• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

camo stencil source for diy camo paint job?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    Anyone aware of any camo stencils for a rattle can job?

Digital camo?

Multi cam???

Tiger stripe camo?

Any in particular?

If you use was paper and tape you can make your own. I forgot the exact way but look on YouTube and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Are you looking for the sticky kind or just cut outs ?
    I have been contemplating doing a kryptek myself but there are loads of different patterns if you just Google it.

Are you looking for the sticky kind or just cut outs ?
    I have been contemplating doing a kryptek myself but there are loads of different patterns if you just Google it.
    Sticky. I have a lot of contours to do, so they need to stick

I took a sheet of wax paper and I sed blue painters tape on both sides. Cut your shapes and then peel off the wax paper.

Pick out a pattern, put some of that green Frog tape on wax paper, draw the pattern on the tape.

Two tips. Prep is essential! Clean the surface four or five times. Twice with a degreaser and the rest with alcohol. Second, use a cloth to seal the edges to the surface and then paint the edges with flat clear to prevent paint creeping under the edges. To clarify. Use a small modeling brush on the edges and let that clear coat dry for 24 hours before applying base/primer coat.

I've used Branson Cerakote, Weapon Stencils, and a couple of generic brand stencils. Most of the yellow vinyl type stencils are sticky enough.

I used a Holly bush twig and various leaves laying around. Seemed to work out ok?
    20170604_154448.jpg

20170604_154506.jpg

I have purchased a few sets from this company

Sticky can be good or a pain as you get to clean off adhesive residue
    N52 is the stronger/ strongest magnet... If you are working on curved surfaces, they can help hold these in place.

You can also stack them for more pull. 3 stacked inside an AL handguard and 3 on top- magnets stick to each other through the handguard

It depends on what look you want... to break up the outline or to be funny. a guy who works at the local range did bunnyflage... bunnies as stencils

Reactions: army11b1980
    I got mine from Freedom Stencils. It worked fine, I did multiple colors/patterns. They turned out fine but after baking them a couple of times, they started to unstick. It looks great though with sharp edges.

What I did to paint my guns is lay down a base coat, sprinkle broom straw, add contrast, and repeat. Then if you want to break it up even more dip a paint sponge in something and LIGHTLY dab it on there.

If you want stencils, here's how to do it:

Find the stencils you want online that you can copy.

Take wide blue painter tape and lay strips out just overlapping so you can make a 12x8 sheet.

Tape or glue (spray glue) the copy onto the back of the blue tape.

Cut out the stencils with an xacto knife.

I did this once. But I usually come out better just doing it all by hand and that's what I do.

Reactions: atomic41

I like to do a light base color, and then do a combo of what some others have suggested. I use whatever leaves/grass/foliage i find in the nearby area, and then also use some extra netting and add in the darker colors (greens and browns). I like the way it turns out most of the time.

Attachments

• IMG_0519.jpg
      IMG_0519.jpg
      827.4 KB · Views: 535
    I just got done using the multicam pattern from freedom stencils. I thought it was a worthy purchase and it was a lot easier than drawing your own patterns and cutting them out. I have done that before, and it's more time consuming and not worth the cost savings vs just buying a set of stencils.

I have tried a few sponge ones but not exactly the way I want it just yet.

Contemplating trying this method out sometime. I've done the sponge camo a few times and like the results, but always interested in trying something new.

IMG_1706.JPG

I did this one for a friend using stuff from the yard. I think that's a factory synthetic Model 70 stock.

Reactions: Swampr42
    I recently used the primary arms multi cam stencil to do this one.

Attachments

• 5147514E-3039-48B1-AD75-BA703F8FB4B3.jpeg
      5147514E-3039-48B1-AD75-BA703F8FB4B3.jpeg
      496.8 KB · Views: 151
    • C9C335CA-308E-4D9F-898D-7AA4C5BAD2B8.jpeg
      C9C335CA-308E-4D9F-898D-7AA4C5BAD2B8.jpeg
      742.5 KB · Views: 204
    • C17781C3-BBEB-4CAA-BAD3-9D5F0358EE66.jpeg
      C17781C3-BBEB-4CAA-BAD3-9D5F0358EE66.jpeg
      437.6 KB · Views: 140
    Reactions: Tex_ponch
    Duracoat Russian camo stencils on the AR10
    Duracoat digital camo on the AR15
    Duracoat is super easy to apply with a airbrush as well. If the sh!t hits the fan and I need to change colors I will break out the krylon. Until then I’ll stick with cerakote/duracoat .
    3F33F03A-9F22-4CEB-A4F5-632568A1A91F.jpeg
    DFB0F023-D481-4C73-A737-8FDFC609C4ED.jpeg

Last edited:
    Went the nice/stencil route a few times...now it’s freehand. I’m not a artist at ALL.

Plus when you don’t take all day you don’t mind beating it up or wiping off and changing (or not removing at all, and just painting over)

10 minutes in the garage with some spray cans. Tape off glass, muzz, trigger, bubble level , rubber butt (some rubbers don’t like paint) and have at it.

9730D4C1-3E40-44C0-8551-05B900CD15C7.jpeg

Camo net.

Spray base color, throw on camo net and spray next color, turn the net 90* and spray the next color, etc.

Wiping off external oil and taping stuff off beforehand should take more time than the actual paint job (in my opinion).

Reactions: RS14
    Camo net.

Spray base color, throw on camo net and spray next color, turn the net 90* and spray the next color, etc.

Wiping off external oil and taping stuff off beforehand should take more time than the actual paint job (in my opinion).

Post some pics up so we can see what you mean and how it turned out...

Reactions: Stavey
    IMG_20200508_191101.jpg
    IMG_20200508_191126.jpg

+1 on the Freedom Stencils. They work well with Brownells Alumahyde Paints. I had to rough up my stocks on both of my rifles with 150 grit sand paper before I clean/degrease though.
    IMG_20200505_104008.jpg
    IMG_20200505_104050.jpg

I've recently used wepon stencils and stencils from Etsy on yellow heat safe vinyl. Sharp edges, excellent adhesion but easy removal. Blue edgelock and green frog tape work well as well.