroundings then I think you can get away with a bit more movement but they still will bug out if they notice movement and it does not not appear natural. If you look like a tree that is naturally moving due to a breeze, I don't think he is going to bug out.
If you are as quite as the natural surroundings and don't bring attention to yourself, then he is going to continue as normal.
...SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the coyote does not perceive a threat due to movement, noise nor due to smell then he is going to continue doing what he always does, lookin for something to eat. </div></div>

Sounds a lot like me.

You mentioned trees moving - I make it a point to move from tree to tree when moving while deer hunting. Then, they can act as a rest, second, they help break up my outline and third, if they're swaying a bit, they might help mask my movement.

To be honest, I have never worn camo hunting until I started archery and in the Marine Corps. Always have been very successful, especially using a rifle. We are allowed to shoot so far nowadays that you don't even need to try anymore. But as per your question for coyote hunting scent and movement would be your greatest enemy.

Gonna hafta disagree with movement in & of itself causing a coyote to 'booger'. Heck, if you are making a sound like a bunny gettin' his guts ripped out, an approaching coyote is <span style="font-style: italic">expecting</span> to see movement.

Coyotes' ain't turkeys and will tolerate a suprising amount of movement if they've not been messed with too badly. But once you do move, that coyote's focus is now on YOU, so best be ready to shoot! Or prepare to get winded, 'cause it's gonna circle your azz to confirm with it's nose what it's eyes just told it...

Color, or camo pattern is not as important as breaking up your human outline. That's where a employing a ghillie suit in marginal cover is more beneficial than any camo pattern...

One thing is fo' sho' and that's a coyote's nose. Once they catch a whiff, the afterburners kick ON and they're outta Dodge wit' a quickness!!! A bit of movement will not illicit that same instantaneous flight behavior...

I use aything i can find at Garage Sales and Goodwill, etc. Mostly old military pattern BDUs for pants and pastel prairie colored plaid quilted shirts i find mostly at Goodwill, SA. on the cheap. They work fine for me even for spot and stalk hunting that i like.

Wife always wants to buy me camo clothes at the sporting goods stores. I told he why bother buying that stuff brand new when i'm gonna' wreck it 1st time out carrying a coyote to a fencepost to skin...hopefully.

I'm a digital camo fan.

Love the SITKA optifade lines.

Works for me here in New Mexico.

Give it a look.
wink.gif

IMO to much work for what it does.
You either have to wear your ghillie to the stand and then its going to get snagged on any bush you rub up agaisnt, or its going to pick up burs like crazy and your going to get hot (pending its a true ghillie)

or you can carry your ghillie in a backpack or something and put it on at the stand, then thats just one more piece of equipment to carry, and then when your at your stand and supposed to be quietly sitting down your standing up jumping around trying to get it on

I wear just 3D camo, its the stuff with the cut out leaves sewed on and even it is a PITA at times and i hunt pine trees. i wear it when i feel like it, other times i just grab my coat and go. biggest thing i feel you want to camo is your face just so your big white shiny face isnt reflecting or looking out of place.

All that being said i still havent called a coyote but after hanging around predator masters for a year and after trying my own hunting and trying new things its a toss up, what ever you like and what ever makes you happy.

Bottom line is that you have to wear something. I've seen a lot of dogs taken by people in blue jeans and a camo coat at best. Minimize any movement and always keep the wind in your face.

Cover scents are overrate in IMO when it comes to dog hunting. The are going to smell the skunk piss, fox urine, or whatever else your wearing and then they're going to smell you. All within a matter of seconds.

I will say that pictures of you with a dead dog and a matching set of camos sure do look nice. See C-bass above. CD